Twitter: Competition Committee says Dez caught it **merged**

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This coming from someone still arguing that a football move can't end going to the ground, lol

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...00000246515/Calvin-Johnson-rule-strikes-again

He’s saying if a receiver is going to the ground and can’t complete all three steps control, two feet down and perform an act committed to the game and is going to the ground it’s not a catch. They showed Calvin Johnson going to the ground and Blandino explained he didn’t have both feet down because Johnson went up in the air to make the catch. The same with Dez he went up to make the catch therefore he didn’t have both feet down during the catch process. They showed the Julius Thomas play and Blandino explained that Thomas had both feet down when he made the catch therefore he established himself as a runner.

According to how this play has been officiated a football move can’t be made when a receiver goes up in the air to make a catch. To perform a football move they have to have both feet firmly planted on the ground during the catch process and immediately start to run. This is very simple to understand especially watching these replay examples.

blindzebra

Reaction score
He’s saying if a receiver is going to the ground and can’t complete all three steps control, two feet down and perform an act committed to the game and is going to the ground it’s not a catch. They showed Calvin Johnson going to the ground and Blandino explained he didn’t have both feet down because Johnson went up in the air to make the catch. The same with Dez he went up to make the catch therefore he didn’t have both feet down during the catch process. They showed the Julius Thomas play and Blandino explained that Thomas had both feet down when he made the catch therefore he established himself as a runner.

According to how this play has been officiated a football move can’t be made when a receiver goes up in the air to make a catch. To perform a football move they have to have both feet firmly planted on the ground during the catch process. This is very simple to understand especially watching these replay examples.
When all else fails, make something up.

Rule citation?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I just asked you if you think that's what they mean by "If a player goes to the ground out of bounds."
It means that if they have possession and two feet down in bounds and then goes to the ground, falls if you will, out of bounds, that they still have to maintain possession through contacting the ground.

Is that what you were looking for?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Blandino called a going to the ground play a catch without a gather, without balance, and without a lunge. LOL

Here that ticking sound? That is your argument about to explode.
Link? And while your at it, how bout that link that you said proves I'm a liar.

Or did you just give up providing any credible facts to back up your failed opinion?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It means that if they have possession and two feet down in bounds and then goes to the ground, falls if you will, out of bounds, that they still have to maintain possession through contacting the ground.
But until some part of his body actually touches out of bounds, he's still in bounds.

So, you're saying they mean "If a player's body hits the ground out of bounds."

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When all else fails, make something up.

Rule citation?

You’re the one who’s making things up you claimed Dez wasn’t going to the ground. You’re claiming Shields knocked Dez to the ground when Dez fell into Sheilds causing Sheilds to fall. The crap you’re coming up with is laughable.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Somewhere along the line, somebody interpreted "goes to the ground" as meaning "starts to fall."

That was me, Percy. However there was another aspect to that comment which I left out of our discussion. This clears up my position, and is an aspect no one seems to be talking about.

Dez goes up and gets two hands on the ball at the forward point

As Dez comes back down Shields gets a hand on the ball and it separates from Dez's hands.

Dez's left foot is down. He still has not maintained control of the ball

Dez pins the ball against his shoulder pad

Dez's right foot lands and he picks his left foot up for the "lunge" At this point he has transferred the ball.

Shield's right leg is between Dez's legs and as Dez take a step with his left, Shield's trips him.

Now Dez is trying to take a step and these two portions of the sequence happen at the same time. But clearly the review considered the trip, because there is no way Dez would have maintained balance the way Shield's thigh was blocking the right leg of Dez.

Thus he is seen as going to the ground. I worded it start to fall, and for some reason you think that matters what I called it.

Go to youtube. Lower right corner is the gear. Click it. Set the speed at .05. This is the slowest and still have the audio.

Move the video to the 1:40 mark and stop the video. Find the end of red progress bar, the bubble at the front of the progress. This gives you control over the progress. You can now move from second to second.

At the 1:44/45 mark you see Dez being tripped. Now you will want to argue that Dez is taking his step with the left foot for his lunge. But to be sure he felt his right leg being impeded and he lunged. But that impeding is the crucial aspect which is in reality a trip, read tackle, and since this is before Dez was upright and making a football move (which he never did) it is seen as the catalyst of why he went to the ground. And in this nugget it is clear he has to maintain the ball all through the catch process.

He did not, the ground caused it to pop out and thus no catch.

Fact is the link itself when you open it shows a freeze frame from a different angle. This is a split second after Dez's leg came into contact with Shield's leg. You know this because in the video you see Shield's leg wrap around Dez's leg with contact and this freeze frame is the next moment after when they both were going to the ground.

Right or wrong the people who reviewed this had to take into account Dez was going to the ground after contact, and had his hand out to brace his fall. Because in a video moment after this, Dez is perpendicular with the ground with no contact to the ground. He could not take a step with his right foot because it was being impeded.

It might even be argued that with Shield's tipping the ball loose, and Dez pinning the ball to his shoulder pad, there was no moment when Dez had both hands on the ball or control before being contacted and tripped/tackled, which was the cause for him to go to the ground, which immediately activates the going to the ground rule of control.

All the Blandino said and Mara said doesn't apply to what happened in those 8 seconds in the game. Furthermore Mara's comment that I have seen posted by most of the press left off the last statement he made, which is as follows.

"I think where we are unanimous," Mara told ESPN on Tuesday, "[are] plays like the Dez Bryant play in Green Bay, going to the ground, [and] the Calvin Johnson play from a couple of years ago. I think all of us agree that those should be completions. So let's write the language to make them completions."

Now note the title of this ABC article which drastically contradicts the title of this thread.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/committee-bryant-14-playoff-play-catch-future/story?id=53395796

And here is the video.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They dont. But they are so deep into trying to save face that they will say just about anything now. It's a new group of viewers in this thread. Malleable minds.

They got shot down in the other one. Some people just can never admit to being wrong. An ego thing I guess.

Everyone of these threads have many of the same cast of characters lined up like ducks in a row being shot down.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You’re the one who’s making things up you claimed Dez wasn’t going to the ground. You’re claiming Shields knocked Dez to the ground when Dez fell into Sheilds causing Sheilds to fall. The crap you’re coming up with is laughable.
Right, don't you have some crying to the mods to do?

blindzebra

Reaction score

blindzebra

Reaction score
Everyone of these threads have many of the same cast of characters lined up like ducks in a row being shot down.
:laugh::lmao::lmao2:what is that quacking sound? Oh, there it is it's KJJ and Blindfaith.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right, don't you have some crying to the mods to do?

Go find someone else to start trouble with. You continue to make this personal. My gosh dude you have some serious issues! You need to be shut down for awhile.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I don't know why I let myself get sucked back in. I guess I just want those folks who are actually interested in how the rule works to not get side tracked by this #conspiracy nonsense.

Until they change it, it will be enforced just as we have explained.

And the next time another one of these catches come up, the same 3 or 4 guys will come in saying "how's that a catch". Or "why wasn't that a catch". They don't understand the rule.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I don't know why I let myself get sucked back in. I guess I just want those folks who are actually interested in how the rule works to not get side tracked by this #conspiracy nonsense.

Until they change it, it will be enforced just as we have explained.

And the next time another one of these catches come up, the same 3 or 4 guys will come in saying "how's that a catch". Or "why wasn't that a catch". They don't understand the rule.
LOL, http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...00000246515/Calvin-Johnson-rule-strikes-again

Two feet and a reach ended Item 1. Right there, right from your boys mouth.