Twitter: Comparing Cowboys off-season talent losses vs additions

phildadon86

Reaction score
You laugh. Remember counting on an injured Gallup. It worked so well they tried to trade for a WR at the deadline.

How about counting on Pollard. Who himself said he didnt feel like himself until the end of the season.

You live on fantasy island where its all sunshine and rainbows. Come join the rest of us in reality.

rambo2

Reaction score
You laugh. Remember counting on an injured Gallup. It worked so well they tried to trade for a WR at the deadline.

How about counting on Pollard. Who himself said he didnt feel like himself until the end of the season.

You live on fantasy island where its all sunshine and rainbows. Come join the rest of us in reality.
Lol, they are still good. Looking forward to the season and seeing how our new players and coaches work out. The draft is an exciting time. Keep on complaining, just like you did with the kicking situation last year.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lol, they are still good. Looking forward to the season and seeing how our new players and coaches work out. The draft is an exciting time. Keep on complaining, just like you did with the kicking situation last year.
Yup. I did. And i owned that Aubrey proved me wrong.

You cant take an objective look at anything because your blue and silver glasses are so thick you believe they are better or the same as last season even with losing 8 starters.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yup. I did. And i owned that Aubrey proved me wrong.

You cant take an objective look at anything because your blue and silver glasses are so thick you believe they are better or the same as last season even with losing 8 starters.
Lol, keep on complaining. They are a double digit win team on paper and are about to add some good exciting talent and will get some good play out of their young players coming back. Carry on. Can tell us the 8 starters and why you think each one is a big loss?

morat1959

Reaction score
I hate to give the Jones credit for anything but hiring Jimmy but maybe…just maybe, this is the year! Please go all in on Drake Maye or take a flier on Bo Mix at the end of the first or early 2nd round. Williams is a pipe dream but I’d like to have him under center.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lol, keep on complaining. They are a double digit win team on paper and are about to add some good exciting talent and will get some good play out of their young players coming back. Carry on. Can tell us the 8 starters and why you think each one is a big loss?
Currently this team has no starting RB. Lets just start there. Also no starting C or LT. Tell me again how great the Jones' are at team building lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Blue you’re right, it’s still too early to judge this off-season. There are still months to go. But if the Cowboys were in school, their early progress report card would be an F.

They can still raise their “final grade” with a great draft and some cheap, long shot FAs added. But the odds of all that turning this off-season into even a B- are very low,
and last I checked ,every time this fan base says we had historically bad off season and then off of that judgment they say we're going to have a bad season and somehow we win the divison at 12-5..thats hardly a bad season. That year when that term was used we went to the second round of the playoffs I believe he lost by 6 points to the 49ers...

, I hate to break it to you even without a deep playoff run, becoming the second seed having a home game as your first playoff game and going to three straight playoff games is hardly a barometer by using how the offseason as the measuring stick..

seemingly a fans opinion of how the season is going to go basing it on the offseason, you all don't really have a good idea of really how the seasons going to go ie game to game week to week and how the totality of the season is going to end up just by what you think they didn't do correctly in the first two weeks of free agent period..

its marathon not sprint..

And again, I keep asking this why don't somebody show me what Kansas city's last three offseason were as far as big name free agents making a big splash or a big trade for a big name player???

because I don't watch everything that they do but last I checked they have taking a lot of talent off the team and they draft well ,make a few small trades ,pick up a few free agents the way we do and I realize they have a better quarterback slightly and a slightly better head coach but somehow they won the Super bowl the last two years and have been to the last what I don't know four AFC championship games..

they are not doing with only the three teams this place watches the Rams did it once, Philadelphia seems to be always aggressive and lost to us 2 of the last 3 years for the divsion, and then the 49ers thats 3 of 32 teams..

the Kansas City Chiefs do less in the offseason than most teams so if you don't take into account what they do within their own organization to keeping their own players tell me how they've done more than the Cowboys the last three offseason in free agency before the draft show me all these big splash moves ,that the Kansas City Chiefs B2B Super bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs..

You know what the most ironic thing is in our division not only that we won the division two of the last three years apparently not doing enough in the fans eyes it's a fact that the giants and Washington have done more the last three seasons as far as money spent on free agents they've traded a lot of players and they seem to keep finishing last....big sarcastic shrug!

Robster8989

Reaction score
Overall I completely agree with you Bob.
And I've been a vocal critic of of our culture of non accountability, primarily in the front office.
I still believe that is what will keep us a long ways from another SB title.
I've also been a critic of our off season.
I felt there was a path to keep this team, and add some missing pieces, that would have put in in a strong position.

