Congestive heart failure...**Update Post #164**

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I've got it... just got out of the hospital after 2 days, now I've got a cardiac catheterization scheduled for Tuesday... and good luck to me, trying to pay for all of this with no insurance...

The doctor says he thinks I have a blockage, but he also thinks it's something that might be fixed without surgery... of course, he might just be trying to keep me from panicking, but at the same time, when I went to the hospital my pulse oxygen was in the 92-93 range-- not good for a healthy man, they want to see those numbers around 99-100, but for CHF it's not bad... the doctor thinks this means we've caught it early...

I'm pretty scared, but I did NOT start this thread to get a lot of sympathy... I just wanted y'all to know that if I'm not posting in here for a while, there's a good reason... and if I stop posting altogether, well, that probably means I didn't make it...

Damn, and all this happened just a month and a day from my 60th birthday... oh well, if it's a fight I'm in for, it's a fight they'll get... fortunately for me, the Winchester Medical Center (where I'll be having the procedure done) has a top-rated cardiology department, so I'm in good hands...

I just thought I'd give y'all a heads up, so that some weeks or mnnths from now, we won't be seeing those "whatever happened to Bear" threads... if I'm not here, you'll know why, it's the only thing that would keep me out of here...

wittenacious

Reaction score
Sorry to read this news, SB, but first and foremost, I'm glad you're still with us. Looks like you've got a scary health battle on your hands — I'd be scared too — but I'm happy to read you plan to fight the fight.

Thanks for the heads up. Now if I notice you ducking out every now and then, I won't just assume it's my inane posts that have driven you off. Wouldn't expect you to be that easy to fluster, figuring you'll always be back to keep me in line.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you, as I'm sure everybody else's here will be.

silverbear

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4613232 said:
Holy moly! Take care SB and keep us updated.

Yeah, I've just been handed a big ol' crap sandwich... good thing I like bread...

Honestly, I think this is something I'll be able to get past, or perhaps live with would be a better way of putting it... they've already changed a bunch of my meds (saving me a fair amount of money in the process), so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed... and if it turns out I do need bypass surgery, I'm told that's a procedure that they have a lot of success with, especially if the blockage is caught as early as mine seemed to be...

I hadn't been breathing quite right for about 2 weeks, nothing major, just easily winded... I could still walk my 3.5 miles in 65 minutes or less, so I figured nothing was too seriously wrong... then I got to a point where breathing was labored when I laid down, which meant I got zero sleep for about 3 days... it was actually the sleep issues that got me to the emergency room, I felt like I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown...

I've done a lot of sleeping the last 24-30 hours, so I'm feeling a lot better on that score...

I wanna tell you something though, Lasix will make you piss and piss and piss... they gave me some in an IV at the emergency room, and in the two hours it took to get me into a room, I'd "eliminated" 4 liters... that's how much fluid buildup I had... it seemed like I had to pee every 10-15 minutes...

That will be my new diuretic, apparently HCTZ isn't cutting it any more... I plan on being fully aware of where the nearest bathroom is at all times... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
wittenacious;4613233 said:
Sorry to read this news, SB, but first and foremost, I'm glad you're still with us. Looks like you've got a scary health battle on your hands — I'd be scared too — but I'm happy to read you plan to fight the fight.

Hey, what am I gonna do, lay down and quit??

I ask you, does that sound like the Bear you know??

At the same time, it kind of scares me how easily I accepted the possibility that this might be what ends up killing me... I'm not dwelling on that, or letting it get me depressed, I suspect that's because deep down, I believe that I'll get past this particular problem...

Thanks for the heads up. Now if I notice you ducking out every now and then, I won't just assume it's my inane posts that have driven you off. Wouldn't expect you to be that easy to fluster, figuring you'll always be back to keep me in line. :D

Keeping you in line requires little to no effort, wild man... you're one of the good guys...

My thoughts and prayers will be with you, as I'm sure everybody else's here will be.

