Commanders safety Taylor being sued in assault incident

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
You would need an extremely dumb lawyer to be given the death penalty for a crime you didnt commit
Or an uninterested public defender. Or a corrupt jury.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I know some very dumb lawyers and I know some very very smart lawyers and if I was faced with a charge the one person I would ask would be one of the dumber guys, charm and an ability to sell what you are saying to the jury can be more important than all the brains in the world.

if you think about it the courts process is about proving to another or more than one other person your point.

intelligence isn't the most important thing, only an ability to sell yourself and your client as right.

no offense to lawyers but salesmen arent that much different.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stealth said:
I know some very dumb lawyers and I know some very very smart lawyers and if I was faced with a charge the one person I would ask would be one of the dumber guys, charm and an ability to sell what you are saying to the jury can be more important than all the brains in the world.

if you think about it the courts process is about proving to another or more than one other person your point.

intelligence isn't the most important thing, only an ability to sell yourself and your client as right.

Did you learn this from the OJ trial? :cool:

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Did you learn this from the OJ trial? :cool:

jonny cochran is a smart and convincing guy

but sure use that trial as a guide we all know he killed them, but he got off cause his lawyers convinced enough people.

if the glove doesnt fit you must acquit

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
stealth said:

There are very few "dumb" lawyers. I mean come on, you've apparently gone through your first year at least. If you're at an ABA school, and you make it through your first year, you can't be "dumb." No doubt some lawyers are smarter than others, and some of those smarter lawyers can't effectively convey their thoughts and arguments to the jury. Not everyone is meant to be a litigator. But there are a lot more things a lawyer does besides trying cases in a courtroom. I guess you could say dumb, relative to their peers, but they're not what people normally mean when they say dumb.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stealth said:

but sure use that trial as a guide we all know he killed them, but he got off cause his lawyers convinced enough people.

if the glove doesnt fit you must acquit

So....go out of your way to commit a crime, and hope that your lawyer will bail you azz out?

Is that what you are condoning?

Jonny Coackroach is dead...! :cool:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
5Stars said:
So....go out of your way to commit a crime, and hope that your lawyer will bail you azz out?

That case was more about the FAILURE of the prosecutors. Remember the state has the burden of proving the defendant did it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Are you arguing that a defendant doesn't have the right to a competent defense??

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
There are very few "dumb" lawyers. I mean come on, you've apparently gone through your first year at least. If you're at an ABA school, and you make it through your first year, you can't be "dumb." No doubt some lawyers are smarter than others, and some of those smarter lawyers can't effectively convey their thoughts and arguments to the jury. Not everyone is meant to be a litigator. But there are a lot more things a lawyer does besides trying cases in a courtroom. I guess you could say dumb, relative to their peers, but they're not what people normally mean when they say dumb.

let me see maybe dumb wasnt the right word lets say lawyers that go with there umm jewels rather than their brains. and the lawyers I talk about are real practicing friends I am older than most college students and I know real world people. I have known many lawyers and been friends with more than a couple. But my own arrogance at times enables me to use the word "dumb" without considering the interpretation of that word.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
peplaw06 said:
Are you arguing that a defendant doesn't have the right to a competent defense??

You want to show me where I said anything remotely close to that? :cool:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stealth said:
But my own arrogance at times enables me to use the word "dumb" without considering the interpretation of that word.

You got that right! Now, that, I will agree with! :lmao:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
5Stars said:
You want to show me where I said anything remotely close to that? :cool:

"Bailing your 'azz' out" also could be construed as giving your client a zealous defense. So if you are faulting "Jonny Cockroach" for giving OJ a zealous and competent defense, then the my logical conclusion is that you don't think he deserved that.

And be careful slinging a dead guy's name in the mud, especially when you probably know very little about the man himself.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
peplaw06 said:
then the my logical conclusion is that you don't think he deserved that.

And be careful slinging a dead guy's name in the mud, especially when you probably know very little about the man himself.

Well, here is some logic for you! :lmao:

"my logical conclusion is that you don't think he deserved that."

That's not logic! That is your opinion about me...! :cool: Logic and opinion are not the same...are they?

Show me...where I said anything about someone getting a convincing lawyer...show me where I said that! Don't draw you own "logical conclusions"...show me the money, or shut up!

:cool:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Well, here is some logic for you!
Uhhh where??

That's not logic! That is your opinion about me...! :cool: Logic and opinion are not the same...are they?
How can it be my opinion about you?? I don't know you. All I have to go on is what you say. And what you said leads to the inference.

