Connor McGovern drawing trade interest

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I simply meant that Ward/McGovern have a chance to be a future starter here. We would be dealing them before they even got a chance to do anything.

I also don’t think the return would be as high as most think. I would much rather keep him so we aren’t forced to overpay Williams

I understand now, and I agree 100 percent.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would have no issue trading him but would need to know for what? a player or a draft pick? and of course what rd. Walker trade showed me one important thing anyone can be traded for the right price. I would not hand McGovern for anything less than a 3rd. If a team is approaching Dallas about a trade then use that leverage. If that team is unwilling to give up a 3rd, well as they say sometimes the best trades are the ones that didn't happen.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean you always listen but I can't imagine what type of trade value he'd have...i'm sure ever team would love to have him for a 6th lol.

quickccc

Reaction score
Though he's been in the NFL for 3 years now, McGovern still has the skinniest arms i've ever seen on a supposedly regarded OG draft prospect
and still looks like he's never hit a weight room in his life. It's puzzling. It's like watching Blake Jarwin 2.0 at OG.
Obviously he's the type that plays stronger than he looks.

I've still not seen him enough yet vs top interior DTs per last year in '2020, to know he'll be the real deal in the very near future.
Doesn't appear to be dominant but he's not being overwhelmed either. If there's an injury to Williams earlier on, we're likely find that out.

But with the way OL coach Joe Philibin seems to be when it comes down to LG competition, Conner in the starting lineup will be the Williams, not the McGovern.
But the Cowboys did not draft McGovern in the 3rd round just to be depth forever. .

Now how will it play out in that LG competition in the ways of Stephen Jones come FA period time next offseason ?
i used to think Stephen per his supposed philosophy, will not dish out big contract money to average players
(ala Hitchens, Church, Awuzie, etc) but from what i've seen recently with Brown, Lewis and last 2 years with Crawford. .. i dunno nowadays.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be like when we traded Ward for Ehinger.

Future starter traded for cheap depth or a late round pick.

That actually was a good trade at the time, but a knee injury screwed it up.
But fans do not see it that way as hindsight kicks in.

Also at that time Ward was like the 12th DB in TC. Chances are he was a PS candidate.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I simply meant that Ward/McGovern have a chance to be a future starter here. We would be dealing them before they even got a chance to do anything.

I also don’t think the return would be as high as most think. I would much rather keep him so we aren’t forced to overpay Williams

By Jove, I do believe this man gets it!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
I like all the reaction or should i say OVERreactions form a tweet that said getting offers, not that jerry is considering just theres some inquiry's yet fans just start ripping jerry and the FO as if they are going to do it and get ripped off..

sad state of affairs' as fans are miserable and insufferable daily, looking to just have negative reactions and overactions to EVRETYTHING!!

what if they get starting DL? and a pick what if they win the trade..

cant afford to trade him but a super short position could be filed , maybe you do it..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Alos at that time Ward was like the 12th DB in TC.

my recollection was that Ward was really starting to round into starter form at a position we desperately needed to keep the best players not only for the time but for the future.

it was a trade I feared we would regret.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my recollection was that Ward was really starting to round into starter form at a position we desperately needed to keep the best players not only for the time but for the future.

it was a trade I feared we would regret.

KC actually wanted another CB. Dallas said no, and offered Ward instead.
I can’t recall the Player they wanted, I would need to see an old TC roster.

But as usual they were wrong as that CB they kept did not stick around very long.
However he was ahead of Ward in TC at the time. I do not hold this one against the team. It was an even chance either way.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
McGovern is depth that we need on the O-line. Trade someone else like Jaylon Smith or Amari Cooper.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The returns are usually better when they call us

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
KC actually wanted another CB. Dallas said no, and offered Ward instead.
I can’t recall the Player they wanted, I would need to see an old TC roster.

But as usual they were wrong as that CB they kept did not stick around very long.
However he was ahead of Ward in TC at the time. I do not hold this one against the team. It was an even chance either way.
It's not like Ward is a world beater or anything either. Yes it would be nice to still have him, but trading him was like cutting Abram Elam in 2007

Robster8989

Reaction score
I wouldn't move him unless the offer was too good to pass up.
To me he is our 6th starter (on the O Line)
If the C goes down, Williams moves to C and McG starts at G.
If either G go down, McG starts at G.
If a T goes down, Martin kicks out and McG starts at G.
I hope that's the way they look at the OL.
He likely gets a lot of PT this year and moves into a full time starter next year.
Reminds of of the situation we had when we had John Gesek back in 93 I believe, where Gesek was starter quality but came off the bench. When Pro Bowl Center Mark Stepnoski went down during the season, Gesek stepped in and we didn't miss a beat on our way to a Super bowl victory. Important to have that kind of depth and versatility.