Connor McGovern drawing trade interest

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

A team with so many talent deficiencies builds and develops a player only for fans and writers to be shopping him off'
Laughable, lads. Laughable.
Eduard_Gr%C3%BCtzner_Falstaff_mit_Zinnkanne_und_Weinglas-780x439.jpg

Kingofholland

Reaction score
His trade value wouldn't match his potential or importance as an interior backup. Plus he still has 2 contract seasons left while the other Connor is in his final contract year.

In short McGovern will likely be needed at some point over the next two seasons.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why? Williams is the starter, McGovern is still a backup at this point.

Regardless, I have no interest in trading away the guy who would likely be your starting left guard next year in McGovern.
If you think McGovern is good enough to start, do you think other teams will be like, "well, he's a backup, he must be worth less?"

But the main reason McGovern should bring more in trade is the contract situation. If you trade for McGovern, you get him for $220k this year and $220k next year. If you trade for Williams, you get him for $500k this year and then you have to sign him to a new contract. Average guards make around $5-7M per year.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A team with so many talent deficiencies builds and develops a player only for fans and writers to be shopping him off'
Laughable, lads. Laughable.
If a team has talent deficiencies, doesn't it make sense to transfer talent from an area of strength/excess to an area of weakness? You build and develop players so you can get maximum value out of them, whether by playing them or leveraging their value to acquire talent in areas of need. That's what you're trying to do in a trade. I doubt there's a trade that makes sense, but your argument doesn't make any sense to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think McGovern is good enough to start, do you think other teams will be like, "well, he's a backup, he must be worth less?"

Compared to the actual current starter in Williams? Yeah, the backup is worth less.

But the main reason McGovern should bring more in trade is the contract situation. If you trade for McGovern, you get him for $220k this year and $220k next year. If you trade for Williams, you get him for $500k this year and then you have to sign him to a new contract. Average guards make around $5-7M per year.

Exactly the reason why you keep him. This team is cap poor and the last thing they can afford is to have both Williams and McGovern gone next year and a huge void to fill at guard.

Williams is currently projected to cost $10 million a year when he undoubtedly leaves in free agency next year. And you suggest compounding his loss with trading away McGovern?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His trade value wouldn't match his potential or importance as an interior backup. Plus he still has 2 contract seasons left while the other Connor is in his final contract year.

In short McGovern will likely be needed at some point over the next two seasons.

I think you’re right but I’ll say this. Most NFL linemen are terrible and teams will come off more than you think for a solid Olineman that is young.

I think a better than avg CB, Safety, or 3 technique should get be considered if offered or a 2nd round pick.

kskboys

Reaction score

That doesn't make sense. NFL min is over $500,000. How can a team pay less?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think you’re right but I’ll say this. Most NFL linemen are terrible and teams will come off more than you think for a solid Olineman that is young.

I think a better than avg CB, Safety, or 3 technique should get be considered if offered or a 2nd round pick.

Yes certainly not untradeable, but would expect offers for 4th and 5th round at this point.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I would only trade him under certain conditions. Both need to happen.

1. We get a 2nd round pick.
2. They take Jaylon and his salary with him.

In other words, Conner and Jaylon for a 2nd.

J12B

Reaction score
The Bears might trade a 2nd rounder for him.

Their oline is atrocious.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compared to the actual current starter in Williams? Yeah, the backup is worth less.
Not in trade value. You have to factor in the contract.
Exactly the reason why you keep him. This team is cap poor and the last thing they can afford is to have both Williams and McGovern gone next year and a huge void to fill at guard.

Williams is currently projected to cost $10 million a year when he undoubtedly leaves in free agency next year. And you suggest compounding his loss with trading away McGovern?
I'm not suggesting they trade him. I'm just saying his trade value is likely higher than Williams's.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That doesn't make sense. NFL min is over $500,000. How can a team pay less?
My bad. I was reading the wrong column in Spotrac. McGovern is around $800k this year and $900k next (the other number was his prorated signing bonus). Williams is over $2M this year and would need a new contract next year. So McGovern is much much cheaper.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not in trade value. You have to factor in the contract.
I'm not suggesting they trade him. I'm just saying his trade value is likely higher than Williams's.

And I’m saying you’re wrong.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
What a bunch of BS. I love what passes for reporting these days. Archer is a clown show.