Commanders safety Taylor being sued in assault incident

burmafrd

Reaction score
Even Defense attorneys admit that you are for all intents and purposes pleading guilty when you say No Contest.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
When did he plead guilty? I missed that.

Even if you plea no contest, the judge still has the discretion to find you guilty. And the judge usually does. I don't know exactly what happened in this case, but I've never seen a judge find a defendant not guilty after pleading no contest.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Amazing, the ATV thief claimed that he never pursued the assault charges for the money.

First where is a link to show the evidence that this guy stole the ATV, also when was he charged?

Second Obviously its not about money because if you are suing someone for money you look for a large amount, not a small amount. The suit is about money he could have lost in earnings etc.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
If the charges were as flimsy as Commander fan would have you beleive, they would not have accepted any plea. If there is anyone that honestly believes that Taylor did not approach these guys toting a gun then they are absolutely kidding themselves.

Taylor is a Miami street punk. Always has been, always will be. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the next Rae Carruth.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
Some of us may be ignorant when it comes to being in trouble with the law... but MOST people are smart enough to abide by the law and not be in that situation in the first place.

regular people walk around assuming if you got arrested that you broke the law.

it is ignorance. breaking the law these days doesnt effect going to jail as much as perception and false accusations do.

if I go to retreive my own belongings from a house that used to belong to me now to my ex wife and she presses charges then I am a burglar even if they were my things and was my house. in the eyes of the law I am breaking it. one can go to jail for some time on burglary charges simply for being in the wrong place wrong time and having a cop that's judgement sways one way or another at the moment of arrest. policeman are human just like you and I and despite our pursuit of perfection we will never be truly flawless. the legal system is perfect its the people that enforce it that screw it all up

given the above fictitious scenario would I be a criminal in your mind?
I think every single person in this great land is due the respect of a benefit of the doubt

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
stealth said:
hundreds of innocent men plead guilty every year just to avoid a conviction on a felony charge.
misdeamenors mean very little while a felony means a whole lot.
if your lawyer says do this and it will all go away and we wont have to go through court and by the way you won't have to pay me for a felony trial either most would consider it.

not taking up for the guy at all but until you have finished law school or been in the same kinda trouble he was in your opinions are based on ignorance and ignorance is a very dangerous thing.

Not when there is no case against them, they dont, and I hardly think "hundreds" do every year

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Not when there is no case against them, they dont, and I hardly think "hundreds" do every year

its more like thousands
cases are founded on peoples opinions.
there are probably a hundred people on death row that didnt kill the person
probably a hundred or more men have been put to death for no reason other than "guilty"

three people can see the same thing and tell the story three different ways

blinders ruin life

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
stealth said:
its more like thousands
cases are founded on peoples opinions.
there are probably a hundred people on death row that didnt kill the person
probably a hundred or more men have been put to death for no reason other than "guilty"

three people can see the same thing and tell the story three different ways

blinders ruin life

You really dont have a clue, do you? The real world is not like Law and Order or the Practice :rolleyes:

Trust me when I tell you there are not a hundred people on death row that didnt do the crime they were convicted of. First of all, to put someone to death there is almost ALWAYS indisputeable evidence, it isnt like on TV where the case is on pins and needles. There are usually several if not many credible witnesses who claim to have seen to defended do what he was accused of. Second, do yuo know how many appeals are put through for people given the death penalty? If they didnt do it, someone would find out.

Watch a little less TV and read up on the real world

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
You really dont have a clue, do you? The real world is not like Law and Order or the Practice :rolleyes:

Trust me when I tell you there are not a hundred people on death row that didnt do the crime they were convicted of. First of all, to put someone to death there is almost ALWAYS indisputeable evidence, it isnt like on TV where the case is on pins and needles. There are usually several if not many credible witnesses who claim to have seen to defended do what he was accused of. Second, do yuo know how many appeals are put through for people given the death penalty? If they didnt do it, someone would find out.

Watch a little less TV and read up on the real world
since its not clear to you I have been to jail and have at least a part of my law degree finished though I am far from a lawyer.

the real world is what I am talking about the fairy tale that only guilty people are in jail is just that.

credible witnesses means what to you?
people that havent been to jail?
this isnt the forum for this debate but when I tell you you are slightly jaded on the whole thing please believe my words I know first hand, and for what it is worth I don't even own a tv and havent in my life watched a single show about lawyers.
I don't read about real life I live it

I watched matlock as a kid if that counts

TEK2000

Reaction score
stealth said:
since its not clear to you I have been to jail and have at least a part of my law degree finished though I am far from a lawyer.

the real world is what I am talking about the fairy tale that only guilty people are in jail is just that.

this isnt the forum for this debate but when I tell you you are slightly jaded on the whole thing please believe my words I know first hand, and for what it is worth I don't even own a tv and havent in my life watched a single show about lawyers.

