Not open for further replies.

Juggernaut

Reaction score

OtMzpSQ.gif

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Complaint.

I had two very large trees that grew in a heavily leaning state. One leaned towards my house, the other did not. I decided the one leaning towards my house definitely had to go. A big storm or something might cause it to fall. So, I do so. Two days after that one was removed, the other learning fell into my yard, now I have to have both removed in the same week!

The tree that fell was leaning at about 38 degrees. All the recent rain soaked the ground so much and that the sheer weight of the tree with the soft ground was too much and pried the entire root ball out of the ground. :(

On a positive note, at least the one leaning towards my house didn't fall. So, my glass is half full hah.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Complaint.

I had two very large trees that grew in a heavily leaning state. One leaned towards my house, the other did not. I decided the one leaning towards my house definitely had to go. A big storm or something might cause it to fall. So, I do so. Two days after that one was removed, the other learning fell into my yard, now I have to have both removed in the same week!

The tree that fell was leaning at about 38 degrees. All the recent rain soaked the ground so much and that the sheer weight of the tree with the soft ground was too much and pried the entire root ball out of the ground. :(

On a positive note, at least the one leaning towards my house didn't fall. So, my glass is half full hah.
I'm in a similar predicament. Unfortunately, the best price I've gotten is $3000 to take them down, which I had, before my surgery. Now I have to save up again.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Complaint.

At my last house, we had a 100+ foot pine tree in the front yard that was leaning badly. If it went down, it was going to take out the neighbor's house. Before we bought that place, we had the city come out and they decided it wasn't a risk but I must have had 10 tree trimmers come to the door over the years saying it needed to be cut down. Obviously, they were looking for business but still. When we sold the house, the buyers wanted us to pay to have it cut down, which we declined. It costs thousands of dollars to take down those monsters. A few months after we sold, a huge rainstorm resulted in a bunch of pine trees going down around town. I've been afraid to drive by the old place and see if that one is still standing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At my last house, we had a 100+ foot pine tree in the front yard that was leaning badly. If it went down, it was going to take out the neighbor's house. Before we bought that place, we had the city come out and they decided it wasn't a risk but I must have had 10 tree trimmers come to the door over the years saying it needed to be cut down. Obviously, they were looking for business but still. When we sold the house, the buyers wanted us to pay to have it cut down, which we declined. It costs thousands of dollars to take down those monsters. A few months after we sold, a huge rainstorm resulted in a bunch of pine trees going down around town. I've been afraid to drive by the old place and see if that one is still standing.
I had a neighbor's pine tree, about 80' tall come down right at my house a couple of years ago. Had it been 100' tall, it would've crashed through my bedroom.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I had a neighbor's pine tree, about 80' tall come down right at my house a couple of years ago. Had it been 100' tall, it would've crashed through my bedroom.
Yikes! Pine trees are nice to look at but man are they a pain in the ***. Pine needles are the bane of my existence and those pine cones that fall too early can be deadly. One killed my neighbor's dog a few years back and I had one land right next to me on my back deck. Made me jump out of my skin.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yikes! Pine trees are nice to look at but man are they a pain in the ***. Pine needles are the bane of my existence and those pine cones that fall too early can be deadly. One killed my neighbor's dog a few years back and I had one land right next to me on my back deck. Made me jump out of my skin.
A pine cone killed your neighbor's dog?

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
A pine cone killed your neighbor's dog?
Yes. Sometimes the wind blows ones out of the trees that aren't fully mature and unlike the typical pine cones you see on the ground, they can weigh several pounds. My neighbor's tree was well over a hundred feet and the pine cone hit his little dog in the head, fracturing it's skull. I don't think it killed it instantly but they had to put it down because the damage was so severe. I picked up the one that landed next to me and it weighed 3 pounds easy. Sounded like a gunshot when it hit the wood deck. The neighbor also had his windshield smashed by one.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. Sometimes the wind blows ones out of the trees that aren't fully mature and unlike the typical pine cones you see on the ground, they can weigh several pounds. My neighbor's tree was well over a hundred feet and the pine cone hit his little dog in the head, fracturing it's skull. I don't think it killed it instantly but they had to put it down because the damage was so severe. I picked up the one that landed next to me and it weighed 3 pounds easy. Sounded like a gunshot when it hit the wood deck. The neighbor also had his windshield smashed by one.
Holy crap! I've lived in wooded areas my whole life and never seen a pine cone that heavy. Even green, the most I've ever seen one is probably a quarter pound, tops.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Holy crap! I've lived in wooded areas my whole life and never seen a pine cone that heavy. Even green, the most I've ever seen one is probably a quarter pound, tops.
I guess it depends on the kind of pine tree. I don't know what kind they are in my area, but check out this article. This guy got hit in the head by one that weighed 16 pounds and it says they can get up to 40 pounds from that type of tree!

