Context: Phillips Forced Retirement

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think the most amazing thing from all the old forum members who came to the zone is @Floatyworm still has the same username and never got banned on here and forced into using 1 million different variations of floadyworm.

Whag even is a floatyworm? It sound like some fishing tackle like a banjo minnow.
:lmao2::lmao::laugh:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I used to post on CPND with the Commanders fans a lot and saw you there quite a bit.

I also posted on the old NFC East Rantatorium back in the day. With some of the CPND folks.
Yep, I still go to CPND. A lot of them know their football and I have a love/hate relationship with some of those guys.

They treat me with respect most of the time though... not like extremeskins.

I think I remember your old user ID.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think the most amazing thing from all the old forum members who came to the zone is @Floatyworm still has the same username and never got banned on here and forced into using 1 million different variations of floadyworm.

Whag even is a floatyworm? It sound like some fishing tackle like a banjo minnow.

Floaty is the goat of GOATS when it comes to trolling cowboy sites.

He also had one hell of a fascination with John
Abraham back in the day.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

At one time I think he did say it was a fishing tackle thing.

I remember because I was so glad that it didn’t have anything to do with a bathtub.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
How many years did Frederick play? 7 or 8?

If we got 7 or 8 years out of this guy and he retired around 29-30 would that be a success for us?

If he pans out like I think he will then you would do cartwheels to have a premium pass rusher for that long.
I hear you. If I could be assured of 7 or 8, I might take it. But we can’t.

I had concussion issues in my time playing and even though it was just a junior college, I wanted to try to go up to a university but because of concussion/migraine issues, I just have it up.

They definitely became easier to get over time. That scares me with a prospect in the first.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He probably was...

I respect Rack even though I smacked him around when he had the high ground..

I’ll say it for him.. Pass Rush > Coverage.. He was right.

Especially now days when corners can’t do anything but shadow the WR while they make the catch.
Recently, I’ve said a few times on here that “I try to never speak in absolutes in regards to the draft”. One of the lessons that taught me not to do that had a lot to do with you. You might remember it.

You and I were talking about the first round of the upcoming draft (on The Ranch I think), and you said that you though Willis McGhee was going to be a fist round pick, even though it looked like his lower leg was almost severed against Ohio State in the Fiesta bowl.

I said that there was absolutely no way that he’d go round 1 because his knee injury was so severe that teams couldn’t even be assured of him even playing. You said that you thought someone would take the risk because he was so talented.

At least I said that if it happened, I’d come back and give you props.

Welp, as we all know, you were right, and I immediately logged on and said how wrong I was and how right you were.

I was sure it wouldn’t happen but it did.

It is one of the lessons that tempers my language when I feel strongly about a prospect, and now I rarely do speak in absolutes about the draft.

Do you remember that?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Someone needed to put that place out of its misery. I haven’t even thought of that place in about 15 years.

As for Phillips, it is good to know that his quitting football was forced because of him crossing the concussion threshold, and not because he was thinking about quitting football... which plenty of people on here have accused him of. Some of them giving that as a big reason they don’t like him.

It is a big thing to me because the love of football is one of the main things that I look for in a prospect.

I’m right there with you on Phillips. I think he’s very good and has a chance to be a perineal double digit sack guy. I also agree with you (and @CATCH17 ) that his impact on the team would be among the highest of all rookies.

However, his concussions (and how they’re become easier to get as they accumulate) is such a scary thing with a first round pick - particularly a top 10 pick - that I just can’t say that’s who I want with Dallas’ first.

At 44? Yeah, all day long. I’d love for that to happen. Maybe a trade up from 44 if he slides enough? We can hope.

But at 10, both Surtain and Horn are such clean, good prospects that I just about can’t help just wanting to nail that position and just move on.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think Phillips can be great. I’m not one of those guys that hates another prospect just because I’d rather see someone else picked at 10. I think Surtain, Horn and Phillips are all really good choices for the Cowboys.

I’m all about hoping that they manage to find a way to get Phillips with their next pick though. Knowing that he has never decided to quit football just makes me want him in Dallas more. Thanks for posting this.
Yeah, my whole point wasn’t that concussions aren’t serious, but rather to push back at the narrative that he was some sort of quitter that didn’t love the game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Recently, I’ve said a few times on here that “I try to never speak in absolutes in regards to the draft”. One of the lessons that taught me not to do that had a lot to do with you. You might remember it.

You and I were talking about the first round of the upcoming draft (on The Ranch I think), and you said that you though Willis McGhee was going to be a fist round pick, even though it looked like his lower leg was almost severed against Ohio State in the Fiesta bowl.

I said that there was absolutely no way that he’d go round 1 because his knee injury was so severe that teams couldn’t even be assured of him even playing. You said that you thought someone would take the risk because he was so talented.

At least I said that if it happened, I’d come back and give you props.

Welp, as we all know, you were right, and I immediately logged on and said how wrong I was and how right you were.

I was sure it wouldn’t happen but it did.

It is one of the lessons that tempers my language when I feel strongly about a prospect, and now I rarely do speak in absolutes about the draft.

Do you remember that?

My gosh your memory is good..

