Commanders expected to hire Ron Rivera

Sydla

Reaction score
He's better than Garrett for sure but not a sexy hire.

It's not a bad hire for the Skins, who above all, need some sort of stability (moreso than we do). I think Rivera would give that to them.

khiladi

Reaction score
Why is everyone excited to go pick up another Jason Garrett?

What? He got to the Super Bowl. His biggest mistake was keeping Schula as an OC too long and their seasons were ruined in part, because of Cam Newton’s lingering, major injury issues, which were a lot worse than what the public was told.

willia451

Reaction score
I'm not so certain that JJ's strategy isn't just to simply take his sweet time in a coaching "search" and then retain JG after all is said and done. Here is a quote I lifted from an ESPN article (quoting JJ):

"What other teams are doing, I'm not concerned about from a timing standpoint," Jones said. "I'm just not concerned about it. They can hire every name you've heard tonight, I'm not concerned."

His strategy may be to simply slow-walk his "search" and end up claiming that JG is the best coach available in his mind (after numerous high profile coaches have been hired), and then sign him again. It would not shock me for him to take that approach. The more time that goes by without us hearing something on either JG not coming back or another HC is coming in, the greater the chance that JG returns, IMO.

You are assuming JG would sit around and wait for that process to play out. His contract is officially up Jan. 14th. You are also assuming he would want to stay HC of the Cowboys. He might feel he's done all he can do with the Cowboys and its time to move on. Who knows?

The perception of Garrett in the NFL is far different than the perception Dallas fans have of him. So if he wanted to be a HC or GM in NFL next season with another team, he could probably do that easily.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
You are assuming JG would sit around and wait for that process to play out. His contract is officially up Jan. 14th. You are also assuming he would want to stay HC of the Cowboys. He might feel he's done all he can do with the Cowboys and its time to move on. Who knows?

The perception of Garrett in the NFL is far different than the perception Dallas fans have of him. So if he wanted to be a HC or GM in NFL next season with another team, he could probably do that easily.
You're correct in that I'm assuming JG would wait around, but I'm also assuming that JJ would say something to him to keep him waiting around.
I totally agree with you that JG will get another gig (HC or GM), and quickly, if told by Jones to look elsewhere. I assume that JJ would give JG the courtesy of quick notice, one way or the other, regarding his (JG's) future with the team. The more time that goes by that we hear nothing, the greater the chance that JJ retains JG, IMO.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Skins will definitely improve. Cowboys better make a smart decision on their next coach.

Aven8

Reaction score
He's an old school 4-3 guy but if I remember correctly, I think he's dabbled in using the 3-4 before somewhere along the way. But I think the Commanders have invested in several quality defensive linemen, and tackles specifically, so I think that should appeal to him.

Those two DT’s gave our Oline everything it could handle yesterday. Rivera will do well with them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Those two DT’s gave our Oline everything it could handle yesterday. Rivera will do well with them.
our Oline missing Tsmith and using our third string LG , sure..lol

how much did they lose by...I cant remember but it was at least 3 scores..so...

Aven8

Reaction score
our Oline missing Tsmith and using our third string LG , sure..lol

how much did they lose by...I cant remember but it was at least 3 scores..so...

yeah, Payne and Allen are scrubs....definitely not what Collins and Hill are.....:rolleyes:

blueblood70

Reaction score
yeah, Payne and Allen are scrubs....definitely not what Collins and Hill are.....:rolleyes:
no one said that but yesterday they built a house over Cam and Looney and thats why they looked better and we still dropped 47 on them and ran and passed at will...

its fact..sorry you cant see that..missing Smith and Xavier/Cwill is big deal

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
agreed but this did not help either

giphy.gif

What? He got to the Super Bowl. His biggest mistake was keeping Schula as an OC too long and their seasons were ruined in part, because of Cam Newton’s lingering, major injury issues, which were a lot worse than what the public was told.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just can't believe how many people think he's no better than Garrett.
hes not the last 5 years Garett had batter record, hes won one more thats ONE more Playoff game, his winning % is a bit lower and has only 3 winning seasons..

so NO,
they are basically the same coach...I dont want a retread coach anyway..let Washington have him..

MikeB80

Reaction score

We are screwed.

he is going to do a good job with that defense. They have draft picks and a bunch of talent there already. His defenses have been good everywhere he has been. HIs teams also run the ball and play physical.

I am mostly curious about who he hires on his staff. I imagine he brings Eric Washington has his defensive coordinator since he was with him for so long in Carolina. Also his nephew of course who is on the staff too.