CFZ Contract Aside, doesn't it Make More Sense for Zeke to Come After Pollard?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why not use Pollard to wear teams down before we smash them with Zeke's fresh legs? Flip the script a little. In the past, we've brought in Pollard for clean up duty. I would like to see Zeke come in after Pollard has had 10-12 carries. Or specifically in the redzone.

Because Pollard is not a "wear teams down" back.
Zeke has more muscle, pounds and thickness than Pollard does.
You use Zeke to wear teams down, then you insert Pollard when defenses are tired of tackling Zeke and then, boom, Pollard takes it the distance.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
With everyone talking about Pollard getting more carries and being more involved, doesn't it make more sense for Zeke to come in after Pollard?

Why not use Pollard to wear teams down before we smash them with Zeke's fresh legs? Flip the script a little. In the past, we've brought in Pollard for clean up duty. I would like to see Zeke come in after Pollard has had 10-12 carries. Or specifically in the redzone.

This doesn't have to be all the time.

But given that both of our backs can legitimately start for us, I don't see why it's necessary to always start with Zeke.

I'm sure there are a few times they've started the game with Pollard, but I'm talking about getting momentum going for several series and then bringing in Zeke. I think it makes more sense to roll with Zeke inside the redzone as well, since he's a more powerful back.

Does anyone else think we should change the strategy and stop thinking along such traditional lines?

I get what they're trying to do, but I just think Zeke would be harder to handle if he came in on fresh legs. I think we'd see his YPC average rise, while Pollard's would likely decrease. But overall, I think this strategy would work better against some teams.

Also, not knowing who we'll start makes us slightly more difficult to prepare for, so this could change from week-to-week.

I'm a big Kellen Moore fan, and I know it's not all in his control, but I would like to see him push for this approach for some games.

Sorry but this premise defies logic. Pollard's running style does not wear defenses down. His is an avoidance style while Zeke's is a banging, punishing style. Either can be effective but obviously in different ways. Zeke also starts every game with "fresh legs" and obviously gradually lose some of that as the game wears on. Typically most backs become more instinctive once they work up a good lather and actually run better then. Pollard's style is just sort of go 100 mph to some daylight.. which is great.. so long as there is some daylight.. When there is no daylight he gets dropped for losses more often than does Zeke. Bringing him in after the defense has had to deal with Zeke also maximizes his quickness advantage. We have seen defenders actually square up and put their head down preparing for a collision not realizing that it's Pollard and not Zeke and we watched Pollard run right past them untouched. That strategy doesn't work in reverse. If a defense gets used to chasing the scatback it's actually a relief to bring in the banger. So you'd be doing them a favor to employ this strategy. I know there is no 100% right answer to any of this.. but those are my thoughts.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Pollard is not a "wear teams down" back.
Zeke has more muscle, pounds and thickness than Pollard does.
You use Zeke to wear teams down, then you insert Pollard when defenses are tired of tackling Zeke and then, boom, Pollard takes it the distance.
That's a tried and true success formula.

Some people think it's makes Tony a better back....since they don't like Zeke. "Oh look...Tony can get 20 yards or even take it to the house! HE'S BETTER, SEE! Told ya!"

:facepalm:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry but this premise defies logic. Pollard's running style does not wear defenses down. His is an avoidance style while Zeke's is a banging, punishing style. Either can be effective but obviously in different ways. Zeke also starts every game with "fresh legs" and obviously gradually lose some of that as the game wears on. Typically most backs become more instinctive once they work up a good lather and actually run better then. Pollard's style is just sort of go 100 mph to some daylight.. which is great.. so long as there is some daylight.. When there is no daylight he gets dropped for losses more often than does Zeke. Bringing him in after the defense has had to deal with Zeke also maximizes his quickness advantage. We have seen defenders actually square up and put their head down preparing for a collision not realizing that it's Pollard and not Zeke and we watched Pollard run right past them untouched. That strategy doesn't work in reverse. If a defense gets used to chasing the scatback it's actually a relief to bring in the banger. So you'd be doing them a favor to employ this strategy. I know there is no 100% right answer to any of this.. but those are my thoughts.
This is a tried and true method. Thunder and lightening. We shouldn't be fighting about all this it's how it's done.

