Twitter: Comparing Cowboys off-season talent losses vs additions

CWR

Reaction score
They should be better at linebacker and running back. They should be better than what most people think. They still should be a good team.
LB I feel ok about with Kendricks and Overshown. There's potential there. Rb we have nothing. Why do u see that as an improvement? Maybe in the draft, but there's no telling who or when they pick at rb.

I think they'll be good, but not good enough. We needed to make upgrades to push past the early playoff exits.

Flamma

Reaction score

That is a huge loss of talent. In fact, it’s a loss of 8 starters. When you look at the loss of talent we’ve had this off-season vs the guys we either resigned or added in free agency, the draft sets up to be the highest stakes draft I have ever seen in Dallas.

Frankly, there‘s no way this team can be competitive in 2024 without either:
  1. Hitting a home run with the draft, gaining at least 2-3 starters with immediate positive impact.
  2. Have a really good draft coupled with some cheap but impactful free agents that contribute immediately.
If we’re being honest, is there a front office in the entire NFL that could pull that off? Certainly not in Dallas.

Here's my take. After that embarrassing loss to GB at home it really looked like the players weren't putting in the effort. Jerry is going scorched earth. Prove you're worth your contract. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but if I was the owner I'd be pretty mad too. I too would probably be hesitant to take out the pen and start writing 100 million+ contracts.

I'm certainly no Jones fan. I think his standard operating procedure in the offseason absolutely sucks. But if this is the effort you're going to get from your players in big games, what's his motivation to spend more? We saw two teams, the Packers and Lions almost knock off the 49ers at their place with an inferior roster. The Cowboys don't play with that level of intensity.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For a team claiming to "like their guys" (using that excuse to avoid being proactive) they haven't shown their love, lately! :omg:

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

That is a huge loss of talent. In fact, it’s a loss of 8 starters. When you look at the loss of talent we’ve had this off-season vs the guys we either resigned or added in free agency, the draft sets up to be the highest stakes draft I have ever seen in Dallas.

1. Hitting a home run with the draft, gaining at least 2-3 starters with immediate positive impact.
  2. Have a really good draft coupled with some cheap but impactful free agents that contribute immediately.
If we’re being honest, is there a front office in the entire NFL that could pull that off? Certainly not in Dallas.

Well...I have done enough simulators....that I actually can pull it off....Question is....is there a front office that has the balls to try and simulate that for real? Something tells me..
.just because the amount of trades this year...this is the new norm....better get on board...

rambo2

Reaction score
LB I feel ok about with Kendricks and Overshown. There's potential there. Rb we have nothing. Why do u see that as an improvement? Maybe in the draft, but there's no telling who or when they pick at rb.

I think they'll be good, but not good enough. We needed to make upgrades to push past the early playoff exits.
Running back is going to be a draft pick like Benson or Brooks. See 30 visits.

Reactions: CWR

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I suspect C. Biadasz will be hard to replace talent wise this year. Not that Biadasz was all that great, but because we have so many major positions to replace with this draft. Between OT, DT, LB's and RB, I highly doubt that C will find it's way into our top 3 or 4 picks. We'll probably just fill the C position with a Jag this year.
As late as our pick is this year, we'll be lucky just to find a couple of good quality picks this year, and C won't be one of them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The John Fassel interview yesterday was very telling. He said the Cowboys love their depth and have guys that can step up. He said they are executing their off season exactly as planned. The Cowboys clearly see things differently than most fans.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The John Fassel interview yesterday was very telling. He said the Cowboys love their depth and have guys that can step up. He said they are executing their off season exactly as planned. The Cowboys clearly see things differently than most fans.
Of that statement I have no doubt whatsoever! They definitely "see things differently than most fans." :laugh:

rambo2

Reaction score
I was talking about that today. They actually redshirted 2 draft picks last year. I bet that they think that they can play. I suspect that they think Bass and Hoffman can play as well. I think they are high on John Stephens too and they expect Overshown to be a good player.

Praxit

Reaction score

...wow, that's all Quinn's doing. Mostly defensive Dallas players.

I cant believe they got rid of Hanky. When he wanted to stay in Dallas.
Mazi barely showed signs of life in 23'. Now, the probably expect him to be Randy White in 24'.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Here's my take. After that embarrassing loss to GB at home it really looked like the players weren't putting in the effort. Jerry is going scorched earth. Prove you're worth your contract. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but if I was the owner I'd be pretty mad too. I too would probably be hesitant to take out the pen and start writing 100 million+ contracts.

