Computer hell

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I actually had the same problem last year with my son's Sony VAIO that bbgun has. A few year before we put in a video card (can't remember now which one, but one with a fan) because he had a game that need that video card.

Well, last year, blue screen, boot problems and shut downs...so, I just took out the video card and put the old one back in, and it's all good now. That is why it's a good idea to save the old ones in the static free plastic bags that the new one comes in when you upgrade because you never know when you might need to go back just to get it to work again.

This is also why, after I replaced the card I became more interested in pc repair and took a pc computer repair course so that that I could take the A+ Certification test...failed the first test, studied for two more weeks and passed the second one...

Now what? I'm A+ Certified but don't really want to work in that field as it was just a hobbie for me because like Hollywood Henderson, I don't do anything in the mornings when I wake up and I don't start doing that until after lunch!

But it was interesting reading what you guys are discussing. And I agree, bbgun needs a new video card or just put back in the old one if he has it.

With all those old HUGE pictures he has it's now wonder the video card went bad!

:D

Thanks kylin and iceberg for the education.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2609246 said:
But it was interesting reading what you guys are discussing. And I agree, bbgun needs a new video card or just put back in the old one if he has it.

With all those old HUGE pictures he has it's now wonder the video card went bad!

I do have an old Dell, and I cracked it open today to take a look at the card, but quickly determined that it would not meet my needs (too old, no fan, not sure if it's compatible, etc). I'll either fix my current problem or upgrade.

ThaBigP

Reaction score
iceberg;2608790 said:
yep. doesn't take techies much to go OH YEA???

my problem w/throttling is that the problem is still there and you're getting less than optimal performance out of your cpu. if the cpu is heating up it's usually because the fan is clogged/bad, didn't thermal paste properly, voltage issue on the mboard - there are varying reasons for it and simply "going slower" to me isn't a good solution.

and i've had several machines w/cpus that would go haywire due to heat and do exactly as you describe. so knowing your mindset, direct apology offered and we can move along.

bb -get ATI just to make sure. : )

redneck-pringles-engine-repair-kit.jpg

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
bbgun;2609574 said:
I do have an old Dell, and I cracked it open today to take a look at the card, but quickly determined that it would not meet my needs (too old, no fan, not sure if it's compatible, etc). I'll either fix my current problem or upgrade.

That's what a smart person would do.

:laugh2:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
bbgun;2609631 said:
Which is why I'm looking for a cheap videocard on DC Craigslist.

You got it...

Make sure that it's compatible with your OS.

;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
bbgun;2609631 said:
Which is why I'm looking for a cheap videocard on DC Craigslist.

Yeah I'm sure you are just looking for a video card on craigslist :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2609706 said:
Yeah I'm sure you are just looking for a video card on craigslist :laugh2:

I do enjoy the "women seeking women" ads. :thumbup:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
bbgun;2610002 said:
My bro thinks it has too many negatives (no fan, prone to overheating, takes up two slots, and is probably less powerful than the card I'm trying to replace - GeForce 6800). In terms of Craigslist, the "con" is no warranty/return policy.

doesn't need a fan or it would have one and it only takes up one slot.

also, you have pci x16, not 2.0. you can probably get a 4x series ati but it's overkill. given that, i doubt the 3450 is much less than the 6800.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127330

fan and dual monitor support.

compare the 6800 to ati chipsets. if the review compares to x800, that's pretty old. the 3450 will smoke it and won't need a fan.

Kilyin

Reaction score
PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. The 2.0 card would just use the available bandwidth from the older generation PCI-E slot.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2610038 said:
PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. The 2.0 card would just use the available bandwidth from the older generation PCI-E slot.

yep. that's why i said it was overkill. : ) if he wants to get one now but also for the next machine that could work, but by then it all updates anyway these days.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2610046 said:
yep. that's why i said it was overkill. : ) if he wants to get one now but also for the next machine that could work, but by then it all updates anyway these days.

Just gotta keep you ATI fanboys in check.

;)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2610014 said:
doesn't need a fan or it would have one and it only takes up one slot.

also, you have pci x16, not 2.0. you can probably get a 4x series ati but it's overkill. given that, i doubt the 3450 is much less than the 6800..

Multiple reviews mentioned two slots. I guess my biggest concern is that "cheap price" might = cheap, underwhelming card. I don't do any gaming on my pc, but I do watch and record HDTV. If that card can handle that reliably, then I'll bite.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127330

fan and dual monitor support.

compare the 6800 to ati chipsets. if the review compares to x800, that's pretty old. the 3450 will smoke it and won't need a fan

Five reviews and five drastically different opinions. Hmm.