And I'll gratefully accept all of them... I'm actually kind of touched, my friends and family (what I have left of my family) are all rallying around me, big time... but this sucks, my niece Christy is finally getting married on July 22nd (she and Josh have a 10 year old daugher and a 5 year old daughter), now this crap is threatening to put a damper on what I seriously want to be a great day in her life... she's a nurse at a doctor's office in Martinsburg, WV, and the nurses at the hospital I was in said she was calling 3 times a day, demanding to be updated, right down to the specific medications and dosages...

I always knew I loved her, she's my brother's middle child and one of the most courageous young women I know, but until this happened I never really knew how much she loves me... Lord, I pray that I'll be healthy enough to attend that ceremony...

wittenacious

Reaction score
silverbear;4613236 said:
Hey, what am I gonna do, lay down and quit??
Some might, but you ain't "some." Clear for all to see.

I ask you, does that sound like the Bear you know??
Nope, not even close. Just reminding you who you already know you are, as if you needed it. ;)

At the same time, it kind of scares me how easily I accepted the possibility that this might be what ends up killing me... I'm not dwelling on that, or letting it get me depressed, I suspect that's because deep down, I believe that I'll get past this particular problem...
I can see it crossing anyone's mind: "Is this what's gonna get me?" I've had my run-ins with such thoughts, on certain health issues I've come up against. Initially a shock, then a gut check, then the fight.

Good you're not dwelling on it. Don't give way to any fear. Builds anxiety, your enemy. You WILL get past this problem. How many problems have you beaten back down in your life already? This is just one more, not THE one to take you down. I'll believe that on your behalf.

Keeping you in line requires little to no effort, wild man... you're one of the good guys...
"Little to no effort" is not NO effort. LOL. Keep it up, as needed. Appreciate the "one of the good guys" comment. Just trying to follow in your footsteps. I've clearly got a ways to go to approach the honed wit and sarcastic-but-insightful humor you possess. :)

And I'll gratefully accept all of them... I'm actually kind of touched, my friends and family (what I have left of my family) are all rallying around me, big time... but this sucks, my niece Christy is finally getting married on July 22nd (she and Josh have a 10 year old daugher and a 5 year old daughter), now this crap is threatening to put a damper on what I seriously want to be a great day in her life... she's a nurse at a doctor's office in Martinsburg, WV, and the nurses at the hospital I was in said she was calling 3 times a day, demanding to be updated, right down to the specific medications and dosages...

I always knew I loved her, she's my brother's middle child and one of the most courageous young women I know, but until this happened I never really knew how much she loves me...
Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Sounds like the love of friends and family for you (however many of them there are), and your love for them will do wonders to help you get through this.

Lord, I pray that I'll be healthy enough to attend that ceremony...
I'll add that prayer to my prayers for you, as well.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Get well soon and I have no doubt you'll be at that wedding! Stay strong.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Get in that cardiology center and kick some ***, Bear.

We'll see you here in a few days or weeks. I'm not even entertaining the other side of the coin cuz it's bunk. You're gonna beat this and come back stronger than ever.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;4613243 said:
Good luck with the cath and hope you feel better
:signmast:

And pay heed to all advice your doctor gives you. Don't underestimate anything.

silverbear

Reaction score
wittenacious;4613241 said:
Some might, but you ain't "some." Clear for all to see.

Nope, not even close. Just reminding you who you already know you are, as if you needed it. ;)

I understand what you're doing, and it's helping... thanks, man...

I can see it crossing anyone's mind: "Is this what's gonna get me?" I've had my run-ins with such thoughts, on certain health issues I've come up against. Initially a shock, then a gut check, then the fight.

That seems to be the way it's running right now, though truthfully, with the breathing issues and the swelled ankles, I pretty much knew the diagnosis going in... the truth is, this mostly happened because I couldn't afford my meds when I lost my health insurance (please, no politics here)... my niece was able to get me samples of most of them, but not all of them...