I'm certainly no Jones fan. I think his standard operating procedure in the offseason absolutely sucks. But if this is the effort you're going to get from your players in big games, what's his motivation to spend more? We saw two teams, the Packers and Lions almost knock off the 49ers at their place with an inferior roster. The Cowboys don't play with that level of intensity.
Oh how I wish he feels that way but I have a hard time believing he does.
To me the reality of it all is that he got so hosed by Dak & his agent that this current situation is the result.

MikeT22

Reaction score
They redshirted 2 draft picks last year and they have Overshown and Stephens coming back. They also will add some undrafted players like they did last year and will get some veterans from somewhere.
So players being inactive is a good thing now? Lol

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of that statement I have no doubt whatsoever! They definitely "see things differently than most fans." :laugh:
There's a juxtaposition there somewhere? You're actually advocating for the model that the Jones have used ,unsuccessfully, since the CAP started. The FO appear to have actually evaluated the past season (where we got the NFC 2nd seed) and realized that there needs to be a (soft) reset, rather than the traditional: add CONTRACTS, RESTRUCTURE, KICK CAN and fail as we can only round out the roster with (less than) JAGS).

What fans have missed is that 2023 was (for the Jones') ALL-IN with the last pieces of the jigsaw being: Cooks, Gilmore and Mazi.

......yes there was the chance to trade for Henry, but Captain Hindsight indicates that (probably) wouldnt have been sufficient to get past GB.....and we'd be left without a 1st round pick in this years draft.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Jerry is positioning the team to be sold.

1. Free up Cap Space
2. Entire coaching staff on 1 year deal.
3. Amass draft picks. Trade back for future picks.
4. Tank the season for a high draft pick.
5. 4 Comp Picks next year.

New Owner can pick Coaching staff and have multiple picks to rebuild trade up for a QB of their choice.

Just look and follow Washington model that was sold for $6B. Jerry could easily get $12B.
No one wishes this was the case more than me but it isn't. Jerry and his son are just insanely inept when it comes to running the sports side of a sports franchise

CWR

Reaction score
And again, that is exactly what the Cowboys planned. They will draft one and probably sign a vet cheap after the draft.
And that somehow automatically makes us "better" at rb? Sorry, I don't follow the logic. Us drafting a round 5 rb (for example) isn't an auto upgrade over Pollard.

phildadon86

Reaction score
They redshirted 2 draft picks last year and they have Overshown and Stephens coming back. They also will add some undrafted players like they did last year and will get some veterans from somewhere.
Sure thing Stephen. Counting on injured players is such a great strategy

blueblood70

Reaction score

Here's a crazy thing there's five months before the season starts literally free agency started on 3/14/24 today is 4/5/2024 and many of you think the off season's over you're making comparisons way too soon and it's really becoming exhausting coming in here it's the same post over and over it literally has been less than three weeks of actual offseason activity with five months ahead that means there's more time ahead than there has that's passed before we have to start judging the roster, which starts in September..

So let's keep talking about an offseason hasn't had really time to even get started yet literally this front office after the draft will evaluate what they need and there is a lot of free agents still out there that are actually pretty good players they aren't the biggest names and they don't have the biggest contracts so they're not shiny enough for this fan base to appreciate and they're also gonna be more cut and there's gonna be some trades made just like we made trades for Gilmore hankins and cooks these things all will happen before game one then we can truly say what this team possibly can look like and even then we need to watch all 17 games and make a true evaluation of this roster and how it's gonna turn out..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a crazy thing there's five months before the season starts literally free agency started on 3/14/24 today is 4/5/2024 and many of you think the off season's over you're making comparisons way too soon and it's really becoming exhausting coming in here it's the same post over and over it literally has been less than three weeks of actual offseason activity with five months ahead that means there's more time ahead than there has that's passed before we have to start judging the roster, which starts in September..

So let's keep talking about an offseason hasn't had really time to even get started yet literally this front office after the draft will evaluate what they need and there is a lot of free agents still out there that are actually pretty good players they aren't the biggest names and they don't have the biggest contracts so they're not shiny enough for this fan base to appreciate and they're also gonna be more cut and there's gonna be some trades made just like we made trades for Gilmore hankins and cooks these things all will happen before game one then we can truly say what this team possibly can look like and even then we need to watch all 17 games and make a true evaluation of this roster and how it's gonna turn out..
Blue you’re right, it’s still too early to judge this off-season. There are still months to go. But if the Cowboys were in school, their early progress report card would be an F.

They can still raise their “final grade” with a great draft and some cheap, long shot FAs added. But the odds of all that turning this off-season into even a B- are very low,

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Hankins is so fat he had to list him twice