CFZ Comparing age and tenure of 31 NFL GMs to JJ and SJ

ArtClink

Reaction score
Current GMs who have won SBs:
  • Brett Veach- 3 since 2019
  • Jerry Jones- 3 between 1992-95
  • Les Snead- 1 in 2021
  • Jason Licht- 1 as GM in 2020 (won 1 as Director of Player Personnel in New England)
  • Howie Roseman-1 in 2017 as Executive VP of Player Personnel in Philly in 2017
The other thing to remember is there have been over a dozen GMs who have won SBs who are no longer employed because they retired or were fired for not continuing to get results.
Tell me more about these GMs who get fired for not producing results? We know nothing about that here in Dallas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Like with any business we think their product or service suffers or is inferior because of the mom and pop operation, we walk away from it and look for better products and services.

If we continue to financially support a crap or dysfunctional product, guess what… it’s not going to change. And why should they.

Patrons of Cowboys Football certainly have an odd way of showing dissatisfaction with the product this Jone$ family is producing. Either we’re idiots or so addicted to their brand we’ll take whatever crap they dish out.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He would be 1000 times better because BobHaze really wants to us win as do all fans. And history will be brutal against the fuhrer and his stubborn insistence to run every facet of the organization.
Winning championships wasn’t enough with Jimmy.

Jethro isn’t going to allow anyone else to be the face of his franchise and be in position to receive more credit. That’s just not as much fun as winning championships.

Just amazes me after all of these years everyone doesn’t see or get it.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Like with any business we think their product or service suffers or is inferior because of the mom and pop operation, we walk away from it and look for better products and services.

If we continue to financially support a crap or dysfunctional product, guess what… it’s not going to change. And why should they.

Patrons of Cowboys Football certainly have an odd way of showing dissatisfaction with the product this Jone$ family is producing. Either were idiots or so addicted to their brand we’ll take whatever crap they dish out.
I stopped buying anything Cowboys related over a decade ago. I give my money to local teams who actually play in their conf championships more than once every 30 years. The Dallas Stars and Dallas Mavericks are very deserving and oh yeah our baseball team just won a championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To this father and son dysfunctional combo it’s actually quite impressive they’re able to put together a playoff caliber team. Which unfortunately is enough for most fans to hang on by a thread hoping it will finally turn.

You’d think with the very impressive stats and data Bobhaze has put together here that would be enough to bring about change. But unfortunately it’s not and will never be.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Futile exercise. Only death will change the situation.

That's the answer, move on.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I stopped buying anything Cowboys related over a decade ago. I give my money to local teams who actually play in their conf championships more than once every 30 years. The Dallas Stars and Dallas Mavericks are very deserving and oh yeah our baseball team just won a championship.
The problem is with equal TV sharing it doesn’t matter. Cowboys receive same amount as long as you are watching any game. He keeps enough top stars to sell merchandise.

And unfortunately once the stadium was built, season tickets sold and PSL’s committed , it’s over. It’s why he doesn’t even care whose butts are in the seats.

That’s the only way to hurt him is at the stadium. And with Texas record breaking migration from other states they are bringing their fandom with them . AT&T is a great venue to see their favorite team not from Texas .

lostar2009

Reaction score
Still didnt learn from Parcels. Always draft and look for OL, DL, and especially RB and LB.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The problem is with equal TV sharing it doesn’t matter. Cowboys receive same amount as long as you are watching any game. He keeps enough top stars to sell merchandise.

And unfortunately once the stadium was built, season tickets sold and PSL’s committed , it’s over. It’s why he doesn’t even care whose butts are in the seats.

That’s the only way to hurt him is at the stadium. And with Texas record breaking migration from other states they are bringing their fandom with them . AT&T is a great venue to see their favorite team not from Texas .
I understand that my dollars don’t make any difference so it’s a simple matter of principle.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Great post and great research and analysis. It’s definitely a younger man’s game since NFL GMs spend 12+ hours a day trying to improve their rosters since, as you said their job depends on it.

