Competition Surfaces for Donald...

DuDa

Reaction score
Never under stand how anyone e can say Donald is over rated as a 3 tech DT in this scheme. Looks at his stats. His videos. His dominated the NCAA. I don't get you people.

Yea I hear you. I've asked other people this questions before. Name me one DT that was more productive as Donald and that fits the defense perfectly..... We'll be waiting for a long time because there isn't any in this draft.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yeah the amount of slobbering over Donald is getting a little ridiculous at this point. I would really like him if we could trade back into the early 20's and get an extra 3rd, but a top 16 prospect is a little hard for me to buy into. What if our next head coach doesn't run the Tampa 2? Donald is a bit of a 1 trick pony, even if he is really good at that 1 trick

He has tremendous talent. Thats why he's rated high, But his height strength and lack of arm length are what keep him out of RD1 in most people eyes. The more people look into him the more they see if he doesnt win right off the snap, he;s not going anywhere. And thats more often then what you would like from your 3tech. He's going to be facing Gs that can throw him out of the way at that weight in the nfl. the average guard is about 320 pound these days. Broaddus brings up good point with him, and thats leverage against inferior comp in college is far different from getting leverage against and NFL calliber G.

I would take Donald with a trade back to the bottom of RD1. But noway would want Dallas to take him at 16. Even then i dont think they take him with that trade down. From the sounds of things from TC and how they talk on whats going on with the team, the higher ups arent on board with Donald.

I do think they would take him in RD2 tho. I just think theyre looking more of guys like Seattles. 6'2-6'3 295-300lb guys. Quick off the snap and ability to get upfield. I think if Jernigan is there they will take him at 16 if they cant trade down

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think it's ambitious to think we should get a minimum of three starters out of any draft.

Normally I agree, especially with Gambler Jerry, but the underclassmen created a lot of depth. We basically ended up with 2 starters from last year's draft which I wouldn't consider a strong class from us.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I would be content with another tradedown this year quite frankly..

I don’t have a problem with it per say.

But just because we did well out of it last time doesn’t mean we will every time.

Just look at 2009.

Sometimes it’s best to take a good player.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Reminds me of the last few years. Last year was Warmack and the other OG (forget his name), and the year before was DeCastro. It seems to not be a bad thing that we missed out on those guys.

They other guy's name was Jonathan Cooper.

Possibly true but I'm not exactly enamoured with who we did pick in 2012 nor the price we paid to get him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9424

Looks like early word around the Combine is that the Bears are hot for him. They just discussed today that they'll be keeping the "1-gap" scheme for their D. This puts a premium on gap shooters v. guys that hold up blockers to play 2 gaps. Crap.

The Bears probably take Jernigan at 14 which is the value there and he plays a 1T. He's a very similar to Donald with longer arms.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think it's ambitious to think we should get a minimum of three starters out of any draft.

This draft is historically deep.
This team may not find 3 day 1 starters but it will be a draft failure to not get get 3 NFL starters.

Average drafts produce 2 starters.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with it per say.

But just because we did well out of it last time doesn’t mean we will every time.

Just look at 2009.

Sometimes it’s best to take a good player.

this board has about 0 success rate identifying that player tho which is his point.
the two times Dallas has been fairly widely locked into a guy in the recent past it was Bobby Carpenter and Felix Jones.
not exactly great picks.

the board is not dumb but it not smarter than the Dallas FO.

If you think this board wasn't giddy over Mo Claiborne you are simply mistaken.
You can easily go a couple hundred pages back to find pure elation on that draft day.
Mo was widely considered the best defensive football player in that draft.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
He has tremendous talent. Thats why he's rated high, But his height strength and lack of arm length are what keep him out of RD1 in most people eyes. The more people look into him the more they see if he doesnt win right off the snap, he;s not going anywhere. And thats more often then what you would like from your 3tech. He's going to be facing Gs that can throw him out of the way at that weight in the nfl. the average guard is about 320 pound these days. Broaddus brings up good point with him, and thats leverage against inferior comp in college is far different from getting leverage against and NFL calliber G.