I was a huge McGahee fan.. He was never the same back he was at Miami but he was still pretty good.

Btw, I love stories about me being right.

waving monkey

Reaction score
In all honesty it doesn't matter how he got the concussions. If i remember correctly, players that have had multiple concussions are more susceptible to them.

He is a risk.

The question is, how much of a risk are the Cowboys willing to take? Pick 10? Pick 44? Off the board?
Im just tired of injury histories

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Floaty is the goat of GOATS when it comes to trolling cowboy sites.

He also had one hell of a fascination with John
Abraham back in the day.

Floaty is an absolute legend.

I was a moderator on that website and he used to beg me to unban him and I wanted to so bad.

The rage this guy brought out in people was second to none. An absolute OG troll of the Internet.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I am more concern with his overall health. Head injuries are no joking matter. I think he needs to really think about the rest of his life health wise. I would love to have him on my team if he did not have the concussions. His overall well being is what more important to me. I know when you young you think your invincible. The problem is we aren’t.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Phillips chose to commit to UCLA where he immediately made an impact showing off his physical prowess and ability to cause chaos for the opposing team’s quarterbacks. Unfortunately, early he would suffer a high ankle sprain early on and, upon returning from that injury, suffered a concussion. All and all, he was only able to play a total of 6 games his freshman year but managed to tally an impressive 3.5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss.

The following season was marred by injury before it could even begin. Phillips was involved in a moped accident where he broke his wrist and he suffered another concussion in that stretch, the third of his collegiate career.

UCLA has a policy that forces their football players to medically retire after suffering three concussions, and as a result, Phillips was forced to retire and pursue his other passion, music.
Didn't know about that

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is such an intriguing prospect.

From a pure talent perspective. He is IMO the best defender in the draft..... from a pure talent perspective. He is an incredibly gifted pass rusher.

The true question is. How far down do the injury concerns make him slip?

It’s really such an interesting situation.

If he does stay healthy. I really think he is going to be a 10+ sack a year guy for a long time in the NFL.
He reminds me alot of Jason Taylor

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A car crashed into him while he was on a moped.

Are we really going to chalk that up to being “injury prone?”

When you only play 10 games in two years at UCLA, that's concerning no matter how he got injured. If he was not such a medical risk, many would be discussing him as a top 10 talent. Not one person within the media has him as a top 10 prospect.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
When you only play 10 games in two years at UCLA, that's concerning no matter how he got injured. If he was not such a medical risk, many would be discussing him as a top 10 talent. Not one person within the media has him as a top 10 prospect.

Yeah, I think it actually does matter how a guy gets injured if you’re going to call him injury prone.

Shawn Springs infamously had chronically bad hamstrings that plagued him most of his career. Playing football actually put him at risk for the injury flaring up.

Phillips’ concussion issues are real, but I’m not going to knock a guy for getting hit riding a moped and breaking his wrist.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He is such an intriguing prospect.

From a pure talent perspective. He is IMO the best defender in the draft..... from a pure talent perspective. He is an incredibly gifted pass rusher.

The true question is. How far down do the injury concerns make him slip?

It’s really such an interesting situation.

If he does stay healthy. I really think he is going to be a 10+ sack a year guy for a long time in the NFL.

You're GM.....ask yourself, would you take a chance on him with a 1st rounder? I wouldn't.......early 2nd, no question but not a 1st.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You're GM.....ask yourself, would you take a chance on him with a 1st rounder? I wouldn't.......early 2nd, no question but not a 1st.

I would with a late first rounder. Then again. Prospects available in the mid 20’s and on have around the same grade as guys in the early second anyway

John813

Reaction score
Someone needed to put that place out of its misery. I haven’t even thought of that place in about 15 years.

As for Phillips, it is good to know that his quitting football was forced because of him crossing the concussion threshold, and not because he was thinking about quitting football... which plenty of people on here have accused him of. Some of them giving that as a big reason they don’t like him.

It is a big thing to me because the love of football is one of the main things that I look for in a prospect.

I’m right there with you on Phillips. I think he’s very good and has a chance to be a perineal double digit sack guy. I also agree with you (and @CATCH17 ) that his impact on the team would be among the highest of all rookies.

However, his concussions (and how they’re become easier to get as they accumulate) is such a scary thing with a first round pick - particularly a top 10 pick - that I just can’t say that’s who I want with Dallas’ first.

At 44? Yeah, all day long. I’d love for that to happen. Maybe a trade up from 44 if he slides enough? We can hope.

But at 10, both Surtain and Horn are such clean, good prospects that I just about can’t help just wanting to nail that position and just move on.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think Phillips can be great. I’m not one of those guys that hates another prospect just because I’d rather see someone else picked at 10. I think Surtain, Horn and Phillips are all really good choices for the Cowboys.

I’m all about hoping that they manage to find a way to get Phillips with their next pick though. Knowing that he has never decided to quit football just makes me want him in Dallas more. Thanks for posting this.

Yea, you booked it out of the Ranch way before it really went downhill with Mike/new admins. Back when RoyP actually posted/looked like he cared about the forum lol.

Back to the topic at hand, yea at 10 Phillips is too risky. Trade up from 44 or trade down from 10 and I'll be on board.