If we were making deep playoff runs, I could care less how old our GM is. But since those playoff runs are ancient history and there’s plenty of younger Jones boys to assume command, the future is raven black in Dallas.

Is it me or has Stephen Jones aged worse than David Lee Roth?
48662749-0-image-a-14_1633135786202.jpg

I don’t care what the fuhrer and son say, we won’t mk a deep playoff run until the team is owned by someone who really wants to win at all cost. Since the fuhrer’s primary goal is to be a rock star and be the face of the franchise, there’s little hope that the fuhrer or his son will ever sells the team. As a Philly fan told me 15 years ago “We love Jerry and hope he lives to be 100 because you guys are screwed!”.
Oh wow!! David Lee Roth did not grow old gracefully! Lol. And I agree, Stephen looks way older than 59!! Jerry looks better! Lol

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Below is a list of the 31 General Managers in the NFL who are also NOT NFL owners. Also included in the list is their age and how many years they have been in that current job as GM.
  • Arizona Cardinals | Monti Ossenfort, age 46, been GM in Ari 1 year. (Previously GM at Tenn 4 years)
  • Atlanta Falcons | Terry Fontenot, age 43, been GM in Atl since 2021.
  • Baltimore Ravens | Eric DeCosta, age 52, been GM in Balt since 2019.
  • Buffalo Bills | Brandon Beane, age 47, been GM in Buff since 2017.
  • Carolina Panthers | Dan Morgan, age 45, in his first year.
  • Chicago Bears | Ryan Poles, age 38, been GM in Chicago since 2022.
  • Cincinnati Bengals | Duke Tobin, age 52, (technically he’s the “Director of Player Personnel” but serves as de facto GM for owner Mike Brown) He’s in his 24th year as bengals executive
  • Cleveland Browns | Andrew Berry, age 36, been GM in Cleveland since 2020
  • Denver Broncos | George Paton, age 53, been GM in Denver since 2021
  • Detroit Lions | Brad Holmes, age 44, been GM in Detroit since 2021
  • Green Bay Packers | Brian Gutekunst, age 50, been GM in GB since 2018
  • Houston Texans | Nick Caserio, age 48, been GM in Houston since 2021
  • Indianapolis Colts | Chris Ballard, age 54, been GM in Indy since 2017
  • Jacksonville Jaguars | Trent Baalke, age 60, been GM in Jax since 2021.
  • Kansas City Chiefs | Brett Veach, age 46, been GM in Kansas City since 2017.
  • Las Vegas Raiders | Tom Telesco, age 51, in his first year as GM in Vegas (was chargers GM from 2013-23)
  • Los Angeles Chargers | Joe Hortiz, age 48, in hist first year as GM of chargers.
  • Los Angeles Rams | Les Snead, age 53, been rams GM since 2012
  • Minnesota Vikings | Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, age 42, GM in Minn since 2021
  • Miami Dolphins | Chris Grier, age 53, been GM in Miami since 2016.
  • New England Patriots | Elliott Wolf, age 42, in his first year as Pats GM
  • New Orleans Saints | Mickey Loomis, age 54, been NO GM since 2013
  • New York Giants | Joe Schoen, age 44, been Giants GM since 2022
  • New York Jets | Joe Douglas, age 47, been jets GM since 2019
  • Pittsburgh Steelers | Omar Khan, age 47, been Steelers GM since 2022
  • Philadelphia Eagles | Howie Roseman, age 48, been Philly GM since 2019
  • San Francisco 49ers | John Lynch, age 52, been GM in SF since 2017
  • Seattle Seahawks | John Schneider, age 52, been GM in Seattle since 2010
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Jason Licht, age 53, been GM in Tampa since 2014
  • Tennessee Titans | Ran Carthon, age 43, in his first year as GM at Tenn
  • Washington Commanders | Adam Peters, age 44, in his first year as GM in Wash
NFL GMs who are also owners:
  • Jerry Jones, age 81, (will be 82 in Oct) been GM of the Cowboys 35 years.
  • Stephen Jones is 59 (will be 60 in June) So SJ would be the second oldest GM in the league if he takes over, lol.
Average age of an NFL GM (without Jerry in count): 46.5
Oldest GM in league besides Jerry: Trent Baalke, Jacksonville GM, age 60.
Average length of tenure of NFL GMs other than Jerry: 8 years

