Completely a rumor, but...

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I just read on another forum that there is "talk" about trading G. Ellis and A. Henry to Detroit for Roy Williams.

I know it's a rumor, but it also makes you think whether or not this could work in our favor.

The Cons: We would lose two productive defense players that provide leadership on that side of the ball. So far, that's really the only negatives I can see from it.

The Pros: Gain a No. 1 WR to line up opposite T.O. I think the consensus amongst Zoners is Glenn probably won't be with the team this year. The trade would definitely fill that void. Two "old" players (according to NFL standards) will be shipped off for a young, explosive WR. Anthony Spencer and Adam Jones (huge if here ... IF he's reinstated) move up to first team.

Does anyone know if Ellis or Henry has a no-trade clause?

If this rumor starts to take shape, what are your thoughts?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I would find it hard to believe and would hate to lose Henry and Ellis

But I would do it in a minute if the Lions agreed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That would be dumb. Two starters one of which is a probowler for a guy coming off injury. I think I have an idea what forum this came from. :rolleyes:

Boysboy

Reaction score
zrinkill;2156240 said:
I would find it hard to believe and would hate to lose Henry and Ellis

But I would do it in a minute if the Lions agreed.

Oh please don't tell me it's that crap Yardbarker web site. Please...:bang2:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Was Matt Millen blogging on the internet again?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ellis and Henry are both big contributors here. But with a #2 like Roy Williams we'd hardly need a defense.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
This was a speculative converstation Steve dennis, Chuck cooperstein and matt mosely had on monday afternoon on espn 1033 radio.

It is completely bogus. I heard them talking about it on my way home from seeing the dark knight.

I can also tell you that the three of them were sitting there discussing the Commanders and how they WON a playoff game last year and the year before. So you know what you are dealing with.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I doubt we do this. Again Pacman has not been reinstated, and would be one strip club visit from Jenkins being our starter. Good or not, he's still a rookie and thats not going to be a good thing.

Ellis i could see, since we do have spencer, but Henry i think is going to stay, much to the chagrin of some of the fans.

In fact i'll go out on a limb and say right now in this thread (bookmark it if you want to) that Henry will sign either an extension with us before the start of FA next year.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I like this rumor very much. Both players have a replacement currently breathing down their neck, so it would be a big win for the Cowboys.

Boysboy

Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2156235 said:
I just read on another forum that there is "talk" about trading G. Ellis and A. Henry to Detroit for Roy Williams.

I know it's a rumor, but it also makes you think whether or not this could work in our favor.

The Cons: We would lose two productive defense players that provide leadership on that side of the ball. So far, that's really the only negatives I can see from it.

The Pros: Gain a No. 1 WR to line up opposite T.O. I think the consensus amongst Zoners is Glenn probably won't be with the team this year. The trade would definitely fill that void. Two "old" players (according to NFL standards) will be shipped off for a young, explosive WR. Anthony Spencer and Adam Jones (huge if here ... IF he's reinstated) move up to first team.

Does anyone know if Ellis or Henry has a no-trade clause?

If this rumor starts to take shape, what are your thoughts?

I think if we learned anything from the last Super Bowl-it's the DEFENSE that WINS Championships. NOT some Fantasy Football, razzle dazzle O.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
way too early for that and I seriously doubt even Det would be that silly

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
why would detroit do this? Henry is average at best...and Ellis has maybe 2 more productive years..and Ellis never cracked the Pro Bowl as a down lineman....having said that, I am all for it if Detroit wants to do it

silver

Reaction score
Grand larceny. Although Williams has been hurt quite a bit your getting a 26 year old with tons of upside for 2 thirty something guys who albeit productive, are on the downside of their careers. i'd do it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
People have no conception of value. I don't think that I would do Ellis for RW straight up. Ellis was top 5 in sacks last year which makes him a premier pass rusher which is one of the most coveted things in the NFL. Compounding that is the fact that he is signed to a VERY good deal for us. Thats why he whines every offseason. And adding onto that is that if you deal him then you basically kill your OLB depth. Spencer is not proven by any stretch of the imgination.

RW has one year left on his deal and then hes going to want a huge payday. And while hes a good WR he is not a premier WR despite how much people want to overvalue him. Lets not forget hes hurt every year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for something to talk about:

Strictly from a need standpoint, I don't see it happening.

Detroit does need a pass rusher and Ellis would fit that need.

But Detroit has invested in cornerbacks already and don't need Henry as a starter.

I think a trade involving Ellis and our Roy Williams would fill a bigger need for the Lions.

But obviously it's all speculation.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
again its rumor we dont do rumors, and when you do have something, best i remember your suppose to post a link or source

i dont want to give up henry because henry can cover TE's, best i remember in OTAs henry was getting some interceptions, including 3 in one day, and some of it was covering jason witten, so i want henry here to cover tes in obvious passing downs,

now if the detriot lions want to talk trde for roy williams wr, than i am all ears

slick325

Reaction score
Couldn't see it happening due to the age of both players (Ellis and Henry). Matt Millen is not that stupid....I don't believe. Plus, as much as I would like to see what Spencer has, until he proves it, he is not better than Greg Ellis right now. Dallas doesn't need to give away a 10 sack guy even though I want RW11 to play for Dallas in the worst way.

Secondly, Henry is solid. Nothing special but he won't completely kill you either. So until Adam Jones is fully reinstated and can prove he won't get in trouble over a longer period of time, I'm not on board just handing him the starters role with no proven commodity behind him should he slip up. I do believe that Jones will be starting at some point this season based on the fact that he is a better football player and CB than Henry but make him earn it.

Finally, no one in the NFL has a no trade clause in their contract. That is primarily reserved to MLB contracts.

Boysboy

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2156279 said:
again its rumor we dont do rumors, and when you do have something, best i remember your suppose to post a link or source

i dont want to give up henry because henry can cover TE's, best i remember in OTAs henry was getting some interceptions, including 3 in one day, and some of it was covering jason witten, so i want henry here to cover tes in obvious passing downs,

now if the detriot lions want to talk trde for roy williams wr, than i am all ears

Say all you want about our WR depth-Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it.

If anything, not only TO's and Witten's presences, but getting Felix involved in the passing game as well SHOULD open everything up for our younger guys.