Completely a rumor, but...

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
theebs;2156249 said:
This was a speculative converstation Steve dennis, Chuck cooperstein and matt mosely had on monday afternoon on espn 1033 radio.

It is completely bogus. I heard them talking about it on my way home from seeing the dark knight.

I can also tell you that the three of them were sitting there discussing the Commanders and how they WON a playoff game last year and the year before. So you know what you are dealing with.

Thanks theebs. The site never referenced where they got the information.

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;2156264 said:
why would detroit do this? Henry is average at best...and Ellis has maybe 2 more productive years..and Ellis never cracked the Pro Bowl as a down lineman....having said that, I am all for it if Detroit wants to do it

Have you seen Detroit's drafting history?

Thanks to them-we landed Ware.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have been on record as saying that this very thing or Marcus Spears could happen.

It hinges upon Adam Jones being reinstated and our Roy Williams stepping back up to the plate this Camp.

The coaching staff believes in Anthony Spencer.

Henry will be a UFA after 2009 and would not be resigned. Might as well get something for him now.

I believe Tank Johnson will be the starting NT and they will want Ratliff on the field so they will move him back to LDE. Makes Spears who is a FA at the end of this year I believe, expendable.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2156279 said:
again its rumor we dont do rumors, and when you do have something, best i remember your suppose to post a link or source

i dont want to give up henry because henry can cover TE's, best i remember in OTAs henry was getting some interceptions, including 3 in one day, and some of it was covering jason witten, so i want henry here to cover tes in obvious passing downs,

now if the detriot lions want to talk trde for roy williams wr, than i am all ears

I'm pretty sure he found at footballguys (A fantasy football site). There is no credible source there either. They just mention hearing the radio as well.

/end thread

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;2156292 said:
I have been on record as saying that this very thing or Marcus Spears could happen.

It hinges upon Adam Jones being reinstated and our Roy Williams stepping back up to the plate this Camp.

The coaching staff believes in Anthony Spencer.

Henry will be a UFA after 2009 and would not be resigned. Might as well get something for him now.

I believe Tank Johnson will be the starting NT and they will want Ratliff on the field so they will move him back to LDE. Makes Spears who is a FA at the end of this year I believe, expendable.

You have a RW fathead in your office dont you?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
stasheroo;2156278 said:
But Detroit has invested in cornerbacks already and don't need Henry as a starter.

I think a trade involving Ellis and our Roy Williams would fill a bigger need for the Lions.

But obviously it's all speculation.

Not to mention, the Lions wanted (I still have a hard time believing that Millen proposed this with a straight face) Demarcus Ware and our #1 for Roy Williams.

I have to ask, what is the love for Roy Williams all about? Is it that he played for the University of Texas? He really doesn't seem all that impressive to me. If this was Boldin we were talking about, then I'd be extremely interested in making this trade. But for RW? No way, he is just not that good.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
No way, no how. He's a free agent after this year. Ellis was one of the team leaders in sacks. Pacman is anything but a sure bet, and Henry might be our future safety.

Not just no, but heck no!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156296 said:
You have a RW fathead in your office dont you?
No sir, but I'll bet you a donut he holds out from Detroit.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156308 said:
I do like donuts. Is this an informed opinion or just a guess?
Our interest in RW and his desire to come here is an informed opinion. The trade scenarios are just a guess. I shared the same scenarios on dcfanatic's radio show a couple of weeks ago.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
We wouldn't sacrifice our depth on defense, and Detroit wouldn't want players in that age range. Guys like Favre, Shockey, Taylor, and Williams will be traded only for draft picks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd totally do this.

With Tony, RW would be a pro bowler, top 5-10 receiver every single year he's here.

Angus

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2156269 said:
People have no conception of value. I don't think that I would do Ellis for RW straight up. Ellis was top 5 in sacks last year which makes him a premier pass rusher which is one of the most coveted things in the NFL. Compounding that is the fact that he is signed to a VERY good deal for us. Thats why he whines every offseason. And adding onto that is that if you deal him then you basically kill your OLB depth. Spencer is not proven by any stretch of the imgination.

RW has one year left on his deal and then hes going to want a huge payday. And while hes a good WR he is not a premier WR despite how much people want to overvalue him. Lets not forget hes hurt every year.

Good post. And what would it do to the cap? Everybody ready to throw the homegrown young receivers under the bus without really knowing what they can do?

Both players may be traded, but it will be for picks IMO.

:star:

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2156297 said:
If this was Boldin we were talking about, then I'd be extremely interested in making this trade. But for RW? No way, he is just not that good.

Why? Their stats are similar, with the exception of Boldin's extra year in the league.

Boldin: 5,458 yds, 29 TDs from 2003-2007; 2 complete seasons
Williams: 3,650 yds, 28 TDs from 2004-2007; 1 complete season

They've both had injury problems. But, they are also recognized as two of the better receivers in the league. I wouldn't be upset if we got either one. IMO, it would be easier to make a deal with the Lions than it would the Cardinals. Millen is stupid, he'll do it.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Two old vets (not leaders, just vets) for a young dynamic player that will be around for a long time -- do it in a New York minute. I would trade any of these guys (two in package deal or one with mid round pick next year) Ellis, RW, A. Henry, T. Glenn.... Go get WR Williams to make us even better for years to come.

Make it happen Jerrah.:D

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Hostile;2156292 said:

Yes, this scenario pleases me as well.

The-Simpsons---Mr-Burns-Excellent--C11749617.jpeg

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I have to ask, what is the love for Roy Williams all about?

bc of what he does while playing or the Lions, and outside of (occasionally) Calvin Johnson, hes the only weapon.

If hes that good w/ Kitna, imagine what he would do w/ Romo and single coverage