Tom Landry was fired at 64 because the game had passed him. Tex Schramm was replaced by Jerry as GM in 1989 when Schramm was 68.
I know a lot fans think Stephen is really pulling most of the GM strings these days but he will be 60 in June.

Aren‘t both of these guys too old?
Aw lets give jones boys another 20 years, if they cant do it by then we can give up on them.
give jerry till age 100 ! that gives him 19 more years.
Anyone becoming a fan this century , only know jerry as GM , lol they only know his face ! Sad but true, and jerry loves it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It pretty much boils down to winning a super bowl is what we fans care about.

Jerry on the other hand has other desires he wants to be a celebrity he wants to be in the media he wants to get all the credit for anything good that happened.

He above all wants to be profitable and somewhere down the priority list he would like to win.
In his mind at this point he has the world by the behind he is keeping the team relevant with 12 win seasons the team is the most profitable and he has the celebrity status he desires he also doesn't compromise the team's relevancy for winning a super bowl one year and then going in the tank.

What I really don't understand is with all the money he has he could still stay on as GM in name but assemble a staff that could scour the planet for talent.

It's really hard for me to believe that the college draft is the only place you can find guys to play in the trenches he should be scouring the world looking for rugby players anybody that could give us an edge like the eagles did.
To me it's not so much his age but just he's not doing nearly what he could do with the resources that he has

Motorola

Reaction score
Below is a list of the 31 General Managers in the NFL who are also NOT NFL owners. Also included in the list is their age and how many years they have been in that current job as GM.
  • Arizona Cardinals | Monti Ossenfort, age 46, been GM in Ari 1 year. (Previously GM at Tenn 4 years)
  • Atlanta Falcons | Terry Fontenot, age 43, been GM in Atl since 2021.
  • Baltimore Ravens | Eric DeCosta, age 52, been GM in Balt since 2019.
  • Buffalo Bills | Brandon Beane, age 47, been GM in Buff since 2017.
  • Carolina Panthers | Dan Morgan, age 45, in his first year.
  • Chicago Bears | Ryan Poles, age 38, been GM in Chicago since 2022.
  • Cincinnati Bengals | Duke Tobin, age 52, (technically he’s the “Director of Player Personnel” but serves as de facto GM for owner Mike Brown) He’s in his 24th year as bengals executive
  • Cleveland Browns | Andrew Berry, age 36, been GM in Cleveland since 2020
  • Denver Broncos | George Paton, age 53, been GM in Denver since 2021
  • Detroit Lions | Brad Holmes, age 44, been GM in Detroit since 2021
  • Green Bay Packers | Brian Gutekunst, age 50, been GM in GB since 2018
  • Houston Texans | Nick Caserio, age 48, been GM in Houston since 2021
  • Indianapolis Colts | Chris Ballard, age 54, been GM in Indy since 2017
  • Jacksonville Jaguars | Trent Baalke, age 60, been GM in Jax since 2021.
  • Kansas City Chiefs | Brett Veach, age 46, been GM in Kansas City since 2017.
  • Las Vegas Raiders | Tom Telesco, age 51, in his first year as GM in Vegas (was chargers GM from 2013-23)
  • Los Angeles Chargers | Joe Hortiz, age 48, in hist first year as GM of chargers.
  • Los Angeles Rams | Les Snead, age 53, been rams GM since 2012
  • Minnesota Vikings | Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, age 42, GM in Minn since 2021
  • Miami Dolphins | Chris Grier, age 53, been GM in Miami since 2016.
  • New England Patriots | Elliott Wolf, age 42, in his first year as Pats GM
  • New Orleans Saints | Mickey Loomis, age 54, been NO GM since 2013
  • New York Giants | Joe Schoen, age 44, been Giants GM since 2022
  • New York Jets | Joe Douglas, age 47, been jets GM since 2019
  • Pittsburgh Steelers | Omar Khan, age 47, been Steelers GM since 2022
  • Philadelphia Eagles | Howie Roseman, age 48, been Philly GM since 2019
  • San Francisco 49ers | John Lynch, age 52, been GM in SF since 2017
  • Seattle Seahawks | John Schneider, age 52, been GM in Seattle since 2010
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Jason Licht, age 53, been GM in Tampa since 2014
  • Tennessee Titans | Ran Carthon, age 43, in his first year as GM at Tenn
  • Washington Commanders | Adam Peters, age 44, in his first year as GM in Wash
NFL GMs who are also owners:
  • Jerry Jones, age 81, (will be 82 in Oct) been GM of the Cowboys 35 years.
  • Stephen Jones is 59 (will be 60 in June) So SJ would be the second oldest GM in the league if he takes over, lol.
Average age of an NFL GM (without Jerry in count): 46.5
Oldest GM in league besides Jerry: Trent Baalke, Jacksonville GM, age 60.
Average length of tenure of NFL GMs other than Jerry: 8 years

