Commanders expected to hire Ron Rivera

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I figured it would be a big deal. To get the guy at the very start of the hiring cycle without him even taking other visits, they must have made some big promises. Probably getting a raise and significantly more power than he had in Carolina. And even if he's fired, he'll very likely get the entire five year contract in salary. (Although you never know with Snyder).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he is going to do a good job with that defense. They have draft picks and a bunch of talent there already. His defenses have been good everywhere he has been. HIs teams also run the ball and play physical.

I am mostly curious about who he hires on his staff. I imagine he brings Eric Washington has his defensive coordinator since he was with him for so long in Carolina. Also his nephew of course who is on the staff too.

I think Rivera's critical hires have always been on the offensive side. Who he gets to coach that side if the ball will be key.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good. They can have Garrett-East. Aside from one fluke run with an MVP QB their careers are almost identical.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I think Rivera's critical hires have always been on the offensive side. Who he gets to coach that side if the ball will be key.

of course they will be critical but Hiring rivera means you are adapting your team to his mentality. Rivera's defenses are physical and have produced wherever he has been. They have a real chance to improve next year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
of course they will be critical but Hiring rivera means you are adapting your team to his mentality. Rivera's defenses are physical and have produced wherever he has been. They have a real chance to improve next year.

Definitely. I don't question Rivera's ability to mold a quality defense.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Good. They can have Garrett-East. Aside from one fluke run with an MVP QB their careers are almost identical.

He is not really like Garrett at all. He played for buddy ryan in Chicagos famous 46 defense, and then vince tobin after. He was hired by the best modern defensive coordinator not named Bill Belichick in Philadelphia, Jim Johnson. Then lovie smith hired him to run the defense in chicago..then onto san diego.

He has coached multiple fronts and played in multiple fronts. The guy knows defense in and out. No one is going to question his abilities on his side of the ball like garrett who wade wanted to help and then jerry stripped his duties on offense.

Garrett had no background like that at all.

Reaction score
I really like Rivera and think he's a great coach, but Snyder is much too toxic for anyone to succeed there.

Look how Shanahan and Gibbs worked out.
Shanahan had (requested) that the evil brucifer be brought on board.. setting the tone for 10 years of disaster.

Gibbs went to the playoffs 2 of his 4 years in his second stint, and that was with the boob Vinny Cerrato running things.. no draft picks and poor personnel decisions.. but even with all that, Gibbs still won a playoff game with subpar teams. (our last playoff win, 2005)

Rivera is not the flashiest guy, but his players love him, and he will bring integrity and accountability to a place that has been missing it for far too long. Also with the brucifer being shown the door, and the training/medical staff being shitcanned as well, things can only go up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And word has come out that he'll be keeping O'Connell in place at offensive coordinator. Not a surprise at all as his focus will clearly be on defense.

Now my next big question is whether or not they can retain Bill Callahan as the offensive line coach? He's arguably the best in the game right now but I'm not sure if he would stick around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People forget that he went 15-1 and to a Super Bowl with Cam Newton. He's a good coach.

He's much like others, great on one side of the ball, needs help with the other. Sean Payton is the same guy. He needs a strong defensive guy, or Payton's team go 7-9 too.

Cali_Skins

Reaction score
And word has come out that he'll be keeping O'Connell in place at offensive coordinator. Not a surprise at all as his focus will clearly be on defense.

Now my next big question is whether or not they can retain Bill Callahan as the offensive line coach? He's arguably the best in the game right now but I'm not sure if he would stick around.

Callahan is under contract. It’s Rivera’s call whether or not he stays unless he retires.