Competition for Maher?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've got an idea. I know I get taunted occasionally for looking beyond the US borders for players, especially from the Japanese X-League, but I'd be curious about some of the Japanese kickers. They'd probably LOVE a shot, and some of them are very good.

Here is the profile of Japanese kicker Takeru Yamasaki: https://profile.ameba.jp/ameba/takeru-yamasaki

He currently plays for the Elecom Kobe Finies (One of the teams in the X-League). He went to Osaka University where he played as a kicker.

Here's a video by and of Takeru Yamasaki:

Please note how often his kicks go out the back of the endzone, including a kick he did from the 30 on kickoffs. His onside kicks look good, especially his form there. He did a try out at the 2018 Kohl's kicking Pro Combine, which is in the video. Look how great his kick was there. One of his kickoffs at a later time in the video was from 80 yards, and sailed through the uprights. The second half of the video is his field goals. Very impressed by that too. Point being, I think the Cowboys really should send this guy an invite to mini camp and training camp. I think we'll be very happy we did. I think his leg is good enough to where he could actually beat out Maher.

You know what? I think I might actually make a thread about him. The more I watch his video, the more impressed I get.

_sturt_

Reaction score
This keeps me grounded when the conversation turns to kickers... we could do better... and we could do worse...

2019-01-01_2239.png

So, I'm content if Maher wins the camp battle, but of course, a camp battle has to happen.

Our problem is, there are so many other teams that have more glaring problems, and that's where the most accomplished kickers are going to want to compete for a job naturally.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I've got an idea. I know I get taunted occasionally for looking beyond the US borders for players, especially from the Japanese X-League, but I'd be curious about some of the Japanese kickers. They'd probably LOVE a shot, and some of them are very good.

Here is the profile of Japanese kicker Takeru Yamasaki: https://profile.ameba.jp/ameba/takeru-yamasaki

He currently plays for the Elecom Kobe Finies (One of the teams in the X-League). He went to Osaka University where he played as a kicker.

Here's a video by and of Takeru Yamasaki:

Please note how often his kicks go out the back of the endzone, including a kick he did from the 30 on kickoffs. His onside kicks look good, especially his form there. He did a try out at the 2018 Kohl's kicking Pro Combine, which is in the video. Look how great his kick was there. One of his kickoffs at a later time in the video was from 80 yards, and sailed through the uprights. The second half of the video is his field goals. Very impressed by that too. Point being, I think the Cowboys really should send this guy an invite to mini camp and training camp. I think we'll be very happy we did. I think his leg is good enough to where he could actually beat out Maher.

I like your thinking.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I think they could find decent competition in UDFA land. Is there a list of remaining Undrafted kickers?

Marc Orozco is the one that evidently worked out with the Cowboys, but so far there's no word on where he's headed that I can find.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...fted-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft

Of the four on Gil Brandt's list here, two of them are competing for the Bears job, one is committed to the Bills. His #1 from an obscure school I imagine no one has ever heard-of still appears to be contemplating his offers.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like your thinking.

Thank you. You probably know my thoughts on the Japanese X-League, but this guy looks incredible. If you notice the 5:10 mark of the video, he nails a 64 yarder that looked like it could've been good from 70. If Maher's claim to the roster was his 60 yarder against Houston, then Garrett is going to LOVE Yamasaki. I think we on this board will end up loving Yamasaki when preseason rolls around. I say that our scouts need to take a look at him and invite him. He's better than a lot of the kickers I've seen in the draft and currently listed as UDFAs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...okie-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft

Here's Gil Brandt's list of UDFAs from the above link:

1. Thompson Myers-Spencer, St. Norbert
2. John Baron, San Diego St.
3. Chase McLaughlin, Illinois
4. Emmit Carpenter, Minnesota

I'd put Yamasaki up against all 4 of them. I think he'd beat them soundly, especially at kickoffs. I'd also put Yamasaki up against the highly vaunted Orozco on here.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Thank you. You probably know my thoughts on the Japanese X-League, but this guy looks incredible. If you notice the 5:10 mark of the video, he nails a 64 yarder that looked like it could've been good from 70. If Maher's claim to the roster was his 60 yarder against Houston, then Garrett is going to LOVE Yamasaki. I think we on this board will end up loving Yamasaki when preseason rolls around. I say that our scouts need to take a look at him and invite him. He's better than a lot of the kickers I've seen in the draft and currently listed as UDFAs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...okie-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft

I'd put Yamasaki up against all 4 of them. I think he'd beat them soundly, especially at kickoffs. I'd also put Yamasaki up against the highly vaunted Orozco on here.

Bring in the dude from Minnesota. He has the right first name and has probably kicked in the cold. Of course his last name is Carpenter so there is that

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'll take him, but I'll also be glad to just get one of these guys. I don't know if Orozco will turn out to be good, but Maher is a career 82 percent field-goal kicker. What we saw from him last year is as good as it gets. I would hope we'd at least try to search for better.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Maher is actually pretty good inside 40 yards...............its the long FGs he misses, especially over 50 yards.

I think he was around 80% last season. Im too lazy to go look it up, but I think it was around there.

Yeah, I would bring in a new kicker for competition regardless.
He’s ranked 26th with a 81% good kickers should be closer to 90%

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Bring in the dude from Minnesota. He has the right first name and has probably kicked in the cold

I could see that, but I'd still put Yamasaki against him. I still think Yamasaki would beat him in a kicking competition.

Here's a video I found of Carpenter:

Here's Yamasaki on the video from earlier:

I think I'll go with Yamasaki if given the choice.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'll take him, but I'll also be glad to just get one of these guys. I don't know if Orozco will turn out to be good, but Maher is a career 82 percent field-goal kicker. What we saw from him last year is as good as it gets. I would hope we'd at least try to search for better.

Yes, one of those guys would be good as well. I'm sure they'd be better than Maher. I just would like to see all of them and Yamasaki compete with each other. I'd almost say bring them all into minicamp and see what they can do.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think they could find decent competition in UDFA land. Is there a list of remaining Undrafted kickers?

There are over 500 colleges who play football. Every one of them had a kicker. Lots of the little buggers out there.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
They will bring in somebody. Even when Bailey was in his prime there was always a second kicker in camp.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
has anyone seen anything about Dallas bringing in a kicker to at least compete with Maher? I googled it and didn’t see anything but I may have missed something.

I honestly see Kicker as a big need, I hold my breath every time Maher steps on the field.

Agreed. I am sure they will bring someone in to compete. They did with Bailey here.