Context: Phillips Forced Retirement

Western

Reaction score
“The proof is in the pudding,” said Phillips of proving doubters wrong. “I think that my play on the field obviously showed. I didn’t miss a snap. I didn’t miss a game, didn’t miss a workout, didn’t miss anything. If you watched the Pro Day, you saw that wrist was still working, and obviously, I’m healthy. I don’t think it’s a risk at all. We play a dangerous and violent game, so obviously, people get hurt, but I wouldn’t be here today if I was a risk..everybody’s path to success isn’t linear at all..there’s ups and downs. All of that really just gave me a better look at everything. It made me have this chip on my shoulder. It gave me a deeper appreciation for what this game is.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0210329-avgvhth4v5hbvajpsikqccbgiy-story.html

Defensive end Jaelan Phillips said after Monday’s University of Miami Pro Day that he plays with his “hair on fire” — and has fun doing it. “Just turn on my tape. I love football, man. I love going out there and putting my talents on display.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article250278955.html

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it actually does matter how a guy gets injured if you’re going to call him injury prone.

Shawn Springs infamously had chronically bad hamstrings that plagued him most of his career. Playing football actually put him at risk for the injury flaring up.

Phillips’ concussion issues are real, but I’m not going to knock a guy for getting hit riding a moped and breaking his wrist.
It's going to come down to his medicals, if we see him still there after rd 1, you know teams have taken him off their boards.

visionary

Reaction score
He probably was...

I respect Rack even though I smacked him around when he had the high ground..

I’ll say it for him.. Pass Rush > Coverage.. He was right.

Especially now days when corners can’t do anything but shadow the WR while they make the catch.

Pass rush has always been and will always be more important than coverage

Even in this draft I’d take Parsons over either CB if he checks out from a mental and maturity standpoint. I know it’s not a popular opinion but Parsons has the upside to be a elite LB who I think will impact the game much more than any CB will

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pass rush has always been and will always be more important than coverage

Even in this draft I’d take Parsons over either CB if he checks out from a mental and maturity standpoint. I know it’s not a popular opinion but Parsons has the upside to be a elite LB who I think will impact the game much more than any CB will

Look into some of the hazing stuff that guy did.

I mean it's pretty wild.

visionary

Reaction score
Look into some of the hazing stuff that guy did.

I mean it's pretty wild.

that’s why I said he needs to check out from a maturity standpoint but based on talent alone his ceiling is elite . Someone will get a great LB

rambo2

Reaction score
Yea, you booked it out of the Ranch way before it really went downhill with Mike/new admins. Back when RoyP actually posted/looked like he cared about the forum lol.

Back to the topic at hand, yea at 10 Phillips is too risky. Trade up from 44 or trade down from 10 and I'll be on board.
I'd hate for Phillips to go to the Giants at 11. I think that he goes between 11 and 26.

btcutter

Reaction score
Parsons at 10 and a corner in the 2nd would be incredible.

Ideally for me is trade down into 15-20 range for Parson or Phillips. Trade extra 2nd and 3rd back for TCU s Trevon moehrig if he's still there at end of 1st. Use 2nd second rounder on a CB.

LB in the 3rd should get good value.

Creeper

Reaction score
We haven't had enough of LVE that we would take another player who could potentially be in the training room more than on the field? Sean Lee was an all-pro LB when he was able to play, but no player is all-anything other than maybe all whirlpool bath, if he cannot dress on game day. 10 is too rich for him. I say that while arguing Farley might be a lesser risk at around 15. Concussions are cumulative. Plus the NFL has protocols that are outside the team's authority. If he get knocked in the head, the league could force him to sit for multiple games. I'd rather have a guy who is under the control of my team doctors rather than Roger Goodell's flying monkeys.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
It won’t happen but I’d take him in the mid to bottom of the 2nd in a move up with our picks.

We need guys who are going to play and start at a high level for a rookie with our 1st 2 picks.

Not durability risks. That being said, Phillips talent could not be overlooked in such a selection drop should occur because of the durability questions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ideally for me is trade down into 15-20 range for Parson or Phillips. Trade extra 2nd and 3rd back for TCU s Trevon moehrig if he's still there at end of 1st. Use 2nd second rounder on a CB.

LB in the 3rd should get good value.

I would never pick a guy one concussion away from retiring again. You want a pass rusher, take Parsons. He will stop the run and be the perfect blitzer on 3rd down.