Commanders sign Tyson Walter, Pucillo

kmd24

Reaction score
bh32 said:
i just think dallas fans are over estimating their line.they brought in two new starters that have no chemestry with the other linemen.

Without a doubt, Dallas has improved the talent level with the Fabini signing alone.

I'll take talent over chemistry any day. At least chemistry can be developed.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I will give the skins their due their line is pretty good. The Rabach signing may go down as one of the best signings Danny Boy has ever made. If I had to choose between Jansen and Flo I would choose Jansen, he is nice tough nasty Tackle. If I had to choose between Flo and Samuels I would have to flip a coin they both are about equal. I can't trust Randy Thomas to stay healthy, and who is Dockery.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bh32 said:
i just think dallas fans are over estimating their line.they brought in two new starters that have no chemestry with the other linemen.
I think people are underestimating this line. What everyone remembers is the last 9 games from last season. The line this year will be two MAJOR upgrades over that line. I cannot express how much of an upgrade Flo is over Torrin and Fabini is over Petitti. Fabini and an extra year of healing will substantially upgrade Rivera's performance. Johnson will likely add some weight/strength this offseason. LA is gone sure, but every statistical analysis I've seen had Kosier over LA last year and he'll be competing with Peterson, a 3rd round pick who Parcells seemingly has high hopes for. On top of all this we have two deep threats lining up on each down in TO and TG. Any defense that stacks the line can count on 6 on the board. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by the line this year.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
bh32 said:
you guys have a nerve to talk about washington's offensive line.the dallas line couldn't block a pop warner teams deffensive line.

A bit of amusing hyperbole, but where exactly have you seen any of us bragging about out offensive line??

Unlike you mindless Skins homers, we recognize that the offensive line was a problem for the Boys... at the same time, YOUR offensive line wasn't a whole lot better, statistically... you guys gained FIVE YARDS more per game...

In fact, the Cowboys offensive line actually did a bit BETTER job of pass blocking than the Skins did-- they allowed 36 sacks in 555 attempts, the Skins gave up 2 more (38 sacks) in 3 fewer attempts (552)... that's in spite of the Skins having the more mobile quarterback, too; Brunell doesn't run like he once did, but Bledsoe is and always has been a statue back in the pocket...

Those facts, they DO get in the way of a perfectly good rant, don't they?? :D

silverbear

Reaction score
rdsknsbaby said:
all of you cowboy fans... look at dbairs post... thanks

The facts are that the Skins' offensive line was a little better when it came to run blocking, the Cowboys' line was a little better when it came to run blocking, and when the dust settled, the Skins had gained five yards more per game than the Cowboys did last year...

Five whole yards...

I have offered statistical arguments that support the claims above earlier in this thread... so far, not one of you witless homers has bothered to challenged those FACTUAL arguments, which is of course all the proof we need that even you recognize that you're talkin' out your collective a$$e$ here...

Dbair's argument was not relevant at all to the discussion we're having about the relative merits of our two teams' offensive lines...

silverbear

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
There is absolutely no talking sense to Commanders fans. You can beat htem in every argument, but they just don't get it.

That's OK, at least my fellow Cowboys fans get to have the fun of watching them get their homeristic arguments shoved down their throats...

And of course, that will make the inevitable Skins fan meltdown this coming season that much more enjoyable to watch...

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:
You're crazy. Even your fellow Cowboy fans (with brains) agree with me.

LOL... and yet, my FACTS stand unrefuted...

Fact-- the Skins had the statistically higher rated QB (by a razor-thin margin, but it is a fact)... at best, the Cowboys can claim a push here...

Fact-- the Skins have the better running back corps, and were more productive in that area last year... mind you, I like the POTENTIAL of our running back corps for the future, but Clinton Portis is, at this point in time, the bigger threat on the field...

Fact-- The Cowboys have a Pro Bowl TE in Jason Witten, but Chris Cooley's numbers weren't that far off of Witten's... you'd have to call this one a push...

Fact-- the Cowboys had no WR that put up the stats that Santana Moss did last year... on balance, the Cowboys' were a little deeper in talent at the position, but I'd have to call this one a push too...

So, you guys had a QB every bit as good as ours, a better RB corps, a TE just about as good as ours, and a WR better than any of ours last year... IOW, you had a clear and undeniable advantage when it comes to the skill positions on offense...

And yet, the Skins gained FIVE YARDS more per game than the Cowboys did last year... clearly, only a card-carrying idiot would claim that the Skins' offensive line was clearly superior to the Cowboys'...

And that's despite the way the Skins stayed healthy virtually all season on the offensive line, while the Cowboys battled serious injury issues (including Pro Bowler Flozell Adams missing more than half the season)...