Tom Landry was fired at 64 because the game had passed him. Tex Schramm was replaced by Jerry as GM in 1989 when Schramm was 68.
I know a lot fans think Stephen is really pulling most of the GM strings these days but he will be 60 in June.

Aren‘t both of these guys too old?
'Bobhaze' - kudos to you for researching, compiling, and presenting this information.

However...you glossed over the obvious distinction.

31 of the 32 NFL owners do not own the teams they work for.

Jerry (the father) could be 50, and Stephen (the son) could be 24...but that doesn't matter.

It's as simple as that.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
'Bobhaze' - kudos to you for researching, compiling, and presenting this information.

However...you glossed over the obvious distinction.

31 of the 32 NFL owners do not own the teams they work for.

Jerry (the father) could be 50, and Stephen (the son) could be 24...but that doesn't matter.

It's as simple as that.
CORRECTION
31 of the current 32 NFL GENERAL MANAGERS do not own the teams they work for.
The age factor is inconsequential to this matter.
1996 --- Jerry was 54, Stephen was 32.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Current GMs who have won SBs:
  • Brett Veach- 3 since 2019
  • Jerry Jones- 3 between 1992-95
  • Les Snead- 1 in 2021
  • Jason Licht- 1 as GM in 2020 (won 1 as Director of Player Personnel in New England)
  • Howie Roseman-1 in 2017 as Executive VP of Player Personnel in Philly in 2017
The other thing to remember is there have been over a dozen GMs who have won SBs who are no longer employed because they retired or were fired for not continuing to get results.
This is the part that people miss. You don't get FOREVER to produce. You win great....that buys you time. You don't win....organizations MOVE on!!!!!!

And I contend Jerry and Stephen have NEVER won. Since Jimmy Johnson influence has left the building....they have 4 (or 5...I forget) playoff wins. That is the stat we should be focused on. They average 1 playoff win every 7 or 8 years. If people put this stat in bright lights....it would really highlight unprecedented the situation in Dallas is.

When Jerry got into it with Jimmy...he said 500 coaches could coach Dallas He MEANT that. Because Jerry thought the biggest factor in Dallas winning was himself. So people can give Jerry credit for winning 3 Super Bowls. But I don't!!!!!!!! The past 30 years have PROVEN who really was responsible for those Super Bowl wins.