Computer hell

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2606782 said:
maybe you should be a "good" techie and make sure you understand whats said before poppin off the mouith.

This is what you said:

if a heat issue it will work fine for awhile then reboot constantly till it cools down for a few hours.

Since we are talking about a VIDEO CARD and nowhere in this entire thread did you or anyone else mention a CPU overheating, one would assume you're talking about the subject at hand.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2606789 said:
Is this some sort of e-peen waving contest now? Am I supposed to be enthralled with your 'credentials'?

Hardware failure and incompatibility are two completely different things. Incompatibility issues don't suddenly manifest out of thin air. They either exist, or they don't, barring the introduction of NEW hardware into the system.

I didn't mean to interfere with your courtship of bbgun, so by all means.. do continue. Maybe he'll give you a big sloppy kiss for being so passionate.

you stepped in waving and lobbing insults.

and many things can constitute a system change. that's why overall ownership isn't easy and you get frustrated a lot.

and a big "no shyte" right at ya. later techie-god.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2606795 said:
This is what you said:

if a heat issue it will work fine for awhile then reboot constantly till it cools down for a few hours.

Since we are talking about a VIDEO CARD and nowhere in this entire thread did you or anyone else mention a CPU overheating, one would assume you're talking about the subject at hand.

and if a CPU heat issue this is exactly what it would do.
a real techie would know this and clarify the point.

you just wanna be a .

go ahead and have a day.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2606796 said:
you stepped in waving and lobbing insults.

and many things can constitute a system change. that's why overall ownership isn't easy and you get frustrated a lot.

and a big "no shyte" right at ya. later techie-god.

Maybe you should go back and reread what's transpired. I didn't insult anyone until you came in here using all caps (cruise control for awesome) and acting like you're above anyone else with an opinion.

Kilyin

Reaction score
iceberg;2606798 said:
and if a CPU heat issue this is exactly what it would do.

This is getting comical. Wrong again. Overheating CPUs don't automatically reboot your computer. Ever heard of throttling?

Kilyin

Reaction score
I haven't taken it 'up a notch' yet, and I wouldn't dare since that's against the rules. I'm not the one with my panties in a wad.

Don't worry though, I'm done here.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2606771 said:
You're right....if I liked you :laugh1:

Nobody likes me,
Everybody hates me,
I'm gonna eat some worms...

And I haven't done NUFFIN, honest... but that damn, bbgun, look at the crap he started with this thread... he should be banned...

:D :D :D

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2607398 said:
Nobody likes me,
Everybody hates me,
I'm gonna eat some worms...

And I haven't done NUFFIN, honest... but that damn, bbgun, look at the crap he started with this thread... he should be banned...

:D :D :D

I'm very divisive. You can no doubt relate.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2607503 said:

...and in 2009 a poster wanting info on his screwed up laptop turned out to be the start of the computer geeks war that led to skynet and AI with the machines taking over.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2607511 said:
...and in 2009 a poster wanting info on his screwed up laptop turned out to be the start of the computer geeks war that led to skynet and AI with the machines taking over.

I am the destroyer of worlds. Well, me and hideous 70s fashions.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2607542 said:

I had a feeling you wore platform shoes.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2607544 said:
I had a feeling you wore platform shoes.

What can I say? I'm built Ford Tough.

http://img145.*************/img145/4493/caption0126kb9.jpg

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
bbgun;2607542 said:

Looking sharp BB

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v316/Yeagermeister/leisuresuits.gif

silverbear

Reaction score
bbgun;2607503 said:

Not really, no... in fact, I find the ongoing strife in here to be quite distasteful, even upsetting...

:D

silverbear

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2607511 said:

That's what I'm talking about...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2608280 said:
don't worry, they'll tire themselves out

they're techies for a reason

well it's good to know the things you say still hold less value than the things i flush.

in all fairness, kyl had a point. but his points were more, it seemed, to out-tech me. fine. take it. but in the glib "poke poke" that was going on he was breaking some rules of the techie - don't assume, ask.

i know video cards overheating won't reboot a machine (i've never seen one anyway) and yes, an overheating processor can and will make a machine reboot and be very unstable once it heats up. turn it off, let it chill down and it will be fine. till it heats up again.

sure you can throttle it down, but you'll lose performance. how much? would depend really. but the problem is still the same and throttling it down usually only puts off the problem. esp if a fan issue.

kyl does know his stuff it seems. my main point is find one "techie" and stick with them. jumping around keeps the situation confusing and frustrating for all involved. in the end he made assumptions about what i said, it would seem, for the sole purpose of ragging on my suggestions.

i do understand "techies" have a sense of pride in their knowledge and these things do spin off into a whizzing contest more often than not. my bad for my part in that yesterday. just have a lot of time in PMs with bb and was close to hopefully a resolution for him and it seemed we were starting all over again.

bb - in the end we both said the same thing - just get a new video card and be done w/it. how we got there is kinda a techie path of confusion, but we do both agree that's your simplest path to resolution.

i think either of us would be glad to help you still - but for me, PM me if i can help otherwise i'll bow out and let you keep on your search to end infinite loops. : )

Kilyin

Reaction score
To be fair, my first couple of replies directed at you were merely questioning or disagreeing with statements you made (whether or not I interpreted your statements correctly is irrelevant). I wasn't ragging on you, I just tend to be blunt.

In regards to throttling, I meant thermal throttling. Most Intel (and possibly AMD - unsure) processors have a built in mechanism to throttle down to less than stock speed upon reaching a certain temperature. (t-junction max) I suppose after throttling down and heat continuing to rise the chip would either burn up and shut off your computer, or throw up a blue screen. Can't say I've ever let a processor get that hot.

So this is veering way offtopic. I will accept your indirect apology and counter with my own.

Anyway, we both agree you need a new video card... so go buy one...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Kilyin;2608778 said:
To be fair, my first couple of replies directed at you were merely questioning or disagreeing with statements you made (whether or not I interpreted your statements correctly is irrelevant). I wasn't ragging on you, I just tend to be blunt.

In regards to throttling, I meant thermal throttling. Most Intel (and possibly AMD - unsure) processors have a built in mechanism to throttle down to less than stock speed upon reaching a certain temperature. (t-junction max) I suppose after throttling down and heat continuing to rise the chip would either burn up and shut off your computer, or throw up a blue screen. Can't say I've ever let a processor get that hot.

So this is veering way offtopic. I will accept your indirect apology and counter with my own.

Anyway, we both agree you need a new video card... so go buy one...

yep. doesn't take techies much to go OH YEA???

my problem w/throttling is that the problem is still there and you're getting less than optimal performance out of your cpu. if the cpu is heating up it's usually because the fan is clogged/bad, didn't thermal paste properly, voltage issue on the mboard - there are varying reasons for it and simply "going slower" to me isn't a good solution.

and i've had several machines w/cpus that would go haywire due to heat and do exactly as you describe. so knowing your mindset, direct apology offered and we can move along.

bb -get ATI just to make sure. : )