Connor Williams leads the NFL in penalties

Zordon

Reaction score
https://www.nflpenalties.com/all-players.php?year=2021&view=total

- 7 total penalties, tied with Alex Leatherwood for most in the NFL.

- 6 holding penalties is #1 in the NFL. Nobody else has more than 4.

- 75 penalty yards is 3rd highest in the NFL. The rest of the top 6 are all DBs.

- He's already surpassed his penalty totals from the previous three seasons (2018 - 6, 2019 - 5, 2020 - 5, 2021 - 7).

This cannot continue. It will bite us in the arse in the playoffs.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I think we see a swap after the bye week. I think they wanted to give Williams a shot to prove he could get a second contract and this was by far his worst game. Not only did he commit a holding penalty, but then he was hit with a taunting penalty? I wanted him to get benched then and there. If we don't make a change it will be too late.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

- 75 penalty yards is 3rd highest in the NFL. The rest of the top 6 are all DBs.

- He's already surpassed his penalty totals from the previous three seasons (2018 - 6, 2019 - 5, 2020 - 5, 2021 - 7).

What's worse is that usually OT are the ones more susceptible to holding calls going up against the elite pass rushers. CWilliams is a OG.. not good at all. And now he is being watched closely by refs and no benefit of the doubt is given. So it will only get worse. This is just not acceptable.

Aven8

Reaction score
He’s killing me, but I trust Philbin on this one if he makes the change. I’m screaming for McGovern here too but maybe McGovern can’t pull like Williams can. He is good at that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I’m still bullish on CW. Penalties are annoying, but I think he is still a league average G. He’s athletic enough to pull which has been a huge piece of our run game, and he can at least be OK in pass protection.

Im skeptical he gets another contract with the cowboys, but he will with someone, and the cowboys will want to maximize that comp pick. I see CW getting every chance before losing his role.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Some of this stuff has been very ticky tack, but it seems the refs are keying in on him. We'll see what the Cowboys decide to do during the bye week.

There is something to be said about consistency especially when you're a top offense. However, either you work with Williams on improving technique or look at alternative options. It seems center is also a focal point. For the record if the play was that bad the offense would be struggling a lot more. I'm guessing McGovern continues to get a look somewhere along the line.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lol.....

Iago33

Reaction score
I think we see a swap after the bye week. I think they wanted to give Williams a shot to prove he could get a second contract and this was by far his worst game. Not only did he commit a holding penalty, but then he was hit with a taunting penalty? I wanted him to get benched then and there. If we don't make a change it will be too late.
Was it taunting? What did he do? I don’t remember seeing a replay on the broadcast

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I am pretty sure half of those penalties are bullcrap calls by refs.

Two or three years ago the Cowboys DL went 9 games without one holding penalty on the opposing OL. You think that was coincidence?

I am sure Mac Jones is telling his RT it is ok to hold if he is getting beat. Sometimes a hold is better than getting the QB trucked.

glimmerman

Reaction score
How many holding penalties for this game. I knew the pats game would get us a bunch of penalties. One of his holding was a ticky tack. Not sticking up for him just wondering.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He just had 3 holds (plus the unsportsman) this game so that's why he's so high. There was at least one that was bs and we were never shown what the unsportsman conduct was about.
Should have read your post first. I knew the refs this game would be calling a bunch.. No excuses though.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Who was the player we had for years that did that. Was it Colombo. Or before him…