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-giant-pine-cone-head-injury-20151013-story.html

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

nobody

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the kind of pine tree. I don't know what kind they are in my area, but check out this article. This guy got hit in the head by one that weighed 16 pounds and it says they can get up to 40 pounds from that type of tree!

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-giant-pine-cone-head-injury-20151013-story.html

Holy... I'd never heard of one being that heavy. That's insane. Thanks for sharing. Sucks about the dog. There's no way I'd let a tree like that live in my yard.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Holy... I'd never heard of one being that heavy. That's insane. Thanks for sharing. Sucks about the dog. There's no way I'd let a tree like that live in my yard.
People around here treat the pine trees like they're holy or something. When I bought the new house, I immediately had two of them cut down because they were so close to the house. Damn pine needles are like sandpaper on the roof and such a pain to clean up. Most of my neighbors are part-timers who only come up on some weekends and holidays. A couple of weeks after I cut the trees down, a guy approaches me in my front yard and says, "Hey, I'm your neighbor across the street. How could you cut down those trees?. It ruined my view of the tree line". He's never spoken to me since and just glares at me now when I see him. I guess technically I was supposed to get a permit to cut them down so at least he didn't report me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
People around here treat the pine trees like they're holy or something. When I bought the new house, I immediately had two of them cut down because they were so close to the house. Damn pine needles are like sandpaper on the roof and such a pain to clean up. Most of my neighbors are part-timers who only come up on some weekends and holidays. A couple of weeks after I cut the trees down, a guy approaches me in my front yard and says, "Hey, I'm your neighbor across the street. How could you cut down those trees?. It ruined my view of the tree line". He's never spoken to me since and just glares at me now when I see him. I guess technically I was supposed to get a permit to cut them down so at least he didn't report me.
Why would you need a permit to cut down your own trees? He might have reported you, but the town just said, "Oh well."

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
A lot of places don't require a permit but supposedly you do where I live in California. Seems to vary state to state and city to city. We also have a weird regulation that says firewood can't be stacked within 200 feet of the house which is impossible for 90% of the residences here. I only know of one person in town who had that enforced though. He must have pissed someone off.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of places don't require a permit but supposedly you do where I live in California. Seems to vary state to state and city to city. We also have a weird regulation that says firewood can't be stacked within 200 feet of the house which is impossible for 90% of the residences here. I only know of one person in town who had that enforced though. He must have pissed someone off.
Most houses don't have property that extends beyond 200 feet of the house. That sounds like a selective ordinance, designed to keep the lower income people from having wood stoves and fireplaces, so the wealthy can decide who to make life harder for.

Sammy

Reaction score

In my city you're supposed to have a permit to plant or to cut a tree (they call them street trees) in the easement. There are certain types that aren't allowed because they don't want to be cleaning them up after they blow over in wind storms. But at this point it's not enforced.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Most houses don't have property that extends beyond 200 feet of the house. That sounds like a selective ordinance, designed to keep the lower income people from having wood stoves and fireplaces, so the wealthy can decide who to make life harder for.
Sounds about right. I've got a cord of wood stacked about 15 feet from my house but is hidden by a tall fence. Hopefully, I never hear about it. They are so spooked by all the fires we have in California every year that insurance companies are dropping people left and right, including us. It was a pain in the *** to find a company who would write a policy for us be we finally did. Several quotes we got would have doubled our yearly premium!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sounds about right. I've got a cord of wood stacked about 15 feet from my house but is hidden by a tall fence. Hopefully, I never hear about it. They are so spooked by all the fires we have in California every year that insurance companies are dropping people left and right, including us. It was a pain in the *** to find a company who would write a policy for us be we finally did. Several quotes we got would have doubled our yearly premium!
Gotta love insurance companies. "We'll protect you...as long as you never need us to."

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
In my city you're supposed to have a permit to plant or to cut a tree (they call them street trees) in the easement. There are certain types that aren't allowed because they don't want to be cleaning them up after they blow over in wind storms. But at this point it's not enforced.
Non-enforcement is a nice thing. Building permits are supposedly a nightmare around here if you're trying to add on to your house or even make minor changes. Very expensive and you're even supposed to get one if you do something as simple as add new windows. Then they nitpick the job to death to the point that I know contractors who have quit minor jobs out of frustration. Most of the work around here is unpermitted as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.