Show me...where I said anything about someone getting a convincing lawyer...show me where I said that!
I've already done this but ok. Let's try to explain it one more time... First of all you made a "logical conclusion" about stealth. When he said,
Originally Posted by stealth

Notice the bolded portions?? Then you come back at stealth with this gem.

So you made a "logical conclusion" that stealth must have been condoning somebody "bailing your 'azz' out, by saying cochran was smart and convincing. So if you're faulting stealth for condoning that, wouldn't that necessarily mean you don't condone it??
Don't draw you own "logical conclusions"...show me the money, or shut up!

:cool:
Here's the money. Still waiting for some logic from you.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
I hope it's not a re-post........I didn't see it.

MIAMI (AP) -- A man has sued Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor saying the NFL player brandished a gun at him and repeatedly hit him during a fight last June.

Ryan Hill filed the suit, seeking at least $15,000 in damages, June 27 in Miami Dade Circuit Court.

Hill suffered bruising to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

Taylor, 23, reached an deal with prosecutors last month after they agreed to drop felony charges against him in the incident. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

A fight broke out on June 1, 2005 after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles. Taylor struck Hill "with his fists several times," and called him a thief. After the initial fight Taylor left and returned to the scene with more friends and "pointed an assault rifle" at Hill, the lawsuit said.

"This is a useless, ridiculous lawsuit," Taylor's attorney Richard Sharpstein said Monday. "Hill stole Sean's property. Hill baited him, lured him and suckered him into a fight."

Calls placed to Hill's attorney, Leonardo Canton, were not immediately returned after hours Monday.

Taylor, a former University of Miami standout, signed a seven-year, $18 million contract with the Commanders after he was drafted in 2004. He has six interceptions and 120 tackles in two NFL seasons, but has become almost as well-known for his troubles.

Taylor has been fined seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a January playoff game. He was also fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Oh Lord, here comes the "you're idiot is a bigger idiot than our idiot's are" arguement.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Heavy- that so called one case of DNA proving innocent the executed man?
If you are talking about the Va case last year, the DNA came back and showed the man WAS guility of the rape that occurred before the girl was killed. AND he had always claimed he had nothing to do with it. Even his old lawyer, who had pushed for the test, admitted he was wrong and his client was guilty. NO DNA evidence has shown that anyone executed since 1977 was innocent.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, you Skins fans are welcome to that piece of crap... any of you who still support him are no better than he is...

So how do you feel about people who still support Irvin, Newton, etc? Didn't Tuinei die of an overdose?

Sorry I am not sticking up for Taylor in anyway shape or form, he is a thug, most players from the U are. But to compare him to Irvin and Newton is a bit of a stretch. Newton served two years in prison, Irvin has been arrested how many times?

If the DA had such a strong case, why was he begging for a plea? Taylor also turned down the first plea offer. According to reports, it was his father who convinced him to plea out and just get it over with.

Maybe you need to check your facts as well.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Why don't you get YOUR facts straight. Irvin was arrested ONCE. Newton bad times started AFTER HE RETIRED. Same with Tuinei. Only Irvin was messed up WHILE a COWBOY. THUG has been messed up even before he was a Skin and has kept it up NON STOP since. So your comparison is a joke.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Sonny#9 said:
Sorry I am not sticking up for Taylor in anyway shape or form, he is a thug, most players from the U are. But to compare him to Irvin and Newton is a bit of a stretch.

And where, pray tell, did I do that??

Irvin has been arrested how many times?

To the best of my recollection, once... same as Taylor...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Heavy- that so called one case of DNA proving innocent the executed man?
If you are talking about the Va case last year, the DNA came back and showed the man WAS guility of the rape that occurred before the girl was killed. AND he had always claimed he had nothing to do with it. Even his old lawyer, who had pushed for the test, admitted he was wrong and his client was guilty. NO DNA evidence has shown that anyone executed since 1977 was innocent.
Yes, but there have been a handful of death row inmates who have been released because DNA evidence exonerated them. They may not have been executed, but the DNA indicated they were innocent. Whether they really were innocent, I don't know. DNA isn't foolproof. But if not for the DNA, they would have been executed.

But the point remains... there has to have been innocent people executed before. These people who were released were lucky DNA evidence was being used during their imprisonment. It's a new technology, relatively speaking, and I'm sure before DNA evidence was used, there were some innocent people executed somewhere. It's just a matter of probability. And a hundred people is not very many, so it's not a stretch to say 100 innocent people have been executed in the US.