Context: Phillips Forced Retirement

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Phillips chose to commit to UCLA where he immediately made an impact showing off his physical prowess and ability to cause chaos for the opposing team’s quarterbacks. Unfortunately, early he would suffer a high ankle sprain early on and, upon returning from that injury, suffered a concussion. All and all, he was only able to play a total of 6 games his freshman year but managed to tally an impressive 3.5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss.

The following season was marred by injury before it could even begin. Phillips was involved in a moped accident where he broke his wrist and he suffered another concussion in that stretch, the third of his collegiate career.

UCLA has a policy that forces their football players to medically retire after suffering three concussions, and as a result, Phillips was forced to retire and pursue his other passion, music.

Bizwah

Reaction score
In all honesty it doesn't matter how he got the concussions. If i remember correctly, players that have had multiple concussions are more susceptible to them.

He is a risk.

The question is, how much of a risk are the Cowboys willing to take? Pick 10? Pick 44? Off the board?

Carson

Reaction score
In all honesty it doesn't matter how he got the concussions. If i remember correctly, players that have had multiple concussions are more susceptible to them.

He is a risk.

The question is, how much of a risk are the Cowboys willing to take? Pick 10? Pick 44? Off the board?
44 no doubt. 10? No chance

HungryLion

Reaction score
He is such an intriguing prospect.

From a pure talent perspective. He is IMO the best defender in the draft..... from a pure talent perspective. He is an incredibly gifted pass rusher.

The true question is. How far down do the injury concerns make him slip?

It’s really such an interesting situation.

If he does stay healthy. I really think he is going to be a 10+ sack a year guy for a long time in the NFL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Phillips chose to commit to UCLA where he immediately made an impact showing off his physical prowess and ability to cause chaos for the opposing team’s quarterbacks. Unfortunately, early he would suffer a high ankle sprain early on and, upon returning from that injury, suffered a concussion. All and all, he was only able to play a total of 6 games his freshman year but managed to tally an impressive 3.5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss.

The following season was marred by injury before it could even begin. Phillips was involved in a moped accident where he broke his wrist and he suffered another concussion in that stretch, the third of his collegiate career.

UCLA has a policy that forces their football players to medically retire after suffering three concussions, and as a result, Phillips was forced to retire and pursue his other passion, music.
Pass!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

From a pure talent perspective. He is IMO the best defender in the draft..... from a pure talent perspective. He is an incredibly gifted pass rusher.

If he does stay healthy. I really think he is going to be a 10+ sack a year guy for a long time in the NFL.
Parsons is far and away the most talented.

Gaede

Reaction score
One big hit and we'd all hold our breath.

Durability is such an underrated quality and this guy doesn't have it.

Sydla

Reaction score

The important item isn't that he had to quit UCLA football, it's that he tripped a three concussion requirement. That should be a concern for sure.

Bizwah

Reaction score

I agree. If he were healthy, I think he easily is a top 12 choice. Same thing with Caleb Farley at CB.

I'm just not sure either are worth the risk in round one. I love the players....it's frustrating (has to be for them) that there are questions about health.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is a great edge rusher, just feel we can't take the risk,

If you’re goal is to win a Super Bowl in the Dak window then you take this player.

If you’re goal is to continue to be safe and do the smart football thing that keeps us mediocre year after year then don’t do it.

I still say I’d like a medical opinion instead of basing opinions on speculation.

We’re all speculating on how severe these concussion are going forward and like I said in another thread... DEnds just aren’t at a high risk of concussions because they just don’t take big shots to the head very often and on top of that he’d be in a rotation.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you’re goal is to win a Super Bowl in the Dak window then you take this player.

If you’re goal is to continue to be safe and do the smart football thing that keeps us mediocre year after year then don’t do it.

I still say I’d like a medical opinion instead of basing opinions on speculation.

We’re all speculating on how severe these concussion are going forward and like I said in another thread... DEnds just aren’t at a high risk of concussions because they just don’t take big shots to the head very often and on top of that he’d be in a rotation.

With the history we have of taking injured guys I wouldn't rule if out, but with our history of taking injured guys that continue to get injured I would personally...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am a big Parsons fan. Also a PSU alum.

You may be right. But I wouldn’t say “far and away”. Phillips is a supreme athlete too.

btw, The cowboys could select Parsons at 10 and I would be doing back flips man.
Parsons at 10 and a corner in the 2nd would be incredible.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Always good to get the back story, especially on Phillips the way this draft is.

Western

Reaction score
In addition, the culture of the UCLA football program under Chip Kelly caused some player's (including Phillips's) dissatisfaction of, and withdrawal from the program:

Also, per Peter King, the concussions weren't the cause of Jaelan Phillips' temporary retirement. He just hated playing under Chip Kelly that his enjoyment for the game declined significantly

If NFL GM's did their proper research, and due diligence like contacting former Bruins coach Jim Mora, Jr., and Phillips's coaching staff at Miami -- head coach Manny Diaz, and former DC coordinator at Miami, Blake Baker -- they all endorse Phillips overwhelmingly.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I like Phillips the player, but there is a lot for teams to investigate. Yes, we are all aware of his multiple concussions, but he has also has several other injuries throughout his career. Usually injury prone players, continue to struggle with availability. Heard there are some immaturity concerns as well as not loving the game of football and wanting to pursue a music career. He is a classic boom or bust prospect. Could be a pro bowl player or out of the league in a short period of time. Way too risky to take at 10 for my liking.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Man I remember you arguing for months for the cowboys to take Newman over Suggs.

but we all grow and change our views over times.

Proof

Reaction score

we get it, you like him. But no, taking a massive risk isn’t the only way to get ahead. Especially drafting at ten. Surtain is only a “safe pick” in that he checks literally every box. But there’s a bunch of and then some there as well. And as far as DE’s not being at risk of concussions, it’s not really a relevant discussion because he’s sustained several... as a DE. That can’t just be hand waved away.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I like Phillips the player, but there is a lot for teams to investigate. Yes, we are all aware of his multiple concussions, but he has also has several other injuries throughout his career. Usually injury prone players, continue to struggle with availability. Heard there are some immaturity concerns as well as not loving the game of football and wanting to pursue a music career. He is a classic boom or bust prospect. Could be a pro bowl player or out of the league in a short period of time. Way too risky to take at 10 for my liking.

A car crashed into him while he was on a moped.

Are we really going to chalk that up to being “injury prone?”