Computer hell

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2594301 said:
:laugh2:

I'm soooo "hip"!

well since macs still use mostly formerly pc based hardware, you're still going to have driver based issues.

buying a mac doesn't fix your problems, it just changes them.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2594109 said:
I'm presently working in "safe mode" and have been for the last 24 hours. Got the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death" yesterday when I tried to reach my desktop in normal mode. Error message is "nv4_disp / computer caught in infinite loop." The advice I got was to uninstall my "Geforce6800" videocard's old drivers, reboot, then go to Nvidia's site to download the latest ones. I did so, but no dice. Anyone else ever encounter this problem, and if so, were you able to fix it? Thanks.

from nvideas website:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=4432

nvidia is ok. i prefer ATI myself. $30 isn't that big a deal on a card. just depends on what you need it for and what performance you need. new ones cost $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259
$30 w/a $10 rebate. just make sure you get the right pci express card for your computer.

not a heat issue. if a heat issue it will work fine for awhile then reboot constantly till it cools down for a few hours. then repeat process. this is a video issue from what i can tell and yes, a new card would fix it, but the website above is worth a shot if you're trying to save some $.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2596447 said:
from nvideas website:

nvidia is ok. i prefer ATI myself. $30 isn't that big a deal on a card. just depends on what you need it for and what performance you need. new ones cost $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259
$30 w/a $10 rebate. just make sure you get the right pci express card for your computer.

not a heat issue. if a heat issue it will work fine for awhile then reboot constantly till it cools down for a few hours. then repeat process. this is a video issue from what i can tell and yes, a new card would fix it, but the website above is worth a shot if you're trying to save some $.

I didn't realize new cards were so cheap. If I can't fix this by the weekend, I'll go that route. Since I watch all my HD programming on my PC, I need this fixed by the Super Bowl.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2596495 said:
I didn't realize new cards were so cheap. If I can't fix this by the weekend, I'll go that route. Since I watch all my HD programming on my PC, I need this fixed by the Super Bowl.

i think that card even has HDMI out to hook to an HDTV. either way, yea. they're pretty cheap for a base card. i'd go new and just get 2-3 steps past what you need. not a whole lot more overall.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2595790 said:
Actually, even that's not true. I'm just as unpopular in regular society as I am here. I like to stay consistent.

judging by this thread, you suck in real life too ;)

Route 66

Reaction score
I'd make sure whatever video card you buy is the correct bus. If you have an older computer, you might still be on AGP. If you try to put in a PCI, you're not going to like the results. :D

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Rowdy;2596583 said:
I'd make sure whatever video card you buy is the correct bus. If you have an older computer, you might still be on AGP. If you try to put in a PCI, you're not going to like the results. :D

Dell Dimenion 8400/XP-Pro/SP3. Compatibility is the first thing I'd inquire about.

Route 66

Reaction score
bbgun;2596591 said:
Dell Dimenion 8400/XP-Pro/SP3. Compatibility is the first thing I'd inquire about.

I have a Dell XPS Gen 2 with AGP bussing. I can't go out and buy any new card anymore. I have a geforce 6800 Ultra with AGP 8x.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score

15 pages and counting. Looks like I'm not alone. I downloaded and installed the zipped patch mentioned in post #1, but no luck. If all my videos play correctly in safe mode (albeit with no sound), and videos on the Net play fine as well, can it really be a card problem? Maybe it is just the drivers.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2596798 said:

15 pages and counting. Looks like I'm not alone. I downloaded and installed the zipped patch mentioned in post #1, but no luck. If all my videos play correctly in safe mode (albeit with no sound), and videos on the Net play fine as well, can it really be a card problem? Maybe it is just the drivers.

all you can do at this point is dive into the thread and keep getting help. if it does work in safe but not normal, it's a driver issue. keep on the thread, someone will help. that's their site and companies like this take these problems seriously. someone will help you.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2596808 said:
all you can do at this point is dive into the thread and keep getting help. if it does work in safe but not normal, it's a driver issue. keep on the thread, someone will help. that's their site and companies like this take these problems seriously. someone will help you.

My heart sank when one guy said he could only solve it by upgrading to Vista. No thanks.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2596855 said:
My heart sank when one guy said he could only solve it by upgrading to Vista. No thanks.

vista isn't as bad as it's rep but it's one of my least favorite operating systems. i'm on XP now as it is myself.

you can get one of the ati cards and go from there. keep me posted and PM me if you need anything. glad to help if i can.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
iceberg;2596877 said:
vista isn't as bad as it's rep but it's one of my least favorite operating systems. i'm on XP now as it is myself.

you can get one of the ati cards and go from there. keep me posted and PM me if you need anything. glad to help if i can.

Vista got much better once sp1 came out.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2596896 said:
Vista got much better once sp1 came out.

vista was a driver rewrite. that meant upgrade to what was included or wait.

vistas biggest problem *today* is that it nags the #*%# out of you on doing simple changes.

nag filter coming. you choose your level of nag. i've seen win7.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
iceberg;2596909 said:
vista was a driver rewrite. that meant upgrade to what was included or wait.

vistas biggest problem *today* is that it nags the #*%# out of you on doing simple changes.

nag filter coming. you choose your level of nag. i've seen win7.

I haven't :(

I have been trying to find out how to sign up for the beta.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2596934 said:
I haven't :(

I have been trying to find out how to sign up for the beta.

PM me - i'll help.

vista is classic misfire. like winme.

tried too hard. xp is win98SE

the next version of the OS will be a LOT better than vista.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
don't help bbgun

I can't make fun of him behind his back if his computer is working and he's on here

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2597128 said:
don't help bbgun

I can't make fun of him behind his back if his computer is working and he's on here

if someone asks for help, i help.

make fun of me in the meantime. : )