Competition Surfaces for Donald...

Nirvana

Reaction score
The last time we did that was the Ware/Spears/Canty draft.

2011 Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter, Demarco Murray, (Dwayne Harris)
2010 Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Sean Lissemore, Josh Brent
2008 Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick
2007 Anthony Spencer, Doug Free, Nick Folk, Alan Ball
2005 Demarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Jay Ratliff

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I was referring to overall quality, success and consistency, not whether they were able to simply make the roster or start on an average football team.

We have had some one or two player drafts in those you listed, but the fact you listed players like Alan Ball and Sean Lissemore shows where you are coming from.

Alexander

Reaction score
I just don't get the overboard attempt of so many here to make excuses for the Front Office. There is one simple fact that proves it isn't up to par. One playoff win and zero conference championship game appearances in over 17 years. Several players and coaches have come and gone in that time. The lone constant is the General Manager. There have been worse Front Offices but no one else gets the chance to be as consistently bad for as long as this one has.

It is not just about being consistently "bad" at drafting (well, 2009 was absolutely horrific).

There is some residual talent through what I think is at least average drafting.

What is consistently bad is evaluating what we have on our roster from year to year and our lack of the true ability to plan for the future.

The teams that are more consistent at winning are able to critically evaluate the roster and decide where they have opportunities.

We hope things will come around and in fact, use that hope to drive our decision making more than most teams.

Nirvana

Reaction score
2009 was our "special teams" draft. That really worked out well. None of the 12 players drafted are on the team now.

Common Sense

Reaction score
If the Bears resign Melton, I can't see how they would be interested in Donald. Then again, if the Bears don't sign Melton, then that is a potential free agent opportunity for Dallas, assuming Marinelli ever really liked him, in which case Dallas wouldn't be hard pressed for a starting 3DT in the draft anyway.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was referring to overall quality, success and consistency, not whether they were able to simply make the roster or start on an average football team.

We have had some one or two player drafts in those you listed, but the fact you listed players like Alan Ball and Sean Lissemore shows where you are coming from.

Getting three quality starters out of one draft class isn't the norm. It happens, but I don't think that's the benchmark for a decent draft class.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm confused by why you posted this. The only other year that has 3 starters besides the 2005 class that was mentioned is 2011 and Bruce Carter was a terrible player last year.

You've only proven the point. A draft class with three quality starters from it is rare. Especially in Dallas.

Alexander

Reaction score
I'm confused by why you posted this. The only other year that has 3 starters besides the 2005 class that was mentioned is 2011 and Bruce Carter was a terrible player last year.

You've only proven the point. A draft class with three quality starters from it is rare. Especially in Dallas.

Alan Ball started some games. That is how we define success I guess.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Looking over past drafts, these are the picks used to address the DL since our excellent DL picks in 2005:

2006 Jason Hatcher (3)
Montavious Stanley (6)

2007 none (Spencer for 3-4 OLB)

2008 none

2009 Victor Butler (4)
Brandon Williams (4)

2010 Sean Lissemore (7)
Josh Brent (7)

2011 none

2012 Tyrone Crawford (3)
Kyle Wilber (4)

2013 none

Nirvana

Reaction score

Three quality starters is rare. I'm not making a case for Carter or the other guys on the list. Criteria I used was "starter at some point." Bottom line is the Cowboys have not drafted well. I don't think there is a disagreement there. I simply wanted to look it up and posted what I found.

cbow44

Reaction score
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/combinerumors.php
Rumor about Chicago and Donald here. Sounds more like speculation to me, not like Pauline really knows anything.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bears move Shea Mcclellin to Lb,they might be looking at Kony Ealy too.

Don't really like Ealy. He's not all that great against the run. Heck of a pass rush DE but if you run right at him, he's not very good IMO.

Marktui

Reaction score
Lol at people living and dying with the Aaaron Donald pick. I would not be a buyer ar 16.

Agree. Donald is a good player. But how much better is he than the next DT? The thing that scares me with him is if does not beat the guard off the snap, he has trouble disengaging. He could get engulfed by bigger stronger guards. I think there are good options later like Will Sutton, Daquan Jones, Caraun Reid and of course Easely.

Alexander

Reaction score
They were all "special" that year.

Still infuriates me to this day. From Ciskowski saying from minute one it was a "special teams draft" to Jones/Phillips saying the roster was "set".

Loser mentality and it is a big reason we have the problems we have right now to this very day. You cannot have a draft that horrible.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
So what you are telling me is that you base your opinions on what Broaddus tells you and looking at a college stat sheet?

I'm not saying Jernigan is or isn't a better prospect than Donald, but your bias is a little ridiculous. It would just be easier to say "I have a man crush on Aaron Donald and any DT prospect in this draft class is automatically inferior." I would take you a lot more serious that way.

Way to personal attack someone. I have said over and over again that Donald is a top 20 pick and the best 3 tech and best fit for this defense. Never said he was the best over all. Just depends on your scheme. Two years I wouldn't want Donald but today he is the best DT for Dallas. Way better than Jernigan.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on ?

Based on the fixation on this board that he's a must get in the 1st round. He's a scheme specific player. He offers no versatility. There's no way I'd take that kind of player in the middle of round one.

Unless we're married to this version of a 4-3 defense. I'd like to think we're not.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Based on the fixation on this board that he's a must get in the 1st round. He's a scheme specific player. He offers no versatility. There's no way I'd take that kind of player in the middle of round one.

Unless we're married to this version of a 4-3 defense. I'd like to think we're not.

I would think on a "pure" board, Donald would have to rank near the top 10, right?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

Sell me on clowney ? I think he is the most overrated player I've ever seen . 3 sacks ? LOL Donald fits our scheme and consistently has produced at a high level . At this point he has all the intangibles to become a john randle / la roi glover type player , I'll take that over carpenter , spencer ,Claiborne .