Commanders Still 7m over the cap of 102m...maybe

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I don't know who the other 3 teams are. But even though they are over it shouldn't be hard to get under being able to restructure contracts now.

Commanders | Team remains over the salary cap
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:04:36 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Commanders are one of four teams over the new salary cap limit. The Commanders are about $7 million over the cap.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
CAPPPPPP HEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Dollars to Doughnuts that they get under the cap (because most of those restructured contracts were ready incase a CBA wasn't reached, now they will restructure in different ways), and they go after a FA or two they really want. But still aren't extremely active like they weren't last year.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
DC radio said they'll make one or two significant signings. They're eyeing Randel El, Isaac Bruce, and Trevor Pryce.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
bbgun said:
DC radio said they'll make one or two significant signings. They're eyeing Randel El, Isaac Bruce, and Trevor Pryce.

I'm hoping they go after a D-linemen and maybe a LB.

None of the WR's out there make me think they are that much better than ones in the draft (for the cost).

speedkilz88

Reaction score
When is their deadline to get down to 102? Is it now the same as FAgency?

Natedawg44

Reaction score
cant the broncos resind their cuts of Anderson and Pryce if the want to since it was last Thursday and the cap is now 10 million higher?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
sooo we should see something significant done by washington within the next couple of hours?

clayman

Reaction score
Isn't it 6pm tomorrow...i don't know...They haven't cut anyone yet minus Lavar so when they make their 4-6 cuts they will be under by 2mil or so before any bonus proration.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I don't know who the other 3 teams are. But even though they are over it shouldn't be hard to get under being able to restructure contracts now.

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Commanders are one of four teams over the new salary cap limit. The Commanders are about $7 million over the cap.

:dissskin: :suxskins: :skins:

THIS BRINGS A SMILE TO MY FACE...:lmao2: :lmao: :laugh2: :laugh1:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
bbgun said:
I read that Pryce was almost certain to go to Cleveland. Randel-El will want more than they can offer, and Issac Bruce... Well, he's ready for the glue factory.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Get a load of this:

http://Commanders.scout.com/2/507127.html

:bang2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
vicjagger said:
Get a load of this:

From the article:

The Commanders also have 8 key players who have large roster bonuses due in 2006 (totalling $13.650m) that could be guaranteed and spread out over the remaining life of the contract or to 2010 if the tenure is longer. This move would result in a further $10.4m in savings for 2006, bringing the Commanders into cap compliance with $7m in cap space already created.
This is what is considered "poor cap management".

ZenItRam

Reaction score
vicjagger said:
Get a load of this:

but can/will they make all those moves? for them to get 20 mil below the cap would be an incredible feat of cooperation from the players.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ZenItRam said:
but can/will they make all those moves? for them to get 20 mil below the cap would be an incredible feat of cooperation from the players.
Of course they won't do all that's described in that article. I predict they'll be about 7-10 MM under. Thats just enough to fill the roster out. *NOT* enough to make any significant acquisitions. They couldn't possibly afford any sort of bidding war. It's not cap hell, but with a team with so many holes, its not cap heaven.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I think they will wind up around the 7 million under and count rookie pool of aobut 3 million considering they don't have a first round pick and that leaves them around 4 to play with in FA now if they cut some players they could get more.

alancdc

Reaction score
I don't see how the Commanders have made such outlandish moves and it never seems to catch up to them, but in the late 90's and early 2000's we were carrying millions of dead money? What is the deal?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jksmith269 said:

THE NUMBERS GAME

Just as the CBA has been reconfigured, so have the salary-cap numbers for the teams at the start of free agency. But the extension means that only four teams -- the Washington Commanders, the Indianapolis Colts, the Oakland Raiders and the Kansas City Chiefs -- will have to restructure contracts and/or release players to get under the cap.

The Commanders are about $7 million over the cap, the Colts about $5 million, the Raiders about $4 million and the Chiefs about $2.5 million.

But there are some teams that could practically horde the free-agent market. With the CBA extension, the Minnesota Vikings are now $31.5 million under the salary cap, the Green Bay Packers are $30 million under the salary cap, the Arizona Cardinals are $26.5 million under the salary cap and the Cleveland Browns are $24.5 million under the salary cap.

Gentlemen, start your checkbooks.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9295762