Computer hell

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Kilyin;2610053 said:
Just gotta keep you ATI fanboys in check.

;)

I have never used anything but ati cards on my builds. Never once had a problem!!!

I currently have a radeon 4850. I built the computer in september and have zero complaints.

well the one complaint is the 4870 which is a better card is now the same price as I paid for the 4850.

anyway, I havent read through this thread much, bbguns card died and that is his problem? or is the card just one of the problems?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2610117 said:
anyway, I havent read through this thread much, bbguns card died and that is his problem? or is the card just one of the problems?

Some say my card is dead/dying and some say it's merely a driver issue. I suspect the latter, but all sorts of troubleshooting schemes have failed to correct it. Ice has been heroic in his efforts, however.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2610108 said:
Multiple reviews mentioned two slots. I guess my biggest concern is that "cheap price" might = cheap, underwhelming card. I don't do any gaming on my pc, but I do watch and record HDTV. If that card can handle that reliably, then I'll bite.

Five reviews and five drastically different opinions. Hmm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161203
good one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103041
another good one. : )

either of these will do fine.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2610171 said:
What about this one? Better than the $30 card at newegg?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/1007692041.html

no. x850 is an old chipset.

THAT takes up 2 slots.

the 3450 is the 3000 series.
there's a 4000 and a 2000 and a 1000 series.

the x8xx series i believe came before the 1000, which was before the 2000, which was before the 3000.

don't get carried about by eye candy you'll never see once installed. besides, that card is agp. gonna have a hard time putting that into a pci x16 slot.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2610176 said:
no. x850 is an old chipset.

THAT takes up 2 slots.

the 3450 is the 3000 series.
there's a 4000 and a 2000 and a 1000 series.

the x8xx series i believe came before the 1000, which was before the 2000, which was before the 3000.

don't get carried about by eye candy you'll never see once installed. besides, that card is agp. gonna have a hard time putting that into a pci x16 slot.

I'm officially out of my depth. From now on, I'll only consider cards you recommend.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I stick with Nvidia because they've never failed me. I have a stack of Nvidia cards in my 'parts room' that were only retired because I have this obsession to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Hell I have Nvidia cards from the early 90s that still work.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Kilyin;2612002 said:
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I stick with Nvidia because they've never failed me. I have a stack of Nvidia cards in my 'parts room' that were only retired because I have this obsession to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Hell I have Nvidia cards from the early 90s that still work.

Never had any problem with the NVidia I installed when the video card Dell put in my PC died... works just fine, but I'm not a gamer or anything...

And not for nothing, but I spent a coupla hours online researching home theater PCs, and most of the high end versions employ the NVidia GeForce top of the line cards...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2612002 said:

both are good chipsets. i don't really put one much ahead of the other. i only go ati here cause the nvidea chispet is having a conflict here. ati likely won't.

you can try another nvidea chipset and maybe it will be fine, maybe not. they share drivers for the most part so i was just steering clear of the issue w/another video card.