CFZ Comparing Brandin Cooks to OBJ

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Hilton was better than Noah Brown but our passing game still sucked when it mattered most. He made very little difference. What we needed was a big target outside.
Agree. We have a bunch of outside guys and deep threats. The covers 6,7 out of nine passing zones. But need bigger middle of the field physical receivers that can catch in traffic. TEs may help but they are not quick enough. Preferably some one with good hands even if not necessarily fast.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The acquisition for WR Brandin Cooks is another good off-season move for the Cowboys. We got him for essentially 5th and 6th round picks, and Hou has apparently agreed to pay a chunk of Cooks’ salary next year. Cooks is a consistently solid receiver who came into the league the same time as Beckham. (I wanted to compare him with OBJ because of all the talk about getting Beckham this off-season)

STAT COMPARISON
Brandin Cooks

AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

Odell Beckham, Jr.
AgeReceptionsYardsTDsYds per Rec.Yds per game

Some quick comparisons outside of stats-
  • Cooks is a little younger than Beckham by less than a year. (He was younger entering the draft)
  • Cooks is about an inch shorter
  • Beckham was faster coming into the league.
  • Cooks is considered a dependable route runner with great hands.
  • Cooks has been more durable than Beckham.
This is a very good acquisition!
You forgot

* ODB is a relentless self promoter who has trashed his QB and his franchise repeatedly

blueblood70

Reaction score
Show you?

Odell is a 3-time pro-bowler (two-time 2nd team all-pro) with double-digit TD's and averaged 1,375 yards his first three seasons. Sorry, but that's several rungs above Cook's best. I agree though that Cooks is the better investment now, that was kind of my point.
its not sorry cooks career is on the same level.. sorry. cooks a is by far the better choice today OBJ has done nothing but sit in recovery 3 of the last 4 years,,. again, whats your point we got the better player at the better price, TODAY. sorry we dint bring in the one legged circus who wants to be paid like hes 25 again and be the next reality TV twitter king here in Dallas..

but hey lift your leg on the move because you dont like the FO act lie we got the lessor player. we did not, thats fact. compare their last 4 years only cooks is healthier and less of a distraction. same skill set.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You forgot

* ODB is a relentless self promoter who has trashed his QB and his franchise repeatedly
One man circus with ego that wont fit in TX...surprised hes not linked to the Kardashians, most likely too short , LOLL.

DanA

Reaction score
its not sorry cooks career is on the same level.. sorry. cooks a is by far the better choice today OBJ has done nothing but sit in recovery 3 of the last 4 years,,. again, whats your point we got the better player at the better price, TODAY. sorry we dint bring in the one legged circus who wants to be paid like hes 25 again and be the next reality TV twitter king here in Dallas..

but hey lift your leg on the move because you dont like the FO act lie we got the lessor player. we did not, thats fact. compare their last 4 years only cooks is healthier and less of a distraction. same skill set.
You’ve got comprehensions issues. I’m 100% positive on this deal.

I just recognize that Odell’s best was a higher level. No if buts or “sorry” about it. You can say Cook’s career was the same level and for total yards sure, but Cook doesn’t have OBJ’s accolades.

Yes he’s a headcase, yes he’s a shell of his former self and yes I’d rather Cooks but you’re shouting at clouds dude cos nobody is arguing Odell is better now, it was more an observation of the past and intended to imply he’s living off it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Main thing Cook does not have OBJ same injury history, 2 ACL in the last 2 years and on top of that wanted big money? Sorry I wanted OBJ but also was nervous about him being damaged goods.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You’ve got comprehensions issues. I’m 100% positive on this deal.

I just recognize that Odell’s best was a higher level. No if buts or “sorry” about it. You can say Cook’s career was the same level and for total yards sure, but Cook doesn’t have OBJ’s accolades.

Yes he’s a headcase, yes he’s a shell of his former self and yes I’d rather Cooks but you’re shouting at clouds dude cos nobody is arguing Odell is better now, it was more an observation of the past and intended to imply he’s living off it.
OVERBLOWN accolades

sorry i said that his sm status his reality tv like persona has elevated his actual talent level ie steamrolled started at 5ft tall now hes 6'5 with 8 Superbowl rings,

sorry thats a fact, the numbers across the board are equal... you cant make him better because of his popularity(hype machine) and constant NEED to be in the face of the media .. hes a me guy hes been a popular figure, so his actual history has been exaggerated whereas a player lie Cooks much more quiet and unassuming has been underrated.. that ,meets in the middle. sorry dude can't help to make sure you are aware you cant Change the history because of popularity polls.

