Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

blindzebra

Reaction score
All we got are the 3 case plays to go by.

Time
Brace
Balance

All followed up by a lunge. That is what we have. That is in the rule.

You want to inject everything else a runner can do. That is not how they are teaching this rule or how they are enforcing it. You know, the top secret special sauce stuff that officials are only qualified to understand.
No, those are case plays. One under acts common to the game, which is rule 8.1.3.c, so where is gather and lunge under that rule? Where is gather and lunge under Item 1? Where is it in player control in 3.2.7?

What you have is YOUR OPINION of what those case plays mean and then you are working backwards and calling them rules. How did that time, brace , balance apply to the Denver play? The one where it was two steps and a reach and was ruled complete? The one where Blandino proclaimed a two handed reach ended part c because it was an act common to the game?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The thing that confuses me is that you can have two feet on the ground while catching a ball and also be going to the ground. Jumping and catching the ball in the air is not the only way to fall to the ground. A runner could stumble, catch a ball while going to the ground, and then take a couple of steps (while going to the ground) and they would call it a catch....I would argue that Thomas was already in the process of falling down when he caught the ball. He lost his balance, but managed to secure control and take a couple of steps (while going to the ground)
The 2015 rule change was huge. The standard for becoming a runner was changed from "maintain control long enough to perform an act common to the game" to the infamous "remain upright long enough." How upright? For how long? That's why nobody knows what a catch is anymore.

The Thomas play in the video is from 2013, before the rule change. At that time, an act common to the game completed the catch process. The act in Thomas' case was reaching for the goal line.

Do the rules specify that there is a different threshold for someone going to the ground after jumping in the air vs someone losing balance while running (or due to contact with a defender) and going to the ground? .
No.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The thing that confuses me is that you can have two feet on the ground while catching a ball and also be going to the ground. Jumping and catching the ball in the air is not the only way to fall to the ground. A runner could stumble, catch a ball while going to the ground, and then take a couple of steps (while going to the ground) and they would call it a catch. It is clear that blandino thinks these two scenarios are different, but do the rules specify that there is a different threshold for someone going to the ground after jumping in the air vs someone losing balance while running (or due to contact with a defender) and going to the ground? I would argue that Thomas was already in the process of falling down when he caught the ball. He lost his balance, but managed to secure control and take a couple of steps (while going to the ground).
In Dez's case he was not going to the ground until he got tripped by Shields, that is also what prevented him from lunging fully, because his right foot could not get back down to push off of two feet.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Look at the very next item in the book, Item 2:

Item 2. Sideline Catches.
If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of making a catch at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, or the pass is incomplete.

What would it matter what a player was doing if he was already out of bounds when he started to fall?
I don't understand your question. A player wouldn't be already out of bounds when he started to fall. You start to fall once you have two feet down, in this case in bounds.

This is basic stuff Percy. Come on now.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
In Dez's case he was not going to the ground until he got tripped by Shields, that is also what prevented him from lunging fully, because his right foot could not get back down to push off of two feet.
Ahh, here it is. The he was not going to the ground play. Thought you said in the other thread that he was?

You're not even subtle with your spins.

And the rule says, with or without contact, so you fail there as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

That’s laughable Dez’s momentum/body lean was clearly taking him to the ground before he came in contact with Sheilds. Dez falling into Sheilds is what ultimately caused Sheilds to fall. That comment is proof positive you don’t know what you’re talking about.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Oh, and now it's a partial lunge. Case plays don't say anything about a half attempt at a lunge.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Ahh, here it is. The he was not going to the ground play. Thought you said in the other thread that he was?

You're not even subtle with your spins.

And the rule says, with or without contact, so you fail there as well.
Where did I say he wasn't going to the ground? I said he was not falling until he got tangled with Shields. Nice try though.

Still waiting for your answer to this:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...00000246515/Calvin-Johnson-rule-strikes-again

Thomas going to the ground after two steps and a reach ended Item 1.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't understand your question. A player wouldn't be already out of bounds when he started to fall. You start to fall once you have two feet down, in this case in bounds.
So they mean "If a player's body hits the ground out of bounds?"

blindzebra

Reaction score

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That’s laughable Dez’s momentum/body lean was clearly taking him to the ground before he ever came in contact with Sheilds. That comment is proof positive you don’t know what you’re talking about.
They dont. But they are so deep into trying to save face that they will say just about anything now. It's a new group of viewers in this thread. Malleable minds.

They got shot down in the other one. Some people just can never admit to being wrong. An ego thing I guess.

blindzebra

Reaction score
They dont. But they are so deep into trying to save face that they will say just about anything now. It's a new group of viewers in this thread. Malleable minds.

They got shot down in the other one. Some people just can never admit to being wrong. An ego thing I guess.
Sure we did. And yes you are.

blindzebra

Reaction score
This coming from someone who thinks any football move can.
Blandino called a going to the ground play a catch without a gather, without balance, and without a lunge. LOL

Here that ticking sound? That is your argument about to explode.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the spin needed here lol.

Going to the ground doesn't begin until it ends Percy, shame on you.
You guys are funny.

Do you agree a player has to have possession of the ball?

Do you agree that a player has to have two feet down in the field of play?

Just checking cause I'm starting to think you know less than I'm crediting you with.

So, when the two feet touch the ground, completing the second part of the three part process, the player will either:
1. Be upright
2. Be falling

You do understand that, right?

Now a player who is upright can be made to fall where they otherwise wouldn't.

And a player can be upright and do something and then fall.

So do you now understand the concept of falling? Guess I didn't realize that had to be explained.