Twitter: Comparing Cowboys off-season talent losses vs additions

rambo2

Reaction score
I get it, but it is humorous because I see his post as negative. That's probably because it is, given the context of our situation. I'm having a difficult time expecting improvement based on what I've seen this far. It looks like status quo
They should be better at linebacker and running back. They should be better than what most people think. They still should be a good team.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The only ones that will really hurt is Tyron Smith & LVE and we addressed LVE loss.

Hankins, Armstrong, Fowler, Biadasz, & Gallimore, we should be able to replace and are just ok players.

Pollard was garbage last year. We could bring back Emmitt Smith and get better production. Same with Gallup.

It's not as bad as you think. They will still bring in some vets after the draft.
sounds good to me

rambo2

Reaction score
We got better at linebacker and worse literally everywhere else
They actually could get better and younger at left tackle with either top draft pick or Tyler Smith moving over. They could actually get better at center as well. I don't think they will be worse at center.

phildadon86

Reaction score
They actually could get better and younger at left tackle with either top draft pick or Tyler Smith moving over. They could actually get better at center as well. I don't think they will be worse at center.
Of course you see losing 8 starters as good. LOL

rambo2

Reaction score
The point is. They have to replace 8 players with 6 picks.
They redshirted 2 draft picks last year and they have Overshown and Stephens coming back. They also will add some undrafted players like they did last year and will get some veterans from somewhere.

CCBoy

Reaction score
An often repeated statement is the Cowboys draft really well and like to re-sign their own. Is that accurate? I looked at all of their draft picks from 2014-23 and very few of those who actually made the team received a second contract. The 2015 and 2018 classes do not have a single player remaining. There is one player left from each of the 2017 and 2019 classes. None of the first or second round picks from 2015-19 are with the team. Is this draft-and-develop reputation a myth? – William Goehring/Brevard, NC
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-is-draft-and-develop-rep-a-myth

Or is it an indicator of competitive as opposed to dominant group of coaches at the helm. Coach them up but don't take the field.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have seen historically Dallas is a very good drafting team but the kind of draft being described happens by one team every couple years. They are very rare because its hard to have multiple high impact rookies and a decent core underneath that. Baltimore did one in 2018 and NO in 2019 and the Jets 2 years ago and those are the only ones on that level that come to mind.
Enough with the SAUCE already jeez..................This fan base never stops making me laugh..........no wonder Jerry gets away with murder year in year out!
Our drafts have been mediocre/average at best.
How many # 2 have we burned?
Countless..................
Jeez STOP IT!!!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The only ones that will really hurt is Tyron Smith & LVE and we addressed LVE loss.

Hankins, Armstrong, Fowler, Biadasz, & Gallimore, we should be able to replace and are just ok players.

Pollard was garbage last year. We could bring back Emmitt Smith and get better production. Same with Gallup.

It's not as bad as you think. They will still bring in some vets after the draft.
You are correct, Jerry will sale it..

Adreme

Reaction score
Enough with the SAUCE already jeez..................This fan base never stops making me laugh..........no wonder Jerry gets away with murder year in year out!
Our drafts have been mediocre/average at best.
How many # 2 have we burned?
Countless..................
Jeez STOP IT!!!
Pick your metric. Longevity of players drafted:Cowboys are top 5, number of pro bowl players: Cowboys are top 3, number of all pro players: Cowboys are top 3. Basically any objective metric you would use to judge a draft the Cowboys are very good at it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick your metric. Longevity of players drafted:Cowboys are top 5, number of pro bowl players: Cowboys are top 3, number of all pro players: Cowboys are top 3. Basically any objective metric you would use to judge a draft the Cowboys are very good at it.
We are soooooo GOOD we haven't made it to an NFCCG in 29 Years.
Keep the stats and hold them tight who knows a little Vince Lombardi trophy might fall out.......................
Stats are for losers man haven't you figured that out yet?

Adreme

Reaction score
We are soooooo GOOD we haven't made it to an NFCCG in 29 Years.
Keep the stats and hold them tight who knows a little Vince Lombardi trophy might fall out.......................
Stats are for losers man haven't you figured that out yet?
This a child’s way of looking at things. You are assuming that because the team has not won everything must be bad. However reality does not work that way.

For example the Cowboys are probably the worst team at free agency in the NFL and overall below average at utilizing trades. This cancels out the good drafting and just keeps you as a team that is always close but not quite there.

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You should be happy. You don't like when the resign their own. You were complaining about the backup tackle they resigned. They have a good shot at getting 3 good players on their 1st 3 picks. The board looks good.

Well said. This front office is one of the least strategic and proactive in pro sports. In essence, this team has become a sports marketing machine, not an organization that is completely committed to winning a championship.
This is the best way I have seen this organization and thier plan described. Give yourself a pat on the back

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand the “draft and develop” philosophy. It has some merit. But going back to the Garrett era through 2023, that same philosophy has given us 3 wild card wins in 13 seasons. Why does that philosophy still enamor this front office when it continues to give us underwhelming post season results?

Yeah, I get the 36 regular season wins in three years thing. But those 36 regular season wins got us one wild card playoff win in three playoff seasons. That’s not a pattern worth “running back” in my mind.
Yep but our ownership appear to be All In on their “ draft & develop “ philosophy which delivers them a consistent playoff contender despite the lack of success in post season.

Unfortunately it all goes back to our initial priorities not our ultimate goals.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. And its a little tiresome that this has to be explained to cousin rambo2 Jones over and over and over.
It's like the whole ultimate goal of postseason success is ignored on purpose. OR he is in fact a Jones, which may be the case honestly.

The regular season banners and Forbes trophies are plenty good to satisfy.

Its just so pathetic that some are satisfied with it.
And it’s not just a matter of being satisfied with it as accepting or understanding it’s our reality.

I fully support calling out and criticizing but we must also come to terms it’s not changing and adjust our expectations accordingly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we are in agreement. Playoff success for the Cowboys has been non existent since the 90s. I was 23 years old the last time the Cowboys won the Super Bowl :facepalm: The more I think about it, the more I see Jerry as the Flim Flam Man or Con artist. The Cowboys have not made it past the divisional rounds in almost 30 years. Cowboys are still the best draw in the world. How is that possible?
It’s possible because he has the most Iconic brand in football and arguably all of sports to hype and promote which he’s done a masterful job of despite the lack of more success this era.

It’s typical American ingenuity much like other Iconic brands we consume or patronize that aren’t necessarily the best product but simply most popular.

Ultimately those who support and patronize the lesser but more popular product are to blame expecting the product or leadership to change. Fans this era certainly have a strange way of showing their dissatisfaction with the product and results delivered.

Obviously with record revenue and popularity our ownership must believe our fanbase is very pleased despite the frustrations and disappointments on the field.