Context: Phillips Forced Retirement

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He may be super talented, but I'm tired of taking risk players. LVE would be one of the most dominant LBs in the league, if not for his neck injury. We took a gamble on drafting him in the first round, and he hasn't panned out primarily because of his injury. I'm leery taking Phillip in the first and even the second because we need to sure-fire players. Maybe gamble if we get an extra second or third. But I can't recommend him in the first.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It's good to know the context for that, I had no idea that policy was still in place.

Even then, his record stands at 4 football injuries suffered in 20 career games, which is a pretty scary pace.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd love to have him. However, with CTE being a concern, just for his sake, I'd have to pass.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Ok, what are the other demons concerning him that some draftniks have mentioned? One article talks about outside issues dropping a player and they mention the concussions and his other demons? Any clue?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Ok, what are the other demons concerning him that some draftniks have mentioned? One article talks about outside issues dropping a player and they mention the concussions and his other demons? Any clue?

My question too.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yessir.

Whatever happened to the Ranch?

The place IMO really took a dive when Mike Fisher took ownership and provided zero moderation whatsoever.

he also has the dummy Mr Mack or whatever as an administrator. I forget his exact name. Some Mavs reporter that worked with Fisher.

dude was an administrator and trolled the board with incredibly dumb threads and posts.

that’s around the time I migrated here. Never went back.

HungryLion

Reaction score
haha I was younger than you and still slapping people around these forums.. I’m just a prodigy.

Yeah. But now after all these years, you’re admitting Rack was right.

I wish he were here to see it. :laugh:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yessir.

Whatever happened to the Ranch?
Someone needed to put that place out of its misery. I haven’t even thought of that place in about 15 years.

As for Phillips, it is good to know that his quitting football was forced because of him crossing the concussion threshold, and not because he was thinking about quitting football... which plenty of people on here have accused him of. Some of them giving that as a big reason they don’t like him.

It is a big thing to me because the love of football is one of the main things that I look for in a prospect.

I’m right there with you on Phillips. I think he’s very good and has a chance to be a perineal double digit sack guy. I also agree with you (and @CATCH17 ) that his impact on the team would be among the highest of all rookies.

However, his concussions (and how they’re become easier to get as they accumulate) is such a scary thing with a first round pick - particularly a top 10 pick - that I just can’t say that’s who I want with Dallas’ first.

At 44? Yeah, all day long. I’d love for that to happen. Maybe a trade up from 44 if he slides enough? We can hope.

But at 10, both Surtain and Horn are such clean, good prospects that I just about can’t help just wanting to nail that position and just move on.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think Phillips can be great. I’m not one of those guys that hates another prospect just because I’d rather see someone else picked at 10. I think Surtain, Horn and Phillips are all really good choices for the Cowboys.

I’m all about hoping that they manage to find a way to get Phillips with their next pick though. Knowing that he has never decided to quit football just makes me want him in Dallas more. Thanks for posting this.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah. But now after all these years, you’re admitting Rack was right.

I wish he were here to see it. :laugh:

He probably was...

I respect Rack even though I smacked him around when he had the high ground..

I’ll say it for him.. Pass Rush > Coverage.. He was right.

Especially now days when corners can’t do anything but shadow the WR while they make the catch.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Someone needed to put that place out of its misery. I haven’t even thought of that place in about 15 years.

As for Phillips, it is good to know that his quitting football was forced because of him crossing the concussion threshold, and not because he was thinking about quitting football... which plenty of people on here have accused him of. Some of them giving that as a big reason they don’t like him.

It is a big thing to me because the love of football is one of the main things that I look for in a prospect.

I’m right there with you on Phillips. I think he’s very good and has a chance to be a perineal double digit sack guy. I also agree with you (and @CATCH17 ) that his impact on the team would be among the highest of all rookies.

However, his concussions (and how they’re become easier to get as they accumulate) is such a scary thing with a first round pick - particularly a top 10 pick - that I just can’t say that’s who I want with Dallas’ first.

At 44? Yeah, all day long. I’d love for that to happen. Maybe a trade up from 44 if he slides enough? We can hope.

But at 10, both Surtain and Horn are such clean, good prospects that I just about can’t help just wanting to nail that position and just move on.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t think Phillips can be great. I’m not one of those guys that hates another prospect just because I’d rather see someone else picked at 10. I think Surtain, Horn and Phillips are all really good choices for the Cowboys.

I’m all about hoping that they manage to find a way to get Phillips with their next pick though. Knowing that he has never decided to quit football just makes me want him in Dallas more. Thanks for posting this.

How many years did Frederick play? 7 or 8?

If we got 7 or 8 years out of this guy and he retired around 29-30 would that be a success for us?

If he pans out like I think he will then you would do cartwheels to have a premium pass rusher for that long.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack316

:laugh: Jk

dboys44. I was young though. Only 18
Damn man... for some reason I thought you came over here in the Great Migration from the official board when it closed down.

I didn’t know you were a long-timer here.

I saw Rack here within the last couple of years I think. He just posted once or twice though and disappeared again.

He could be argumentative, for sure.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He probably was...

I respect Rack even though I smacked him around when he had the high ground..

I’ll say it for him.. Pass Rush > Coverage.. He was right.

Especially now days when corners can’t do anything but shadow the WR while they make the catch.

Yeah the rule changes have neutered the DB’s
Effectiveness nowadays. I miss the days when they could grab and hold the receivers more.

the illegal contact and holding rules have changed the nfl so much

HungryLion

Reaction score
Damn man... for some reason I thought you came over here in the Great Migration from the official board when it closed down.

I saw Rack here within the last couple of years I think. He just posted once or twice though and disappeared again.

I used to post on CPND with the Commanders fans a lot and saw you there quite a bit.

I also posted on the old NFC East Rantatorium back in the day. With some of the CPND folks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I think the most amazing thing from all the old forum members who came to the zone is @Floatyworm still has the same username and never got banned on here and forced into using 1 million different variations of floadyworm.

Whag even is a floatyworm? It sound like some fishing tackle like a banjo minnow.