We have a great 1-2 punch and all we can do is bicker?

Fix the o-line and commit to a REAL NFL NFC East run game.

Watch these two blow em up.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Sure it makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is having a player your paying $12.4 million behind a guy only making $796 per season. o_O

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Call me crazy all you want but most agree with my assessment:

Here is a good list: 2022 NFL Running Back Rankings and Tiers | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

I would actually put a handful of other young backs in front of Zeke. Pollard as well.

"zeke still has something left in the tank if you have a great line"

Is this really your rally cry for a back costing you 18 million a year now? There is no justification with that salary. Zeke should be one back in a 3 RB rotation at this point in his career getting paid 3 or 4 million tops if that.

He has to be cut after this season and he will be cut. He would have been cut before this season had it been economically possible.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Zeke is a top back, a top back who could run rampant on a tired defense in the 2nd half, and could really extend his YPC this way, and perhaps even his career.

In turn, it'd work out better for the team instead of focusing the plays towards in-game success instead of our current strategy where we call plays based on how much we paid Zeke.

That's the other thing with this ownership, they don't go with the hot hand. They always go back to feeding the guys they decided to pay, because they think this makes them look smart if they win. The only problem is . . . they don't win.

This isn't an attack on Zeke.. stop making it into something it's not.

What your saying has good sense, have Pollard run the defense all over the place and then have Zeke come in and pound a tired defense...yes and if your looking at it without player feelings its a sound plan.

Otis313

Reaction score
Call me crazy all you want but most agree with my assessment:

Here is a good list: 2022 NFL Running Back Rankings and Tiers | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

I would actually put a handful of other young backs in front of Zeke. Pollard as well.

"zeke still has something left in the tank if you have a great line"

Is this really your rally cry for a back costing you 18 million a year now? There is no justification with that salary. Zeke should be one back in a 3 RB rotation at this point in his career getting paid 3 or 4 million tops if that.

He has to be cut after this season and he will be cut. He would have been cut before this season had it been economically possible.
Did you run this by Jerry?
It sounds like you have all the answers.
No doubting Zeke has a lot of miles under him but he certainly isn’t garbage like you are constantly saying.
I don’t give a rats *** less what any football player makes, is given. As far as I’m concerned I think they are all way over payed to play a game. If you can get it, more power to you. The billionaire owners make it work and are raking in money still.
Do you worry so much about what people are making at where you are employed? No control over it so why let it eat you up inside?
Your genuine hatred for Zeke and like some over Dak has got you and others way off course as a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. They are what we got as players and until you convince Jerry of your super plan you will have to see Zeke’s mug and Dak as the QB for the Dallas Cowboys for YEARS TO COME.
Good luck with that!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What your saying has good sense, have Pollard run the defense all over the place and then have Zeke come in and pound a tired defense...yes and if your looking at it without player feelings its a sound plan.
So tony pollard has never been a #1 rb ever.....and your great plan is to let him bash fresh defenses?

So okay then....super bowl bound.

blueblood70

Reaction score
With everyone talking about Pollard getting more carries and being more involved, doesn't it make more sense for Zeke to come in after Pollard?

This doesn't have to be all the time.

But given that both of our backs can legitimately start for us, I don't see why it's necessary to always start with Zeke.

I'm sure there are a few times they've started the game with Pollard, but I'm talking about getting momentum going for several series and then bringing in Zeke. I think it makes more sense to roll with Zeke inside the redzone as well, since he's a more powerful back.

Does anyone else think we should change the strategy and stop thinking along such traditional lines?

I get what they're trying to do, but I just think Zeke would be harder to handle if he came in on fresh legs. I think we'd see his YPC average rise, while Pollard's would likely decrease. But overall, I think this strategy would work better against some teams.

Also, not knowing who we'll start makes us slightly more difficult to prepare for, so this could change from week-to-week.

