Conner Williams is still fools gold

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was graded 32nd out of 38 centers last year. come on man i get it we like the guy personally but let's not let that be blind to his actual ability.

What Looney did was perform admirably as a backup stepping into a starting role. That was what he was paid to do, and he did it well.

By the way - and I'm not asking to question you - where do you find stats on how players are graded. I see people post grades from time to time, but I've never known where to look.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I didn't watch the 31 other lineman but I watched him and I don't know who is doing the "grading" but good luck finding video of Looney being a below average center.

Connor Williams being a get in the way blocker and not a mover was a weakness along with La'el not knowing who to block when defenses throw stunts and blitzes.

Looney was rock solid.
Jesus fam. He wasn't rock solid. He did a job as a backup. It wasn't a great job. Do you think if he played as well as you think he did he would still be here as a backup. Leary played very well as a backup then what happened. He left and got paid. No1 wants joe looney.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
What Looney did was perform admirably as a backup stepping into a starting role. That was what he was paid to do, and he did it well.

By the way - and I'm not asking to question you - where do you find stats on how players are graded. I see people post grades from time to time, but I've never known where to look.
PFF grades players and ranks them. If you can legit tell me what centers he was better than I would love to know.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jesus fam. He wasn't rock solid. He did a job as a backup. It wasn't a great job. Do you think if he played as well as you think he did he would still be here as a backup. Leary played very well as a backup then what happened. He left and got paid. No1 wants joe looney.

Hey man that's your opinion but I don't think you could watch him play and think he was terrible. We just scrimmaged a team that would love to have Looney in the Houston Texans.

@xwalker probably pays more attention then any of us . What do you think?

blueblood70

Reaction score
IM bettinmg NE wants him, they might lose their starting C for while..I wouldn't trade looney because he can play g/c and those types of flex players that actually can start as a backup dont grow on trees... you are underselling JL, he did play great, not Tfred PB great but thats one of the toughest positions on the field to come in and just play like he did..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
IM bettinmg NE wants him, they might lose their starting C for while..I wouldn't trade looney because he can play g/c and those types of flex players that actually can start as a backup dont grow on trees... you are underselling JL, he did play great, not Tfred PB great but thats one of the toughest positions on the field to come in and just play like he did..

Most teams don't invest in the OL. There is some really bad Olines in this league and guys like Sua Filo even who are ok players could start for a lot of teams.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFF grades players and ranks them. If you can legit tell me what centers he was better than I would love to know.

I didn't argue with your ranking, so what is the point of your question? I'm judging him as a backup player filling his role as a backup player, but you seem insistent on judging him as if he was meant to be a starter. Backups aren't supposed to be at the top of the position ranking.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hey man that's your opinion but I don't think you could watch him play and think he was terrible. We just scrimmaged a team that would love to have Looney in the Houston Texans.

@xwalker probably pays more attention then any of us . What do you think?
There are high school centers that will be an upgrade to houston's line.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Still gets me that we have spent both a 2nd round and 3rd rounder on a LG and we still have questionable play.

Guess it's still better than overpaying for Ron Leary who can only physically play like 6 games a year

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He was graded 32nd out of 38 centers last year. come on man i get it we like the guy personally but let's not let that be blind to his actual ability.
Not sure where these ratings came from but Looney was not the 32nd worst center in the NFL. He's no Fred, but he was more than capable.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Just pick half the centers in the league. Come on man.

1 Jason Kelce PHI
2 Matt Paradis DEN
3 Alex Mack ATL
4 Rodney Hudson OAK
5 Brandon Linder JAX
6 Austin Reiter KC
7Corey Linsley GB
8 David Andrews NE
9 J.C. Tretter CLV
10 Evan Boehm IND
11 Cody Whitehair CHI
12 Ryan Kelly IND
13 Ben Jones TEN
14 Mitch Morse BUF
15 Maurkice Pouncey PIT
16 Graham Glasgow DET
17 Ryan Kalil NYJ
18 Chase Roullier WAS
19 Russell Bodine BUF
20 Trey Hopkins CIN
21 Nick Martin HST
22 Matt Skura BLT
23 Mike Pouncey LAC
24 Tyler Shatley JAX
25 Spencer Pulley NYG
26 Ryan Jensen TB
27 Justin Britt SEA
28 Jonotthan Harrison NYJ

Other guys had higher grades but came in as backups and didn't have a lot of snaps I left them out. So which one can you say he played better than?

kskboys

Reaction score
You'd lose. NE understands the value of the C position. They not only have a capable backup in Karras, they also have 30 game starter Schwenke and a PS guy who's been there for 5 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Still gets me that we have spent both a 2nd round and 3rd rounder on a LG and we still have questionable play.

Guess it's still better than overpaying for Ron Leary who can only physically play like 6 games a year
That's because we have this thing of drafting underpowered OL's. We undervalue brute strength. Almost every OL we draft after the first round, the first thing you hear about them is that they're underpowered.

jnday

Reaction score
Williams will be a very good linemen when all is said and done. Playing him at guard doesn’t take full advantage of his talents. He should be battling Collins for the RT position which is much better suited for him. He will show big improvement at LG this year due to the increase in size and strength. He has never been a bad player like some on this board says.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You'd lose. NE understands the value of the C position. They not only have a capable backup in Karras, they also have 30 game starter Schwenke and a PS guy who's been there for 5 years.

funny I win but we would get more for Looney but eat this Crow and pay up..:))) say you owe me about 25likes start liking away..

NE traded for a C, odd how some of these things pop up..

https://nesn.com/2019/08/nfl-rumors-patriots-acquire-center-russell-bodine-in-trade-with-bills/