congresswoman gabrielle giffords shot in tucson

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Don't know much about the history of the death penalty, but has there ever been a certified mental nutcase getting the death penalty? It's obvious that he is several tons of brick short of a load and his elevator doesn't go to the top. I'm guessing it is most likely he will spend the rest of his life in a secure mental institution. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him fry but doubt it happens.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ninja;3820145 said:
Don't know much about the history of the death penalty, but has there ever been a certified mental nutcase getting the death penalty? It's obvious that he is several tons of brick short of a load and his elevator doesn't go to the top. I'm guessing it is most likely he will spend the rest of his life in a secure mental institution. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him fry but doubt it happens.

I never understood why someone with mental problems should get a pass from the death penalty. The death penalty is because you committed a heinous crime. If someone has mental problems enough to commit the crime in the first place, they are mental enough to do it again and should be disposed of properly; with the death penalty.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ninja;3820145 said:
Premeditation aspect rules out temporary insanity.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If he knew it was wrong that is all that matters and he clearly did since he posted an apology before he went and did it. This insanity BS is just that; you cannot cure it so ice the thug.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hostile;3820225 said:
Premeditation aspect rules out temporary insanity.
I believe this is true.

Many serial killers were nutjobs (clinically speaking). But becasue they planned things out the insanity plea was omitted.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ninja;3820145 said:
Depends on your definition of certified mental nutcase... The mental defect only matters if the person was affected by it to the point that they could not have known that what they were doing was wrong. If they didn't meet that definition at the time of the offense, then it doesn't matter if they met it before or after the incident. So yes, I'm sure people who have had mental defects have been put to death.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If anyone is a mental nut case, they should be put down. (murderer or not) They are useless to society and not needed.

If you put them down like dogs are at the pound, that should remove all the blurred lines about insanity and intent. ;)

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
nyc;3820463 said:
If anyone is a mental nut case, they should be put down. (murderer or not) They are useless to society and not needed.

If you put them down like dogs are at the pound, that should remove all the blurred lines about insanity and intent. ;)

Adolf, is that you?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I hope you all are right and he will get the death penalty but I have my doubts.
1) His lawyer got the Unabomber and the Olympic Bomber plea deals avoiding the death penalty. I have no idea how she did it.
2) The US court system is so screwed up.
3) Loughner is a flaming nutjob who is whacked in the head. I have little confidence some jury will give him the death penalty, especially if it is held in some Liberal state like CA. Those freaks let OJ walk.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ninja;3820760 said:
I hope you all are right and he will get the death penalty but I have my doubts.
1) His lawyer got the Unabomber and the Olympic Bomber plea deals avoiding the death penalty. I have no idea how she did it.
2) The US court system is so screwed up.
3) Loughner is a flaming nutjob who is whacked in the head. I have little confidence some jury will give him the death penalty, especially if it is held in some Liberal state like CA. Those freaks let OJ walk.
The words in bold being key.

I have no doubt that his lawyer will advise him to accept a plea deal to avoid the death penalty and if he accepts it, so be it. I don't mind saving the taxpayers millions of dollars on a trial. Plus, in truth, after this I really do not want his trial bringing publicity like this back to Tucson. I said it early in this thread, these things just do not happen here. We are stunned here. No one I know is unaffected by this.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;3820997 said:
The words in bold being key.

I have no doubt that his lawyer will advise him to accept a plea deal to avoid the death penalty and if he accepts it, so be it. I don't mind saving the taxpayers millions of dollars on a trial. Plus, in truth, after this I really do not want his trial bringing publicity like this back to Tucson. I said it early in this thread, these things just do not happen here. We are stunned here. No one I know is unaffected by this.

But you are OK with paying millions and million more while he sits in some mental hospital or some prison for years, and years and years until someone kills his *** or he dies?

No...lucky for some that it is not up to me, or he would have been dead the next day after!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5Stars;3821015 said:
But you are OK with paying millions and million more while he sits in some mental hospital or some prison for years, and years and years until someone kills his *** or he dies?

No...lucky for some that it is not up to me, or he would have been dead the next day after!
If all the prisoners were dead there'd be a lot of guards out of work. I got nothing against prison guards and employees. Plus you never know, someone might love him.

:D

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;3821040 said:
If all the prisoners were dead there'd be a lot of guards out of work. I got nothing against prison guards and employees. Plus you never know, someone might love him.

He will get his...one way or the other. Poor fool.

Kids at home...do not do what this fool did.

:cool: Be smart instead.

kristie

Reaction score
Hostile;3821040 said:

:laugh2:

Illini88228

Reaction score
5Stars;3821015 said:

Anymore it's more expensive to go through all the trials and appeals and whatnot associated with an execution than it is to just lock somebody up for life.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Illini88228;3821103 said:
Anymore it's more expensive to go through all the trials and appeals and whatnot associated with an execution than it is to just lock somebody up for life.

These things shouldn't even be allowed. Fair trial and due process should be reserved for when a shadow of a doubt exists, not a gambling session for a blatant criminal to string along the system and everyone involved. You were caught in the act, the people have judged you, you shouldn't get a frigging do over.

It's so transparent the misuse of our constitution in these cases it's down right disgusting.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
vta;3821121 said:
These things shouldn't even be allowed. Fair trial and due process should be reserved for when a shadow of a doubt exists, not a gambling session for a blatant criminal to string along the system and everyone involved. You were caught in the act, the people have judged you, you shouldn't get a frigging do over.

It's so transparent the misuse of our constitution in these cases it's down right disgusting.
I do agree. So many of them want to tell you mitigating factors. There are none. He took lives. No one forced him to. Caught in the act means no right to trial.

I'd be fine with that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
that is what is so frustrating about all those stupid appeals. They are virtually never about anything that matters- its not about whether the POS actualy did it- its about someone forgetting to cross a T or dot an i. There should never be an appeal that does not adress actual guilt; at the most if some kind of evidence comes up that says there might be some mitigating factor that did not come up in the trial. But that would once again only be something that would apply to cases much less than this one. There is nothing mitigating about multiple murders. Nothing at all that can change that basic fact.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
ninja;3820145 said:

Yes, mentally ill people have received the death penalty on numerous occasions.