I would take Donald with a trade back to the bottom of RD1. But noway would want Dallas to take him at 16. Even then i dont think they take him with that trade down. From the sounds of things from TC and how they talk on whats going on with the team, the higher ups arent on board with Donald.

I do think they would take him in RD2 tho. I just think theyre looking more of guys like Seattles. 6'2-6'3 295-300lb guys. Quick off the snap and ability to get upfield. I think if Jernigan is there they will take him at 16 if they cant trade down

So you would rather take Jernigan than Donald? WOW. Both played ACC Jernigan has better talent around him and Donald dominated. Also Broaddus says Jernigan isn't a 3 tech more of a 1 in Marinelli scheme. Marinelli said you don't draft a 1 tech in the 1st. Reason why they didn't draft Floyd last year.

I'm all for BPA. If at 16 there is a better player than Donald that fits the team better then take him and look at Easley or Sutton in the 2nd to play the 3. I think Sutton can be a steal if you can get him back to his 2012 size.
I'm fine with that but don't sit here and tell me Jernigan is a better fit for this team. That's just crazy.

tm1119

Reaction score
So you would rather take Jernigan than Donald? WOW. Both played ACC Jernigan has better talent around him and Donald dominated. Also Broaddus says Jernigan isn't a 3 tech more of a 1 in Marinelli scheme. Marinelli said you don't draft a 1 tech in the 1st. Reason why they didn't draft Floyd last year.

I'm all for BPA. If at 16 there is a better player than Donald that fits the team better then take him and look at Easley or Sutton in the 2nd to play the 3. I think Sutton can be a steal if you can get him back to his 2012 size.
I'm fine with that but don't sit here and tell me Jernigan is a better fit for this team. That's just crazy.

So what you are telling me is that you base your opinions on what Broaddus tells you and looking at a college stat sheet?

I'm not saying Jernigan is or isn't a better prospect than Donald, but your bias is a little ridiculous. It would just be easier to say "I have a man crush on Aaron Donald and any DT prospect in this draft class is automatically inferior." I would take you a lot more serious that way.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
this board has about 0 success rate identifying that player tho which is his point.
the two times Dallas has been fairly widely locked into a guy in the recent past it was Bobby Carpenter and Felix Jones.
not exactly great picks.

You can easily go a couple hundred pages back to find pure elation on that draft day.

I know the board was giddy although I can’t say I was for various reasons (one of which was us not picking DeCastro).

Trading down last year turned out to be the right move in the circumstances and now people seem to suggest repeating the move as a matter of recourse.

My point is in doing so you might pass on a really good player for two (or more) mediocre players.

Sometimes it best not to get too cute.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
They other guy's name was Jonathan Cooper.

Possibly true but I'm not exactly enamoured with who we did pick in 2012 nor the price we paid to get him.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the pick we did make. But had we picked DeCastro, like everyone wanted, I doubt he would've been such a savoir as people were predicting. Honestly, in hindsight, the best draft would've been what we were planning on doing before we got cute --Brockers and Wagner.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I agree. I'm not a fan of the pick we did make. But had we picked DeCastro, like everyone wanted, I doubt he would've been such a savoir as people were predicting. Honestly, in hindsight, the best draft would've been what we were planning on doing before we got cute --Brockers and Wagner.

I think you're right there.

If only we could live our lives with the benefit of hindsight :)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
not exactly great picks.

Not true. Tyron Smith was not a well kept secret, granted I had unique insight into that situation. Still several mocks had us taking Tyron the last month going into the draft. One reporter, I forget who, came out a few days before the draft and said we were definitely not taking Smith. He either got played or was part of an attempt to misinform.

As far as Claiborne, there were several posters who, at the time, said giving up two high picks there was a huge mistake.

I just don't get the overboard attempt of so many here to make excuses for the Front Office. There is one simple fact that proves it isn't up to par. One playoff win and zero conference championship game appearances in over 17 years. Several players and coaches have come and gone in that time. The lone constant is the General Manager. There have been worse Front Offices but no one else gets the chance to be as consistently bad for as long as this one has.