Dr. Byrd helped by a) getting me hooked up with an appointment at the local free clinic, where he volunteers, and b) changing a bunch of my meds, all but one them are Wal-Mart 4 dollar generics... my monthly bill for my meds will now be affordable... I had tried for some months to get an appointment at the free clinic, but they were just swamped, so Dr. Byrd cutting through that red tape will help more than anything, I think... then if I can make it a few more years, I'll be Medicare age...

Good you're not dwelling on it. Don't give way to any fear. Builds anxiety, your enemy. You WILL get past this problem. How many problems have you beaten back down in your life already? This is just one more, not THE one to take you down. I'll believe that on your behalf.

I'll believe it too, then... I like the way you put that...

"Little to no effort" is not NO effort. LOL. Keep it up, as needed. Appreciate the "one of the good guys" comment.

Well, you've earned it... yours was one of the strange scenarios where I argued with a poster, and ended up admiring him...

Just trying to follow in your footsteps. I've clearly got a ways to go to approach the honed wit and sarcastic-but-insightful humor you possess. :)

I think at this point, all you lack is the sarcasm... trust me when I say that sarcasm is at best a mixed blessing... it plays better on message board than it does in real life... keep your friends, don't worry about developing your sarcasm...

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Sounds like the love of friends and family for you (however many of them there are), and your love for them will do wonders to help you get through this.

Both of my later brother's ex-wives have learned about it (his ex-wife, and his widow), I assume through Christy, and have called to express their concerns... they will be up for the wedding, sure do hope I'll be there to see them...

I want to explain the comment about Christy's courage, simply because I'm proud of her... when she was 19, she was in a bad car accident... she got her hand caught outside of the sunroof, between the roof and the car, and got it so mangled they had to amputate it... this was 12-15 years ago, before the kids...

She did not mope, she did not feel sorry for herself, instead she went out and enrolled in nursing school... got her certificate, and now has a great job at a doctor's office within walking distance of her town house... as far as she's concerned, she doesn't have any disability, she figures she can do just about anything a person with two hands can do... she's also a terrific mom...

I'll add that prayer to my prayers for you, as well.

I am sustained by your friendship... thanks...

silverbear

Reaction score
BoysFan4ever;4613247 said:
Get well soon and I have no doubt you'll be at that wedding! Stay strong.

I've got no choice, man... I'll try very hard to do as you suggest...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hey, who said you don't have a heart? Doctors just proved those people wrong. Take care of yours my orsine pal.

silverbear

Reaction score
casmith07;4613248 said:
Get in that cardiology center and kick some ***, Bear.

We'll see you here in a few days or weeks. I'm not even entertaining the other side of the coin cuz it's bunk. You're gonna beat this and come back stronger than ever.

Some of you guys have some serious 'tude... and right now, I need some serious 'tude... I'm feeding off of this energy, big time, and I'm startin' to feel like I can handle anything...

Rest assured I'll be here as often as my health allows me to... you guys are becoming a de facto support crew, and I lack the words to tell y'all how I feel about you...

silverbear

Reaction score
DallasEast;4613253 said:
:signmast:

And pay heed to all advice your doctor gives you. Don't underestimate anything.

Always have listened to the doctors, and I always will... I've been blessed with the doctors I've encountered on my meandering path through out health care system, they've been good, caring men...

silverbear

Reaction score
jobberone;4613259 said:
Hoping all goes well SB.

Your support is appreciated... this may actually turn out to be a blessing, helping me avoid a major heart attack...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;4613269 said:
Hey, who said you don't have a heart? Doctors just proved those people wrong. Take care of yours my orsine pal.

ROTFLMAO... now, they'll just say "yeah, he has a heart, but it's obviously defective"...

I want all of you to know I'm feeling more optimistic, even stronger, after reading this thread... I can't tell you how grateful I am...