And we have upgraded our offensive line starters this year, with the addition of Kyle Kosier and Jason Fabini... you guys will be going with the same starters...

Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas are all excellent players that deserve the pro bowl each year.

Spoken like a true HOMER... the ONLY player you have with true Pro Bowl potential is Chris Samuels... Jansen and Thomas have NEVER made the Pro Bowl, and until they do, it's idiotic for you to say they "deserve the Pro Bowl each year"...

Just one bit of rebuttal will suffice to destroy that BS, I think:

Did Jon Jansen "deserve the Pro Bowl" in 2004?? That was the year he missed the ENTIRE SEASON, moron...

[Blah blah blah stats stats stats...

Stats are FACTS... FACTS win arguments... sadly for you, the only thing you've offered to support YOUR argument is your obviously biased, idiotic OPINION... whenever somebody dismisses stats with a sneer the way you just have, it is a tacit admission that the stats are not on their side... IOW, the FACTS aren't on their side...

You lose...

And that awful offensive line in Washington

Where did I say that the Skins' offensive line was "awful"?? That's a straw man, and you know it; MY argument was that the Skins are not "In fact, the Skins have the best O-line in the NFC (and easily top 5 in the league)"...

I believe that was the argument YOU made... there is a whole mess of room between "top 5 in the league", and "awful", and that's where the Skins' offensive line properly belongs...

Of course, that's before you consider their total lack of DEPTH... the Skins have five decent to good offensive linemen, and NOTHING ELSE...

Anyway, your attempts to distort my arguments into something more extreme than what they really are is an obvious indication that my REAL arguments have validity... worse, that feeble attempt at distortion proves you KNOW that my REAL arguments have validity...

was one injury (Randy Thomas) from probably beating Seattle in the second round of the playoffs.

Which is, of course, indicative of the utter lack of depth that I talked about in the last section... that was a problem I warned you Skins fans about last year, that the offense would completely fall apart if the injury bug bit on the offensive line...

Look how right I was, LOL... if the injury bug had bitten earlier in the season, you guys wouldn't have gotten near the playoffs... and now, you guys are in the EXACT same position; if you're counting on Tyson Walter and Mike Pucillo to start for you in the event of injury, you'd best pray every night to the Gods of Football to keep your starters healthy all season long...

People that know anything about football saw how that drastically affected our offense against TB and Seattle.

And yet, Gibbs and Company haven't done a whole lot to address the problem... they lost Ray Brown, their ONLY viable backup, to retirement, and they let Cory Raymer hit the free agent highway... and to replace them, they brought in Cowboys reject Tyson Walter (who couldn't even play for the Houston Texans, arguable the league's WORST offensive line), and Mike Pucillo, who's so brittle that he's only played in 25 of 64 games thus far in his NFL career... a stiff and a porcelain doll...

Tyson Walter sucks, Raymer was better than he is (and Raymer is pretty bad his own self), and Mike Pucillo could pull a hamstring getting out of the shower...

It's bad enough that you so overrate your starters, but if you really had the knowledge of football that you're trying to claim, you'd know that in evaluating an offensive line, you have to also factor in the depth (or in the Skins' case, the lack of depth) on that line... you clearly haven't done that...

So, do you have anything other than your BS opinions to offer, or do you just wanna run up the white flag?? :lmao:

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:
Depth moves fellas, if we have to rely on them long term its not a good situation

This is true... OTOH, these depth moves aren't really GOOD depth moves... there were better players available, like C/G Kendyl Jacox, G/C Jonathan Goodwin (who paid the Skins a visit on Tuesday), T Chad Slaughter. C/G Grey Ruegamer, T Matt Stinchcomb...

The key thing with both of them is they can play multiple positions, which is what Gibbs was looking for in our "depth" guys

But again, there were better options out there that can play multiple positions... I'm telling you, I've watched Walter play for the Cowboys, and while he can play multiple positions, he's not real GOOD at ANY of them...

Considering the way we ran the ball and protected in December with our starters, I am very comfortable with the o-line situation

I wouldn't be if I was a Skins fan... your starters are quite acceptable, but what happened in the playoffs last year should have driven home the point quite forcefully, that the Skins badly needed to upgrade their depth on the OL... I'm sorry, but Pucillo and Walter do NOT solve that problem... Goodwin would have been a nice start, though... I wouldn't mind the Boys bringing him in for a look-see...

To me, the Skins went rummaging through the bargain bin for offensive linemen, perhaps because they have now come close to exhausting their ability to renegotiate contracts and free up more cap room... if that's the case, I wouldn't expect them to bring in any "starting caliber" OLB, like Gibbs has said he wants, or any quality DBs for depth...