I did, however, just run a mock draft.
In the first I am leaning heavily to OL. I was hoping to trade back here, and pick up another Day 2 pick, as I feel there is so much OL depth in this draft that we could get a starter in Rd 2 and pick up that additional pick.
No trades presented themselves, so I grabbed JPJ at 24. Great prospect at a huge positional need. I hope he's there.
I traded back at 56 to 64 and picked up 95, at 64 I grabbed X Legette, WR, and then in the 3rd, at 87 and 95 I nabbed Braelon Allen and McKinley Jackson. I moved my 5th and a 2025 5th to jump into Rd 4 and got Tommie Eichenberg.
I was very happy with that haul. JPJ, Legette, Allen, Jackson, Eichenberg.

On Offense:
We lost Tyron and Tyler B. I think JPJ can be Tyler B level in his first year, though with a higher ceiling. To me he looks to follow in the footsteps of a few recent draft picks I really liked, Creed Humphrey and Tyler Linderbaum. If he does, we got a great player and probably improved on Tyler B (and I was always a Tyler B fan BTW).
I hated to see Tyron go. One of my fav Cowboys ever, but seriously, we've been needed to move on from him for years now. I see Tyler Smith sliding over to LT. Probably not quite as good as Tyron in pass protection, but much better at run blocking. Then I am high on TJ Bass, and see him sliding in at LG. Again, we lose in pass protection but that left side could be special in the run game.
Essentially Tyler B and Tyron out, JPJ and Bass in. Upgrade in the run game, which I think is really important. We need to be able to run the ball at critical times.
On the right side let's hope Zach and Steele return to 2022 form, and that last years setbacks were temporary (Zach's holdout and Steele's injury recovery). Potentially, we could have a big improvement in the run game, and that will help the pass game too.

At WR, we replace Gallup with Legette. I am really high on Legette. He reminds me of Deebo, and could become that type of weapon. He's big and strong, and we lack that at WR. A lot of West coast offenses have that big WR, the guy who can catch that 4 years quick slant on 3rd and 4 at a critical point in the game. I see Legette giving us that, and I see the him as a huge potential upgrade to Gallup for us.

At RB, I liked Pollard. I just think we used him wrong at times. Allen could be special. He's huge, and powerful, and fast. Not saying he's a better player than Pollard, who is very good, but for our needs, he MAY be the better fit. So again, just based on fit, this could turn into an upgrade.

Overall on Offense, I could see the offense being better, just because we can run the ball better.
We may get less yards and points, but we will have better balance, and that is a huge win for Dak (not asking so much from him), and for the Defense, as the O will be chewing up more clock. I think we may see some growing pains early, but by mid season, we could really be a better and more balanced Offense than last years. And running the ball will be a huge help to the defense too.

On D I added Jackson and Eichenberg in the draft.
I potentially like our LB and S rooms.
I see Kendricks, Clark, Overshown and Eichenberg, then Wilson, Hooker, Thomas and Mukuamu, with Bell being sort of a 5th LB and 5th S. I like that depth.
At CB, we have Bland, Diggs and Lewis starting, very solid, then Wright, Scott, Goodwyn and handful of late round picks, UFA's etc.
Great starters, questionable depth. I wouldn't mind using a Day 3 pick or even signing a value FA here as a reserve.

DL is the issue now IMO. We really need one more player at both Edge and DT, even with the Jackson addition.
I like Mazi and Jackson at 1, then Osa needs a partner at 3. We need more depth. Gholston is just a depth guy, unless he can really step up this year.
At edge, we have Micah and Tank, with Williams and Fehoko. We need another rotational player IMO. A Fowler type, maybe a proven vet at a good price who gets cut after the draft.
We have the ability to free up significant space (by restructuring a few contracts), without touching Dak or Tank (giving us more space and freedom next off season)
My thinking is there is always a round of releases after the draft.
If we could get rotational pieces at DT and Edge, and possibll at CB, I feel our D would be solid (and quite deep).
And I can't stree enough how much a great running game can help the D.

So, while I'm very disappointed in the off season so far, and the front office in general, a great draft, plus some key value FA signings, could still make this team pretty competitive, possibly a better team than last years team, and with the financial ship in order for the future.

I'm hopeful.

rambo2

Reaction score
Overall I completely agree with you Bob.
And I've been a vocal critic of of our culture of non accountability, primarily in the front office.
I still believe that is what will keep us a long ways from another SB title.
I've also been a critic of our off season.
I felt there was a path to keep this team, and add some missing pieces, that would have put in in a strong position.

