Comparing Anthony Brown and Jalen Ramsey

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Player Snaps*Tackles PD FF
Ramsey 664, 44, 1, 0
Brown 380, 38, 3, 1

*Defensive snaps only, they both have roughly 100 ST snaps.
This was posted on another thread:

These are the stats that matter not the meaningless measurable sin the OP. They've played 10 games. If Brown is anywhere close to Ramsey in level of play, it's a homerun. I mean if it's even reasonable to think about comparing their play thus far, we dodged a huge bullet.

waldoputty

Reaction score
These are the stats that matter not the meaningless measurable sin the OP. They've played 10 games. If Brown is anywhere close to Ramsey in level of play, it's a homerun. I mean if it's even reasonable to think about comparing their play thus far, we dodged a huge bullet.

I suspect Ramsey gets the #1 WR all the time, while I only recall Brown only getting Pittsburgh #1 WR.
So the grades may not be fair unless adjusted for WRs they face.

I am ASSUMING that the grades are not fair, and going to basic physical stats.

Like you said, if there is even a comparison, we got a steal in the 6th.
That is definitely the case.
We have drafted other CBs in the 4th-6th and it did not work out so well...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
IIRC, Purdue's defense was one of the worst in college football at defending the pass. I guess that might have scared away some teams.

Scandrick 5-10, 4.32 was a 5th round pick.

There are some great athletes every year that don't even get drafted.
Some past Cowboys practice squad guys:
Lionel Smith 6', 4.4
Teddy Williams 9.9 100 meters (That's faster than Bob Hayes ran in the Olympics)

Some get drafted but can't play:
AOA 4th round, 6', 207, 4.33

You are probably dead on about Purdue. That is why drafting is tough, can't just go off the tape. The player could have had a lousy supporting cast, poor defensive design, etc.

waldoputty

Reaction score
IIRC, Purdue's defense was one of the worst in college football at defending the pass. I guess that might have scared away some teams.

Lionel Smith 6', 4.4
Teddy Williams 9.9 100 meters (That's faster than Bob Hayes ran in the Olympics)

LOL, i remember being excited about AOA.
Of these athletes, do you remember how many of them went to big school programs?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Richard Sherman.
Cam Chanceller - I know hes's a safety. But you can find them too

The question I asked was: can quality CBs be found later in the draft with the same regularity that RBs are?

Every position you can point to and say "here's an example of a late round gem," but I'm talking positionally, on a regular basis (i.e. annually) no other position has proven you can get quality, highly productive players later in the draft than at RB.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
CB does seem like a spot that you should seriously consider taking a flyer on a 5-11+ 200 range player that can run -- in those later parts of the draft.

Seahawks built their secondary doing that.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
More evidence that you can find a quality corner deep into the draft. See it every year, but that does not stop someone from suggesting a first round CB.

Goes both ways though. You can always find late round RB's...teams do year in and year out. David Johnson a couple years ago.

Aven8

Reaction score

Lionel Smith 6', 4.4

AOA....good grief that is a name I never want to hear again!!

Carson

Reaction score
Jalen Ramsey wasn't a playmaker in college and is not a physical corner either.

He would of been a wastep pick for us at #4.

I agree with you 100%.

With that said,

He hasn't made many plays on defense. But he has respectively shut down some of the teams top receivers.

Hopkins, Cooper, Nelson, Smith.

It's like when Terence Newman went almost two seasons without allowing a touchdown. People just look at box score.