I'm a big Kellen Moore fan, and I know it's not all in his control, but I would like to see him push for this approach for some games.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEE

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubting Zeke has a lot of miles under him but he certainly isn’t garbage like you are constantly saying.
I don’t give a rats *** less what any football player makes, is given. As far as I’m concerned I think they are all way over payed to play a game. If you can get it, more power to you. The billionaire owners make it work and are raking in money still.
Do you worry so much about what people are making at where you are employed? No control over it so why let it eat you up inside?
Your genuine hatred for Zeke and like some over Dak has got you and others way off course as a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. They are what we got as players and until you convince Jerry of your super plan you will have to see Zeke’s mug and Dak as the QB for the Dallas Cowboys for YEARS TO COME.
Good luck with that!
Roy has always hated zeke from the get go....like he's a hurt bama fan. Just the other day hes mocking us for wanting to give zeke 20 carries yielding 60 yards.
Um excuse me zeke has 4.5 career average...stop being so stupid.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Roy has always hated zeke from the get go....like he's a hurt bama fan. Just the other day hes mocking us for wanting to give zeke 20 carries yielding 60 yards.
Um excuse me zeke has 4.5 career average...stop being so stupid.

As Ron White says.. this cannot be fixed.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So tony pollard has never been a #1 rb ever.....and your great plan is to let him bash fresh defenses?

So okay then....super bowl bound.

No my idea is for them to chase him all over the field for a couple series and then bring Zeke in to pound a tired defense...if you look back on how 2 headed RB schools have worked "Thunder and Lightning etc etc) this is generally how they work...the carries break down how they break down but generally you move a defense side to side with your speed and when that Dline is tired you bring in the battering ram to go right through them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No my idea is for them to chase him all over the field for a couple series and then bring Zeke in to pound a tired defense...if you look back on how 2 headed RB schools have worked "Thunder and Lightning etc etc) this is generally how they work...the carries break down how they break down but generally you move a defense side to side with your speed and when that Dline is tired you bring in the battering ram to go right through them.

Here's the problem with your logic. Defensive linemen generally do not chase sideline to sideline. When run off tackle to wide their responsibility is typically to maintain their gaps and lanes so as to guard against cutbacks and reverses. They can literally stand there and handfight with offensive linemen and fulfill their assignments. On the other hand when you come at them between the tackles their responsibility is to take on the blockers, don't give any ground and even try to penetrate AND try to tackle this hoss of a running back coming straight at them. That takes 10X the energy as does your scenario. Even if you run Pollard between the tackles, you are again doing the defensive line a favor by asking them to tackle the less powerful and punishing back first.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay.....we disagree how it works.. i believe i have history on my side.....but....is what it is.

Change of pace tailback.....comes in when everyone is tired for maximum effect.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good luck with that!

Garbage? So now you have to exaggerate to make a point? I have Zeke somewhere from 15-20th in the NFL as far as backs. Not even close to worth 18 million. He is hurting the team. If that opinion bothers you or makes you cry its not my concern. The recent list I showed you had him at 15.

Love Dak as the QB. Zeke as the RB will come to end in a year. Thats when we probably start our legitimate window to become a contender when his money can be used for another Olineman and we draft better young back in the draft.

Will you miss your slow and plodding over the hill and overpaid drunken Ewok? :muttley:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here's the problem with your logic. Defensive linemen generally do not chase sideline to sideline. When run off tackle to wide their responsibility is typically to maintain their gaps and lanes so as to guard against cutbacks and reverses. They can literally stand there and handfight with offensive linemen and fulfill their assignments. On the other hand when you come at them between the tackles their responsibility is to take on the blockers, don't give any ground and even try to penetrate AND try to tackle this hoss of a running back coming straight at them. That takes 10X the energy as does your scenario. Even if you run Pollard between the tackles, you are again doing the defensive line a favor by asking them to tackle the less powerful and punishing back first.

They have your hero at a generous 15. And the backs you said were worse then Zeke.........kamara and McCaffrey they have far ahead of the slow and plodding Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good luck with that!

"Duh.............salary doesnt matter"

Hard to have a rational conversation with a casual fan that doesnt even factor in salary to the analysis.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

They do move side to side on tosses and such again you want your finisher on tired defenses after they chase your speed for a while, again, his concept has been done and worked. Your saying just use Pollard as a change of pace back for a couple series then thats a diferent plan, that would mean Zeke get 60%-70% of carries and Pollard spells him.