Completely a rumor, but...

Tovya

Reaction score
Absolutely, positively a horrid idea. I wouldn't even entertain the thought... and luckily I know Jerry wouldn't either.

jaybird

Reaction score
Ok I 'll bite, if this were true and I doubt it, We should definetly do it. Always trade Old for young. Spencer can spell Ellis and Jenkins/Pacman can spell Henry. Do it Yes!!!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would do that trade in a second. Anybody who would not is being driven from a point of view I can not understand. This is all speculation and I will go on record as saying that I do not believe a trade for Henry and Ellis would happen. However, if it did, I would be deliriously happy. I am a big Ellis homer but a potential trade for a young WR with the talent Williams has, opposit TO in exchange for Ellis and Henry, I'm all over it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think we need that third passrusher very badly. Look at how it helped the Giants last year.

And that's not even to mention the possibility of injury. Right now we'd be okay if someone got hurt. But do you want Rogers or Walden or whoever backing up outside?

Now Spears and Henry, I'd think hard about. Better be darn sure about Pacman, though, which is still a gamble.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2156317 said:
Why? Their stats are similar, with the exception of Boldin's extra year in the league.

Boldin: 5,458 yds, 29 TDs from 2003-2007; 2 complete seasons
Williams: 3,650 yds, 28 TDs from 2004-2007; 1 complete season

I dunno, RW seemed to regress last year while Boldin had the most productive year of his career, TD-wise, while only playing in 12 games. He has also already had two seasons of 100+ catches, something RW hasn't even sniffed...

...and yes, all the while playing opposite of Larry Fitzgerald. Roy has been the main guy from day #1. Hell, Mike Furrey even had more receptions than he did a couple of years ago. Mike *****' Furrey!!

Not to mention, Boldin seems both more mentally and physically tough than RW, but that is obviously a subjective opinion.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Man Ellis will be a backup here sooner or later anyways. Henry is the guy I'm more worried about, but event hen We have PAcman, Orlando, Jenkins that can step up. He would serve as a good FS but what are the odds of that.

IMO getting ROLy Williams a #1 reciever and a future starter for several years is worth it to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2156384 said:
I think we need that third passrusher very badly. Look at how it helped the Giants last year.

And that's not even to mention the possibility of injury. Right now we'd be okay if someone got hurt. But do you want Rogers or Walden or whoever backing up outside?

Now Spears and Henry, I'd think hard about. Better be darn sure about Pacman, though, which is still a gamble.

I would rather trade Spears as well but I don't see Spears as a pass rusher so to me, I can't figure out the angle on why Detriot would make that trade. You know I'm a big Ellis fan Lab. I am a very, very strong proponent of a strong pass rush but I'd still make that trade. The importance of balancing the offense with a WR as talented as Williams outweighs the importance of Ellis as the third pass rusher. There would be a certain amount of risk to a move like that, no question. However, I believe that in the long run, having a Roy Williams for several years as opposed to keeping an Ellis and Henry who will only be with the team performing at a high level for a couple season more, at best, is worth it.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
There won't be a trade for Roy Williams unless a high draft pick is involved.

They are NOT going to trade him for two over-30 players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboys2233;2156297 said:
Not to mention, the Lions wanted (I still have a hard time believing that Millen proposed this with a straight face) Demarcus Ware and our #1 for Roy Williams.

I think the deal you're referring to involved trading up for Calvin Johnson, not Roy Williams.

cowboys2233 said:
I have to ask, what is the love for Roy Williams all about? Is it that he played for the University of Texas? He really doesn't seem all that impressive to me. If this was Boldin we were talking about, then I'd be extremely interested in making this trade. But for RW? No way, he is just not that good.

I think Williams is a rare athlete who is good now but could be great. And he's a proven top NFL receiver - to some he's Top 10 - others Top 15. However you'd rate him, he's one of the better receivers in the league.

And that's playing for a woeful Detroit Lions team with subpar quarterback and offensive line play.

I think Williams could fulfill his true potential playing in Dallas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cobra;2156407 said:

They are going to trade him for two over-30 players.

That is kinda how I see it. We could not get that lucky. Just seems very unlikely that Detroit, no matter how seriously stupid Millen is, would ever consider doing that deal.

Tovya

Reaction score
DallasDomination;2156399 said:
Man Ellis will be a backup here sooner or later anyways. Henry is the guy I'm more worried about, but event hen We have PAcman, Orlando, Jenkins that can step up. He would serve as a good FS but what are the odds of that.