I respect that you have a more level-headed reading of your team than some of the mindless homers who have been posting to this thread, but I think you're being a tad too optimistic about the depth on your OL...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Homerun Trot said:
As bad as Walter is, that Pucillo guy is ten times worse. Both signings are great news for us. To quote BP if that's "Depth" then the Skins are about as deep as a kiddie pool on the OL.

Something funny about a Cowboys fan calling out another team for offensive line depth issues considering what we have to work with in 2006.

calico

Reaction score
I see all these skins fans here I cannot help but see that they are all a bunch of

Reaction score
Damn silverbear! 4 quality posts in a row. Anywho, the Skins O-line is damn good and with the recent signings for the Boys, there are right behind them. IMO, it all come down to athleticisim and coaching. Being able to do screens and counter's is where I think a O-line flourishes (like Denver and KC). Or you get a bunch of BIG **'ers and run it down your throat (a la Pittsburgh). As of right now the starting line for the Skins are damn good. God help us if one of them gets injured.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:
The Skins are better at every O-line position than the Cowboys.

In fact, the Skins have the best O-line in the NFC (and easily top 5 in the league) now that Hutchinson is a Viking.

Samuels, Jansen, and Thomas are perrenial pro-bowl contenders. Rabach and Dockery are very solid.

KC's line is much worse now that Shields is retired/retiring. Their overall offensive scheme and talent made that line appear more impressive than they actually were. That's now the Commanders' position with Al Saunders.

Samuels was in the Probowl either last year or the year before and Jansen has never been to a Pro Bowl or Thomas if I'm not mistaken..so where does the perrenial pro-bowl contenders part come in????

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
IMO, Dallas' offensive line is terrible ... or at least it was last year. I don't know and don't care anything about Washington's.

What's interesting is Walter was accused of using the "N" word during his feud/scuffle with LeCharles Bentley in college. It's just ironic that he's now playing for a team who many people feel have a racist mascot name.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
A bit of amusing hyperbole, but where exactly have you seen any of us bragging about out offensive line??

Unlike you mindless Skins homers, we recognize that the offensive line was a problem for the Boys... at the same time, YOUR offensive line wasn't a whole lot better, statistically... you guys gained FIVE YARDS more per game...

In fact, the Cowboys offensive line actually did a bit BETTER job of pass blocking than the Skins did-- they allowed 36 sacks in 555 attempts, the Skins gave up 2 more (38 sacks) in 3 fewer attempts (552)... that's in spite of the Skins having the more mobile quarterback, too; Brunell doesn't run like he once did, but Bledsoe is and always has been a statue back in the pocket...

silverbear, you should just let this one go. the skins line is pretty good- certainly better than dallas'. no homerism here- thats just the way it is. your own people are admitting as much.

if you are trying to pull out stats to support your argument, you also might want to consider other variables such as the quality of WR targets outside of moss. i havent seen any mention of yards per rush either. edit- you sort of mentioned it.

not trying to instigate, but this debate is silly.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cha Cha Changes

Time to make a Change...

Cha Cha Changes

Time to move this thread to the opinion Zone

Cha Cha Changes

:D

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
Chief said:
It's just ironic that he's now playing for a team who many people feel have a racist mascot name.

its unfortunate that those people dont look into the issue a little deeper. sometimes sensitivity confuses common sense.

SkinsFan07

Benched
Reaction score
DCBoysfan said:
Samuels was in the Probowl either last year or the year before and Jansen has never been to a Pro Bowl or Thomas if I'm not mistaken..so where does the perrenial pro-bowl contenders part come in????

If you watched or listened to anybody talk about Thomas or Jansen, you would know why they were perrenial pro-bowlers.

Randy Thomas was a pro-bowler, but b/c of his injury they had to replace him. So basically you can say that Thomas and Samuels were pro-bowlers this past season. Jansen wasn't so bad himself.

We all know that any NFL coach/owner would take Thomas, Samuels, and Jansen over the cowboys "best 3" offensive linemen, anyday.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:

What facts? You're lying. Last season Brunell was sacked 27 times. Meanwhile, Bledsoe was sacked 49 times, not 36. :rolleyes: These stats from espn.com, where do you get your facts from?

Futhermore, using total yards per game is intentionally being vague. The sad thing is, you probably actually believe the load of **** you just posted. Portis gained 523 more yards than Jones, yet somehow, your OL did a better job last season. :lmao2: Portis may have played in 3 more games, but did it matter when he averaged more per carry anyway?

Don't ever call a Skins fan a homer when you can't post without lying about your team. You are the very definition of a homer.