I'm sorry to butt in on your testimonial post here, but, someone as studious as yourself, having "part of your law degree", might ought to practice writing with proper capitalization and punctuation. You're going to need it if you ever become a lawyer and live in "the real world."

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
DGreenFan87 said:
in response to why taylor had to take the plea, is it dumb to take a plea to a small offense and just do some community service so that you're able to get back to training for the upcoming season? or should he have put his pride first and just ride this case out, and then in turn not have as much time to train?

LOL... if Taylor was so serious about his preseason workout regimen, he wouldn't have been down in Florida to get in trouble in the first place...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
First where is a link to show the evidence that this guy stole the ATV, also when was he charged?

Second Obviously its not about money because if you are suing someone for money you look for a large amount, not a small amount. The suit is about money he could have lost in earnings etc.

Well, Moss is right about this-- in a lengthy article published not long before the trial, the alleged victim WAS interviewed, and DID say "this isn't about the money", or something close to that... I was cynical then, and hardly surprised now that he's filed suit...

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
I'm sorry to butt in on your testimonial post here, but, someone as studious as yourself, having "part of your law degree", might ought to practice writing with proper capitalization and punctuation. You're going to need it if you ever become a lawyer and live in "the real world."
the fun thing about the internet is I get to forget all my schooling and just type and type with no worries about getting a grade or pissing a judge off in the process. this is my island of not paying attention.

i wanted to be an english teacher for a long time, laziness not ignorance dictates how I speak and type when in a casual setting.

not every forum you go to is about one upping your fellow man. in reality its kinda silly no matter the setting.
I doubt I will take the bar either so really all my lawyering education does is aid my perpectives on certain things.
bad grammer and purposeful(ly) atrocious puncuation can also be tools useful in making people underestimate you.
I only whip it out if I need to.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
stealth said:

Don't mind HH, he loves arguing with lawyers and telling them they aren't that bright. He's done it with me and with Cobra. You're just the latest victim. Good luck on finishing your schooling... And from where I'm sitting right now, I don't blame you for not wanting to take the bar. Studying for it is no fun. Glad I have CZ to give me a break sometimes.:)

HeavyHitta31 said:
Trust me when I tell you there are not a hundred people on death row that didnt do the crime they were convicted of. First of all, to put someone to death there is almost ALWAYS indisputeable evidence, it isnt like on TV where the case is on pins and needles. There are usually several if not many credible witnesses who claim to have seen to defended do what he was accused of. Second, do you know how many appeals are put through for people given the death penalty? If they didnt do it, someone would find out.

HH, though I am largely in favor of the death penalty, it is rather naive to believe that innocent people don't get executed. You're qualifications of the type of evidence in this paragraph show there is at least some doubt in your mind as to whether execution is always warranted. There are so many things that go into a trial, so many variables that will change the whole outcome, and statistically speaking it is impossible for there not to have been innocent people executed. I don't think the number is that high, but it wouldn't be living in TV Land to believe that innocent people have been executed.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
HH, though I am largely in favor of the death penalty, it is rather naive to believe that innocent people don't get executed. You're qualifications of the type of evidence in this paragraph show there is at least some doubt in your mind as to whether execution is always warranted. There are so many things that go into a trial, so many variables that will change the whole outcome, and statistically speaking it is impossible for there not to have been innocent people executed. I don't think the number is that high, but it wouldn't be living in TV Land to believe that innocent people have been executed.

While this is true, it is not naive to believe that hundreds of innocent people do not get executed. Only ONCE in the history of the United States has an inmate been executed only to later be found that he did not commit the crime (thanks to DNA evidence).

There are always exceptions to the rule, but the great majority of the time people are not given the detah penalty unless there is true merit behind the ruling.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
While this is true, it is not naive to believe that hundreds of innocent people do not get executed. Only ONCE in the history of the United States has an inmate been executed only to later be found that he did not commit the crime (thanks to DNA evidence).

There are always exceptions to the rule, but the great majority of the time people are not given the detah penalty unless there is true merit behind the ruling.

Yeah but how long has DNA evidence been around?? 10-20 years max?? So multiply out that 1 person over the years.... not a big number, but that's not taking into account crimes that can't be proven one way or another with DNA evidence. And not to mention all the people that have been executed because of ineffective counsel.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Yeah but how long has DNA evidence been around?? 10-20 years max?? So multiply out that 1 person over the years.... not a big number, but that's not taking into account crimes that can't be proven one way or another with DNA evidence. And not to mention all the people that have been executed because of ineffective counsel.

You would need an extremely dumb lawyer to be given the death penalty for a crime you didnt commit