1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Connor Williams is the weakest link on the OL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Dak_Attack_09, May 26, 2020.

1. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

16,788 Messages
    27,085 Likes Received
    Don’t be.

Jumbo filled in fine when Frederick was out. He was more than solid. The players around him were terrible.

Biadasz likely starts next year. Unless we bring Joe back on a one year deal.

2. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

7,861 Messages
    12,726 Likes Received
    Don’t sleep on Biadasz winning the C position and allowing Joe Looney into the mix. Before this season of injuries that guy had a first round grade. Wisconsin just churns out linemen. Very good player. He was the steal of the draft.

3. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,561 Messages
    3,488 Likes Received
    It's the silly season, the time of year when nothing is happening and people start to think crazy things. CW is not great, but given Frederick just retired, it's hard to argue any position on the OL is weaker than C right now.

4. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,219 Messages
    7,461 Likes Received
    sold.

AsthmaField and Chocolate Lab like this.
  5. 12+88=7

12+88=7 Well-Known Member

745 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    Not exactly. Sacks,

2016 tied for 7th with 28
    2017 10th with 32
    2018 31st with 53
    2019 2nd with 23

2018 Looney started. Not good.

The other choices Biadasz, rookie never played. And Conner 2nd year never played.

The center position is the most uncertain starting position on the team.

texbumthelife and Kaiser like this.
  6. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

4,513 Messages
    4,845 Likes Received
    I dont particularly trust Williams as the swing tackle.

Ideally we never find out.

He will lose to McGovern in camp at LG.

Its entirely possible he is on this team for two more seasons and doesnt play another offensive snap.

7. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

16,788 Messages
    27,085 Likes Received
    Right. Sacks.

It’s a lot more complex than Looney started and everything went bad just because of him.

About 14-18 of them were all on Dak. Connor Williams was a rookie and undersized. Cameron Fleming was awful. Xavier Sua Filo was pretty terrible.

Nice little breakdown here. This was written with about 2-3 games left in the season. Accounted for 45 of the 53 sacks this year.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/cowboy...ott-sacks-assigning-blame-offensive-line/amp/

8. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

20,216 Messages
    16,810 Likes Received
    Issac Garcia? Even if he can make the move from Mexico, which is miles from a given, and even if he can play OG, which also is not a given, it's almost impossible to think he could be ready in the near future.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    xwalker likes this.
  9. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

21,747 Messages
    18,421 Likes Received
    tempting

xwalker likes this.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

15,496 Messages
    26,544 Likes Received
    I'm halfway between you and SeanLee, I think Looney was OK to good but the line calls and pickups suffered a lot with Looney at that spot. That said, it was the least of our worries because that year was a trainwreck for the OL, but I think we can do better at Center than Looney as the starter. Love him as a backup though.

11. BigD_95

BigD_95 Well-Known Member

1,340 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received

there isnt much truth. Obviously when you have Martin, Smith, Collins on your o-line ... the odds are you are the weaker player but that doesnt mean that you are not good or solid player.

Williams has flash some pretty good play & for some players year 3 is when you really start playing good. Not all players hit their stride as quick.

12. MikeB80

MikeB80 Well-Known Member

4,287 Messages
    4,758 Likes Received
    I actually think frederick was the weak link last year. Clearly he knew he was not himself and that is why he retired but if you watch some of the games late in the year like minnesota he got pushed around pretty good.

Williams is going to be in a really tough interesting spot this year. He is injured and recovering, has a new coaching staff that may or may not teach a new/different technique and there are two players who may be ahead of him in camp at positions he could possibly play in center and guard.

13. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

16,489 Messages
    15,258 Likes Received
    I really thought you'd drop this nonsense after the umpteen number of threads you made about it during the season exposed your lack of knowledge and unfounded bias.

JoeKing, AsthmaField and xwalker like this.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

31,625 Messages
    21,947 Likes Received
    According to PFF, CW gave up only 1 sack. He improved greatly in his second year.

15. texbumthelife

16,489 Messages
    15,258 Likes Received
    Is it too late to get in on this action? I tend to frown on taking advantage of the mentally impaired, but hard times and all that...

John813, Luther and xwalker like this.
  16. texbumthelife

16,489 Messages
    15,258 Likes Received
    How dare you bring statistical legitimacy to an emotional argument?!

John813, RoboQB, xwalker and 2 others like this.
  17. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆

23,339 Messages
    57,179 Likes Received
    :lmao2::clap:

18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

80,595 Messages
    56,114 Likes Received
    First 3 replies in this thread.

:laugh:

Issac Garcia will be lucky to land on the PS.

CowboyStar88 and xwalker like this.
  19. BackInTown

BackInTown Member

48 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    If you have good to great players next to you, a mediocre player can hold their own at interior OL (Kyle Kosier, anyone?). At least this is true as long as you know how to play smart. So I think either way would be ok as long as McGovern (who I expect to be a stud) wins at least one of the two positions in play. That said, I’d rather Biadasz turn out to be good enough to start so that CW can focus on being our swing tackle (likely to protect blindside 4-6 games per season, depending on Tyron’s lower body). Looney is a great backup but average to below average starter. So is CW, though CW still has a chance to be better than that. But the other players all have more upside at this point... so if Looney wins out at C, it means one of the youngsters didn’t pan out (at least not yet as Biadasz might benefit from a full NFL offseason) or there was an injury.

20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

47,734 Messages
    48,510 Likes Received
    Connor Williams was playing really well last season before the injury.

texbumthelife and Luther like this.