Connor Williams Looks Bigger

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't know if we can say that. It took Collins a few years to really hit his stride, especially after a position switch. Williams was a college LT being switched to pro LG. He stayed on the same side, but went from a position where he faced smaller guys with speed to one where he's facing big guys with power and sometimes speed to go with it.

i am saying that i don't expect williams too be dominant in regards for 2020.
My hope is that he turns into a Richie Incognito type whereas he is not overpowering physically or dominant
but because he has a combination of athleticism, quick feet, elite techniques, and a knack for the game, he could eventualy
be pro bowler. the only difference is i dunno if Williams has Richies' flat out mean streak demeanor and at this stage Williams still
makes several mental mistakes with penalties and he's not always that swift when it comes to stunt-twist recognition..

Josh Sitton wasn't dominant but he was a consensus pro bowler for packers,
Richie Incognito wasn't overpowering dominant but he was a 4 time pro bowler.

I thought it was a tremendous asset to have Fred beard by his side, to lead him along the way.
But line stunt twist and exotic blitzes are not exactly a Looney trait. And watch for Looney going against the top interior DT/NT.
that's where he can be exposed and get his azz handed to him backwards.

cern

Reaction score
Had we retained o-line coach frank pollard, Williams would be much further along. But frank was inexplicably released and the incompetent paul alexander was brought here to coach the o-line. Giant step backwards. Then colombo got the job, but he was just a rookie coach. The line will improve with pgilbin as coach.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My hope is that he turns into a Richie Incognito type whereas he is not overpowering physically or dominant
but because he has a combination of athleticism, quick feet, elite techniques, and a knack for the game, he could eventualy
be pro bowler. the only difference is i dunno if Williams has Richies' flat out mean streak demeanor and at this stage Williams still
makes several mental mistakes with penalties and he's not always that swift when it comes to stunt-twist recognition..

I thought it was a tremendous asset to have Fred beard by his side, to lead him along the way.
But line stunt twist and exotic blitzes are not exactly a Looney trait. And watch for Looney going against the top interior DT/NT.

I agree that not having Travis next to him isn't going to make things easier for Williams this year. I don't know if he will be dominant because it's hard to say where he is in his development or if he'll even develop into a really good guard. I think we need to see progression and it appears that might happen. Of course, you could say it appears that way because of who he has been going against. None of the DTs we have are exactly Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Had we retained o-line coach frank pollard, Williams would be much further along. But frank was inexplicably released and the incompetent paul alexander was brought here to coach the o-line. Giant step backwards. Then colombo got the job, but he was just a rookie coach. The line will improve with pgilbin as coach.

Not with you on that one. Pollack inherited a good situation and had begun to squander it when Dallas made the switch to Paul Alexander. While Alexander was a bust, I don't think the decision to move on from Pollack was wrong.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
In the games he played he was getting much better imo. Played 11 games and gave up one sack I believe. He did have four holding calls and two false starts. I do believe he is more more fit for the outside with his quick feet and height

Those are lies dude, he was the reason Zeke was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage on 1st down running plays. Dude is just too weak to be a true LG, we need a real DAWG in their if Cowboys want to fully utilize Zeke and Pollard.

@AmariChill @PAPPYDOG

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Given the fact that he's has 4 knee surgeries in the last 3 years yeah of course he would take a value deal if offered right now, he's the complete opposite of someone you throw even mid tier money at now so of course he'd take the the deal (he's an injury prone player that's closer to a legit backup than a legit starter)

The most recent was just a scope. It's not that serious.

Really nothing to be overly concerned about.

Were the others any more invasive?

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
saw a video on youtube of the teams account and he looks alot bigger. hes not that small OL we saw as a rookie. And it looks like he has improved alot on the strength side. IN the clip they showed he was going up against Crawford and he manhandled him. And Crawford is considered a strong guy. This is encouraging for me.
Regardless, it’s better for us McGovern is better.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Connor Williams was playing with excellent recognition and technique against blitzes and stunts. He showed terrific ability to pick up and pass off those blitzing/stunting defenders.

He also show excellent ability to block on the 2nd level with good angles/positioning and quickness.

In about the first 3 games he had some penalties but after that he was playing really well.

He is well ahead of La'el on the mental side of the game.

La'el was good 1-on-1 but made many mistakes especially in the run game with regards to blocking the wrong defenders or taking bad angles on 2nd level blocking.

Looney was OK physically in 2018 but the team missed Fred's on-field coaching/line-calls as much or more than his physical ability. Even Tyron made an unprecedented number of mental mistakes that season which I think was due to Fred being out.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Many say Connor Williams is a draft bust as he isn't a pro bowl caliber player. Not all lineman drafted are plug and play, high level starters. Connor Williams needed some development and is getting better and better every season. Everyone wants to get him out of the starting lineup, just like they did with Kyle Kosier, who was highly underrated player for this Cowboy team. Connor as a rookie played Aaron Donald as good as anyone. He does struggle against power at times, but he is improving his strength every year to be able to handle the match-ups better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do people claim Williams lacks strength? It's never been true.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Time was OL were drafted as projects because few coaches would play rookie OL. They had to make them bigger, meaner and stronger. That's why Landry liked to convert DL, with a mean streak, to OL because they were already there as far as attitude. Larry Allen, as great as he became, wasn't a starter at the outset and got his welcome to the NFL with a one arm ragdoll toss from Reggie White.

He was an OT at Texas and they knew coming in they would have to "guard" him up if he was to make it and he got pushed around quite a bit as a rookie because he was perceived as the weak link in a strong chain. However, a great way for him to find out what it's going to take and for them to get e good look at him. Since they got another Connor, the jury is still out on Williams.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the rap on him in the draft. The opinion was he would need strength training to be at LG and he did get pushed around a lot.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I usually am confident about most of the offensive linemen the Cowboys pick, this dude isn't one of them.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was the rap on him in the draft. The opinion was he would need strength training to be at LG and he did get pushed around a lot.
It was? Man, that's just not what I heard. Shows how different scouting reports can be.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I had to look. Scouting reports all had Williams at 320. He is listed on team website at 298. Weight is redistributed? I always thought his issue was strength not size. He was a T for most of college so he is an impressive athlete for a big man. That athleticism helped him compete with quick DTs. Big powerful guys would routinely push him around. Strength was/is his issue. Until I see it I think the guy should be back at T. He has some competition right now so he’ll have to earn it.

Plankton

Reaction score

He lacks functional football strength. Guys like Da'Ron Payne have given him fits with their power. He also has a bad tendency to duck his head from time to time, and when he does that, he can be beaten laterally.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was? Man, that's just not what I heard. Shows how different scouting reports can be.
That was the reason for the speculation about letting Collins go and putting him at RT because he wasn't strong enough for the inside.

Everything I read about him stated that they had to build him up to play G and especially on that left side between two pbers. I watched him quite a bit and he got shoved around a lot. On replay, it would look like a rock wall on the right side and a swinging door on the left too often. Not all the time, he stood his ground too but he'd get knocked around a lot, especially on stunts when a DE could get up a head of steam.

Rough rookie assignment on an OL with 4 1st rounders and all having been to a pb. He knew he was going to get challenged early and often.