IMO getting ROLy Williams a #1 reciever and a future starter for several years is worth it to me.

Right, but Pacman, Orlando, and Jenkins are all unknowns.

Pacman may or may not get re-instated and if he does, there is no guarantee he will be as dynamite as before....

The two rookies on the other hand may very well turn out to be stars, but the chances of them being champion shutdown corners this year is very slim. Plus, there is always the chance their college success may not turn into NFL success.

If we were a 5-11 team again, and building for the future... I'd be all over this deal too. But considering this is supposed to be our year to win it all, it's just too risky.

We have 2 #1 receivers in T.O. and Witten already. I'll take Williams as our #3 but not at the price of risking our Superbowl hopes.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
and I didnt post this before but it was steve dennis really talking about this.

The conversation started when dennis said he got the feeling that jerry was going to trade for a wr after watching special edition saturday night. Mosley and cooperstein laughed at him for watching the show.

Then mosely said he thought it would take two players like henry and carpenter for roy williams. Dennis said henry and ellis.

The three of them sounded like guys who have never watched a game in their life. I wouldnt put more than 1 second of your time in this rumor.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
stasheroo;2156413 said:
I think the deal you're referring to involved trading up for Calvin Johnson, not Roy Williams.

I think Williams is a rare athlete who is good now but could be great. And he's a proven top NFL receiver - to some he's Top 10 - others Top 15. However you'd rate him, he's one of the better receivers in the league.

And that's playing for a woeful Detroit Lions team with subpar quarterback and offensive line play.

I think Williams could fulfill his true potential playing in Dallas.

Sheesh, even worse. Our best defensive player and our #1 for a completely unproven rook. Nice.

Maybe you're right on Roy Williams, maybe I'm the one who is biased since I am an OU fan. The dude is young -- let's do it Mr. Millen!!

:laugh2:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
cobra;2156407 said:

They are NOT going to trade him for two over-30 players.

I dunno, I guess they can franchise him next year, but that's a LOT of money tied up in two WRs for a defensive-minded head coach.

That said, Millen will probably choose the stupidest option possible.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
peplaw06;2156336 said:
wow

so exactly how many Ellis fatheads do you have?

Hey at least I make a case for my position. One which I don't hear the slightest rrebuttal. Ellis is a damn fine pass rusher and one of the best in the league last year as supported by his sack totals.

RW ended his season last year hurt and has been hurt every year he has been in the league save one. then there are contract issues. Its one year of RW and then $8 mil a year if were lucky after that whereas Ellis is signed for multiple years for a pittance.

How about you make a case rather than just blindly babbling...

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
abersonc;2156247 said:
Ellis and Henry are both big contributors here. But with a #2 like Roy Williams we'd hardly need a defense.

Yeah cuz we all saw how well that worked out for the Pats.

I wouldnt do it. We dont need Roy. We need Ellis and Henry. Defense wins championships, and this defense hasnt proven anything yet.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tovya;2156420 said:
Right, but Pacman, Orlando, and Jenkins are all unknowns.

Pacman may or may not get re-instated and if he does, there is no guarantee he will be as dynamite as before....

The two rookies on the other hand may very well turn out to be stars, but the chances of them being champion shutdown corners this year is very slim. Plus, there is always the chance their college success may not turn into NFL success.

If we were a 5-11 team again, and building for the future... I'd be all over this deal too. But considering this is supposed to be our year to win it all, it's just too risky.

We have 2 #1 receivers in T.O. and Witten already. I'll take Williams as our #3 but not at the price of risking our Superbowl hopes.

I think you make good points but I also think that there is a flip side to this line or reasoning. Henry, the past three seasons has been injured. What are the chances that Henry will stay healthy or will even be able to play CB for us? He may well be a safety. Ellis could be every bit as good as he was last year but he may also suffer a reoccurance season. It can happen. Either way, neither of those players are long for the show IMO. I guess I just look at this and say to myself that for the Cowboys to be able to draft a player like Roy Williams, it is going to be expensive because we are not going to have the kind of pick it would take to be in position to take that kind of player. We would have to trade up and that's never cheap. We would also have to develop that player which means another couple of seasons. If we are going to win now, then I think we need to bring in a vet WR to finish the offense. The whole Super Bowl season thing would come to a crashing hault if we lost TO for any length of time. Without him, our offense is not nearly as productive. If you have a Roy Williams on the team, then you could afford to lose TO for a few games and still win. I think you have to weigh the factors and see which eventuallity is more risky.