Comparing Anthony Brown and Jalen Ramsey

Carson

Reaction score
I love Brown. But Ramsey had shut down some of the top tier receiver.

But I'll take our entire draft over Ramsey and Jack.

Carson

Reaction score
How the hell does a 5'11" corner with 4.35 speed last until the 6th?? Even if your taking a flyer in the 4th or 5th!!

His knock was man coverage in college. Allowed 17 touchdowns on 162 attempts. Was very handsy on the top of routes which he had about 6-7 pass interferences.

Dude is a straight baller though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect big things from Brown next year. With a full year in the pros under his belt and a improved pass rush he could be a very good player for the Cowboys. So glad he slid to us in the draft. This draft class is really something.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I love Brown. But Ramsey had shut down some of the top tier receiver.

But I'll take our entire draft over Ramsey and Jack.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

I am not trying to say Brown > Ramsey.
Just like almost everyone, I am trying to figure out what the scouts got right and got wrong.
Obviously Brown would have gone earlier in the draft with hindsight.

To evaluate Brown, I will use Ramsey as the 'standard' for what a CB should be, fair or not.
Brown is known for his tackling and run support.
So let's assume against the run, Brown=Ramsey.

So coverage is where it is at.
Lets break down talent to these categories, though please add categories that I may miss.
Are my grades fair?

Categories------Speed-----Make up speed-----Agility-------Jumping/Explosion------Instinct----------Technique
Ramsey----------Very good-------Excellent-----Excellent---------Excellent----------------Very good------------------Very good
Brown-------------Excellent--------Very good----Very good-------Average--------------Very good/excellent---------Good

I am basing make up speed on straight line speed and explosiveness.
Brown beats Ramsey on straight line speed but Ramsey is much more explosive.

For agility, Ramsey's cone is better, Brown's shuttle is better, but Ramsey is much more explosive, so I am giving the nod to Ramsey.

For jumping, Ramsey is better by far.

For instinct, Brown seems to be able to turn his head and still stick to his receiver and may in fact be better than Ramsey here. I remember many commenting this and how many CBs never learn to turn their head.
Is this right?

Technique, of all the categories, this can be learned. Brown was dinged in the scouting reports for poor technique. However, he is starting and seemingly playing well, so I assume he has improved. To be conservative, I am giving the nod to Ramsey.

Conclusions:

1. Brown may have slightly better instinct for sticking with the receiver - is this fair?
If so, that makes up for a lot of physical talent and average size.
2. Brown has very good physical talent. Seemingly top tier other than explosion.
3. Ramsey seemingly has no weakness, so probably why he was drafted high.
I would be curious about what others think in terms of pure coverage skills and instincts.
4. Ramsey should be really good contesting catches with huge size and jumping ability - do we see that in the games?
5. Given what we have seen from Brown, what happened in college with the 17 TDs? Purdue's pass rush could not possibly have been 'worse' than our pass rush?
6. Are my ratings fair? Has anyone watched Ramsey's games? I only seen clips.
7. If you take away the difference in size, jumping and explosion, the 2 players are not far from each other. Obviously those are important. Where would you draft these 2 players in a redraft? I would take Brown probably in late 2nd early 3rd. Not sure about Ramsey. Probably not as high but may be 10-15?

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
More evidence that you can find a quality corner deep into the draft. See it every year, but that does not stop someone from suggesting a first round CB.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
More evidence that you can find a quality corner deep into the draft. See it every year, but that does not stop someone from suggesting a first round CB.

Lool, are you suggesting you can find quality CBs late in the draft with anywhere near the same regularity as you can RBs?

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I'm glad we didn't take Ramsey, last I checked he wasn't playing that well. Earlier this year he was giving up a passer rating of 109 and completion percentage of 60 something. Hopefully he can turn it around but I just wasn't big on him being our 4th pick.

Why do we care that he turns it around?

bsbellomy

Reaction score

We drafted Byron in R1 and it's worked out good so far.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How the hell does a 5'11" corner with 4.35 speed last until the 6th?? Even if your taking a flyer in the 4th or 5th!!
IIRC, Purdue's defense was one of the worst in college football at defending the pass. I guess that might have scared away some teams.

Scandrick 5-10, 4.32 was a 5th round pick.

There are some great athletes every year that don't even get drafted.
Some past Cowboys practice squad guys:
Lionel Smith 6', 4.4
Teddy Williams 9.9 100 meters (That's faster than Bob Hayes ran in the Olympics)

Some get drafted but can't play:
AOA 4th round, 6', 207, 4.33

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lets have some fun with this Brown vs. Ramsey comparison...

Ramsey is bigger taller, but Brown is stronger
Ramsey is more explosive, but Brown is faster.
Agility is split, with Ramsey winning cone while Brown winning shuttle

Ramsey is rated as top 5 pick.
Great size, movement skills and change of direction.
Physical but could need more strength
Needs some work sticking with receivers
Could be hybrid LB and perhaps better as S than CB

Brown is rated as having physical talent but needs to work on technique
Pros include quick feet, strong, looks over shoulder comfortably, recovery ability and sticky coverage
Brown gave up 17 TDs at Purdue, so results did not match talent
Seen as potential starter in the late 3rd/4th round.
Definite CB but may be better in zone.

---------------Ramsey----------------Brown
Height-------6-1------------------------5-11
Weight------209-----------------------192
Arm----------33.38--------------------31.75
40 Time----4.41----------------------4.35
3 cone-------6.94---------------------7.03
20 yd sh----4.18----------------------4.09
broad jmp--135-----------------------115
vert jmp-----41.5-----------------------35
Reps---------14 ------------------------19
School------Fla St--------------------Purdue

Anybody want to guess the name of the player with these measurable(s) ?
Height: 6002
Weight: 207
40 Yrd Dash: 4.33
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.48
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.19
3-Cone Drill: 6.84