Computer hell

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2597128 said:
don't help bbgun

I can't make fun of him behind his back if his computer is working and he's on here

"Safe mode" gives me Net access, though it takes forever to scroll up and down a web page due to the screwed up drivers. You're stuck with me.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
iceberg;2596877 said:
vista isn't as bad as it's rep but it's one of my least favorite operating systems. i'm on XP now as it is myself.

you can get one of the ati cards and go from there. keep me posted and PM me if you need anything. glad to help if i can.

I was always one who was eager to update my PC to the newest OS, but I have no desire to switch from XP to Vista...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
iceberg;2597185 said:
if someone asks for help, i help.

make fun of me in the meantime. : )

When someone asks for help first I see if it's someone I like and if I don't I mock them first then help. If I do like them...well I mock them first then help. :laugh1:

bear is on my no help list :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2597199 said:
"Safe mode" gives me Net access, though it takes forever to scroll up and down a web page due to the screwed up drivers. You're stuck with me.

I swear, I didn't spread the rumor about you sleeping with Mrs. Robinson in 10 other threads

honor

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2596855 said:
My heart sank when one guy said he could only solve it by upgrading to Vista. No thanks.

that's a copout answer.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
silverbear;2597214 said:
I was always one who was eager to update my PC to the newest OS, but I have no desire to switch from XP to Vista...

fine.

why? what technically or any other way keeps you from vista? tell me YOUR thoughts, not someone elses.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
iceberg;2599083 said:
fine.

why? what technically or any other way keeps you from vista? tell me YOUR thoughts, not someone elses.

Ice....trust me you don't want to get inside bear's head. It will cost a fortune in therapy later.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
iceberg;2599083 said:
fine.

I can give you many reason

1st and foremost Vista chews up more resource than XP even with 4gb of ram I can get more out of an XP box than a Vista

If you game every bit of performance matters; if you run highend applications every bit matters

Hardware if you have some older peripherals they may not work (scanners for example) why upgrade

If you just surf the Internet and check email it is irrelevant which OS you run xp or Vista

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin;2595240 said:
Tap F8 repeatedly while booting and at the safe mode menu select "VGA mode". If it does the same thing your card is fried (Or the fan has stopped working). If not, reinstall drivers.

I tried that, and everything on the desktop was magnified like 500%--although the mouse cursor would no longer freeze on me. When I went to the control panel to reduce the size of the desktop images, it crashed.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
bbgun;2600176 said:
I tried that, and everything on the desktop was magnified like 500%--although the mouse cursor would no longer freeze on me. When I went to the control panel to reduce the size of the desktop images, it crashed.

This sounds like a screen error. The computer might work right, but the screen/CRT night be going bad.

The thing to do is...unplug everything from your computer. Does it work now?

If not, then what you do is reverse analysis. Take out all of your cards except the RAM. Does it work? Can you find a place to just use the computer with another CRT? If it's a laptop?

Your problem sounds like your monitor is all jacked up?

Especially with you! You post all of those huge pics...and it's easy to get the monitor all jacked up/

;)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2600204 said:
This sounds like a screen error. The computer might work right, but the screen/CRT night be going bad.

The thing to do is...unplug everything from your computer. Does it work now?

If not, then what you do is reverse analysis. Take out all of your cards except the RAM. Does it work? Can you find a place to just use the computer with another CRT? If it's a laptop?

Your problem sounds like your monitor is all jacked up?

Especially with you! You post all of those huge pics...and it's easy to get the monitor all jacked up/

;)

But I've had no issues with the monitor in safe mode. And the screen error message is Nvidia specific, which makes me think it's the card or the drivers.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
bbgun;2600176 said:

That's because it's running at an ultra-low resolution for compatibility reasons. It's not using Nvidia's driver anymore and using a generic VGA compatible driver.

You said earlier that you would unzip the drivers and then reboot. Did it actually go through a setup process?

My guess is it's an overheating problem. You might want to check to make sure the fan on your video card is still turning and if it is, leave the side of the case off and boot into normal Windows and see if that fixes it. The heat difference between open case and closed case might be enough to help.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
bbgun;2600249 said:
But I've had no issues with the monitor in safe mode. And the screen error message is Nvidia specific, which makes me think it's the card or the drivers.

It has nothing to do with the monitor. That wouldn't cause a blue screen. It's definitely a crash having to do with video card drivers. Now, there is more than one thing that can cause a crash there. It could be heat, it could be a power supply that isn't giving enough juice, or it could be a video card that is on its last leg.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Ozzu;2600277 said:
It has nothing to do with the monitor. That wouldn't cause a blue screen. It's definitely a crash having to do with video card drivers. Now, there is more than one thing that can cause a crash there. It could be heat, it could be a power supply that isn't giving enough juice, or it could be a video card that is on its last leg.

How can I tell if the fan is running when it's concealed like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pny_6600GT.jpg)? Not to mention other cards/hardware jammed in above and below it.

I did open the comp up the other night and it was very dusty inside. I didn't try to remove the vid card, however, though it too appeared to be dusty. As for heat, I keep my place pretty cool, and the comp isn't subjected to sunlight.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
bbgun;2600305 said:
How can I tell if the fan is running when it's concealed like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pny_6600GT.jpg)? Not to mention other cards/hardware jammed in above and below it.

I did open the comp up the other night and it was very dusty inside. I didn't try to remove the vid card, however, though it too appeared to be dusty. As for heat, I keep my place pretty cool, and the comp isn't subjected to sunlight.

The best and most fun way is to feel for it with a finger. I wouldn't go jamming a finger down in the fins, but close enough to feel them whizzing past your finger.

Also, if it's a heat thing that's just now come up and the fan is still working, dust can be a culprit. It clogs the heatsink fins and keeps air from flowing freely which can push temps pretty high and cause instability. Just getting some canned air down there and blowing that dust out can lower temps double digits.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
whatever happened to just taking it to a computer repair co? shoot even Best Buy's geek squad gotta be better than trying to figure it out on your own.