I did, however, just run a mock draft.
In the first I am leaning heavily to OL. I was hoping to trade back here, and pick up another Day 2 pick, as I feel there is so much OL depth in this draft that we could get a starter in Rd 2 and pick up that additional pick.
No trades presented themselves, so I grabbed JPJ at 24. Great prospect at a huge positional need. I hope he's there.
I traded back at 56 to 64 and picked up 95, at 64 I grabbed X Legette, WR, and then in the 3rd, at 87 and 95 I nabbed Braelon Allen and McKinley Jackson. I moved my 5th and a 2025 5th to jump into Rd 4 and got Tommie Eichenberg.
I was very happy with that haul. JPJ, Legette, Allen, Jackson, Eichenberg.

On Offense:
We lost Tyron and Tyler B. I think JPJ can be Tyler B level in his first year, though with a higher ceiling. To me he looks to follow in the footsteps of a few recent draft picks I really liked, Creed Humphrey and Tyler Linderbaum. If he does, we got a great player and probably improved on Tyler B (and I was always a Tyler B fan BTW).
I hated to see Tyron go. One of my fav Cowboys ever, but seriously, we've been needed to move on from him for years now. I see Tyler Smith sliding over to LT. Probably not quite as good as Tyron in pass protection, but much better at run blocking. Then I am high on TJ Bass, and see him sliding in at LG. Again, we lose in pass protection but that left side could be special in the run game.
Essentially Tyler B and Tyron out, JPJ and Bass in. Upgrade in the run game, which I think is really important. We need to be able to run the ball at critical times.
On the right side let's hope Zach and Steele return to 2022 form, and that last years setbacks were temporary (Zach's holdout and Steele's injury recovery). Potentially, we could have a big improvement in the run game, and that will help the pass game too.

At WR, we replace Gallup with Legette. I am really high on Legette. He reminds me of Deebo, and could become that type of weapon. He's big and strong, and we lack that at WR. A lot of West coast offenses have that big WR, the guy who can catch that 4 years quick slant on 3rd and 4 at a critical point in the game. I see Legette giving us that, and I see the him as a huge potential upgrade to Gallup for us.

At RB, I liked Pollard. I just think we used him wrong at times. Allen could be special. He's huge, and powerful, and fast. Not saying he's a better player than Pollard, who is very good, but for our needs, he MAY be the better fit. So again, just based on fit, this could turn into an upgrade.

Overall on Offense, I could see the offense being better, just because we can run the ball better.
We may get less yards and points, but we will have better balance, and that is a huge win for Dak (not asking so much from him), and for the Defense, as the O will be chewing up more clock. I think we may see some growing pains early, but by mid season, we could really be a better and more balanced Offense than last years. And running the ball will be a huge help to the defense too.

On D I added Jackson and Eichenberg in the draft.
I potentially like our LB and S rooms.
I see Kendricks, Clark, Overshown and Eichenberg, then Wilson, Hooker, Thomas and Mukuamu, with Bell being sort of a 5th LB and 5th S. I like that depth.
At CB, we have Bland, Diggs and Lewis starting, very solid, then Wright, Scott, Goodwyn and handful of late round picks, UFA's etc.
Great starters, questionable depth. I wouldn't mind using a Day 3 pick or even signing a value FA here as a reserve.

DL is the issue now IMO. We really need one more player at both Edge and DT, even with the Jackson addition.
I like Mazi and Jackson at 1, then Osa needs a partner at 3. We need more depth. Gholston is just a depth guy, unless he can really step up this year.
At edge, we have Micah and Tank, with Williams and Fehoko. We need another rotational player IMO. A Fowler type, maybe a proven vet at a good price who gets cut after the draft.
We have the ability to free up significant space (by restructuring a few contracts), without touching Dak or Tank (giving us more space and freedom next off season)
My thinking is there is always a round of releases after the draft.
If we could get rotational pieces at DT and Edge, and possibll at CB, I feel our D would be solid (and quite deep).
And I can't stree enough how much a great running game can help the D.

So, while I'm very disappointed in the off season so far, and the front office in general, a great draft, plus some key value FA signings, could still make this team pretty competitive, possibly a better team than last years team, and with the financial ship in order for the future.

I'm hopeful.
Stay hopeful, they have a shot at winning the division and they can be flexible in the moves they make. They will get some good players in the draft and they will be able to sign whatever undrafted guys that they want. I'm interested to see what happens with Fehoko and Scott. They basically redshirted those 2 guys. Overshown and Stephens will be a fun players to watch.

MikeT22

Reaction score
He is like you. He probably was freaking out about the kicker last year just like a lot of people.
“He was probably” lol

That’s all you ever have, something you make up.