that catch in NY aginst us in a OOSS righht he pushed off made great catch but in aloss , somehow that elevated his rep but its nothing more then an overture to his career great catches in meaningless games for te most part,, if this pace want to sue the paddings stats for our QBS , talk about a hollow career when you measure popularity vs his actually relative accomplishments,

He cooks amari all fall ito the same category . Dhop is better clearly bveter that argumant il accept cklose rot elie.

now back to actual news..Jerry had to concede once again and didnt get his popular ticket selling circus pick, its obvious SJ , wm, and mm had say this choice because jerrys like you had stars in his eyes that blinded him to reality., OBJ once was a very good payer great at times but historically hasnt done much in his career but out up numbers much like cooks, cooper, and OBJ..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our passing games was ...
horrible when it didn't matter against DC
great when it mattered against TB
horrible when it mattered against SF

I don't think that variation came from the WRs.
I guess we will find out but , apparently, the cowboys front office disagrees with you.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Prefer cooks over OBJ for the sheer fact if it is a failure Dallas losses a 5th this year and 6th next year and no cap penalty.

js66

Reaction score
Never been a Cooks fan, but looking at his recent production he looks like a solid add. Whenever I've seen his name it was linked to a 1st or 2nd round compensation so getting him for the late picks is completely different.

One thing of note... "First player in NFL history with 1,000 receiving yards in three consecutive seasons with three different teams". This is substantial. He seems like you can plug and play him on any team and get 700-1100 yards.

I was intrigued with DHop and OBJ but I see why the front office went this way....

1) The ability to move on from him next year easily if you want
2) The low cost of acquisition
3) From what I can read on him he is a good guy, low maintenance and a good locker room guy
4) Reliability, he's played more than 12 games every season but his first
5) Is a productive receiver with top end speed. Not just top end speed and 35 catches a year like many players
6) Has shown the ability to be productive in many systems with different QB's
7) Has been a proven 1 or 2 in previous stops. He's not a 3 or 4 WR we are asking to step up
8) His is a safer bet to contribute 500-700 yards than OBJ with the injury concerns

khiladi

Reaction score
We had 2 1000 yard WRs and one close to 1000 yard WR in Cobb in 2019, and as usual with Dak it ended up being nothing but empty stats against garbage competition.

The question as usual will come down to the QBs ability to find them, as he’s a joke of a progression QB. It doesn’t matter if you have 3 all world WRs and Dak. He’s still going to key in on his early read.

It’s just a matter of whether the personnel on defense can match up with 3 all world WRs when Dak, or pretty much any average QB in the NFL with an arm and time is concerned.

The personnel doesn’t help Dak’s “football intelligence”…

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
It probably makes your draft less about need. Every time you pick up a free agent solution to a need it should allow you to focus more on best available talent.
I forgot to add to this...FA have a couple of things that draftees don't have.

1. NFL coaching network. You can vette out FA with fellow team mates, past and current coaches and executive groups. That is intelligence gathering that is much more relateable to the league.

2. NFL game tape through three seasons of the league year. Pre-season, regular season and post-season. You get a better understanding of how they play in these seasons and also an understanding how they perform against certain NFL schemes, NFL skillsets and with this information you can set your toolkit.

From this point of view you can then approach you draft from not only a talent perspective, but also a tool kit and scheme perspective, and not overlap tools and skills in areas where you are already well covered with veterans.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
CD is a great slot WR....... kinda like Cooks. What we needed to do was trade for one a legit #1 who can threaten a defense downfield. I've been screaming for DJ Moore since that team fired its coach and imploded last year. DJ was available for trade and was basically a throw-in in the trade with Chicago.
Cooks has primarily been an outside receiver his whole career.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooks has primarily been an outside receiver his whole career.
Dude is 5'10. He does his damage over the middle on short crossing routes just like a slot wr. He does not give us the big, fast target on the outside that we desperately need nor does he stretch the field. We are his 5th different team in 9 seasons. He is not the answer. We should have just kept Hilton and saved the money.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dude is 5'10. He does his damage over the middle on short crossing routes just like a slot wr. He does not give us the big, fast target on the outside that we desperately need nor does he stretch the field. We are his 5th different team in 9 seasons. He is not the answer. We should have just kept Hilton and saved the money.
This is laughable, he's an outside speed receiver. Tyreek Hill another short fast receiver is the only one with more big plays since 2014.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is laughable, he's an outside speed receiver. Tyreek Hill another short fast receiver is the only one with more big plays since 2014.

Have you seen him play? Apparently not. The only laughable opinion here is your comparison to Tyreek Hill.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been in the slot less than 40% of the time, so wth have you been watching?

He is most effective in the slot. The past 2 years, he hasn't been effective anywhere. He is/was very quick and elusive when he has the ball, but he is no tyreek Hill. He is certainly not someone Dak is going to find down field.