Contract/Cap trouble on the horizon?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So when you draft players, you hope they work out and give you a reason to give them that second contract. But what happens when it works out in Spades? Dak's people are smiling big time right now. He demanded a 4 year deal last contract specifically for the scenario that has developed.

QB pay played out as they wanted. Burrow got paid, Mahomes, Herbert.... they all struck gold. Now Dak is having possibly his best season ever. If Dak continues playing at this level what is his extension going to look like? Im thinking it would look like burrow at the minimum 5 year 275 million? Dak will be 31 years old after the 24 season when that deal expires, so Im guessing they will not want a 4 year deal, but will want to maximize this current contract as it is likely his last when he will hold all the bargaining power, no? Do they go for a 5 year 300 million deal?

Right in there with Dak you now have Cee Dee about to get paid. Whats his deal gonna look like? Then right behind that we got Parsons deal coming and we all know that is gonna likely be the highest paid defensive contract in history.

Oh.... at one point I was positive this was Tyron Smith's last season in Dallas. Uhm.... have you all been paying attention to what he is doing? Isnt he in the last year of his current deal? If he finishes the season actually on the field, we will give him another contract.

At what point do these contracts break the camels back?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So when you draft players, you hope they work out and give you a reason to give them that second contract. But what happens when it works out in Spades? Dak's people are smiling big time right now. He demanded a 4 year deal last contract specifically for the scenario that has developed.

QB pay played out as they wanted. Burrow got paid, Mahomes, Herbert.... they all struck gold. Now Dak is having possibly his best season ever. If Dak continues playing at this level what is his extension going to look like? Im thinking it would look like burrow at the minimum 5 year 275 million? Dak will be 31 years old after the 24 season when that deal expires, so Im guessing they will not want a 4 year deal, but will want to maximize this current contract as it is likely his last when he will hold all the bargaining power, no? Do they go for a 5 year 300 million deal?

Right in there with Dak you now have Cee Dee about to get paid. Whats his deal gonna look like? Then right behind that we got Parsons deal coming and we all know that is gonna likely be the highest paid defensive contract in history.

Oh.... at one point I was positive this was Tyron Smith's last season in Dallas. Uhm.... have you all been paying attention to what he is doing? Isnt he in the last year of his current deal? If he finishes the season actually on the field, we will give him another contract.

I don't think he is going to get something quite that large. he still has two more years on the contract, so its an extension. perhaps that average, but a way for us to get out of it in 3,4 years.

Flamma

Reaction score

That's a great question. Who do you pay? You got Bell, Bland, Parsons, Lamb, and of course Dak. That's on the GM. Players like Tyron and DLaw should be gone by the time you have big cap hits on the players I mentioned. It's a balancing act. Then we have the cap that is supposed to be much higher. We'll see how it works out.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I get your Dak concern but to maximize his contract he will have to win in the playoffs. If the Cowboys go out early again, it won’t even matter.

exciter

Reaction score
People here look at the jarbled mess Philadelphia has made of its cap with millions with multiple players prorated into years long after the contract is up and fawn over its brilliance. I’m not going to stress over Dak’s contract… he’s earned every penny he gets!!

blueblood70

Reaction score

Correct there's some have said below kicking the can down the road the way you structure contracts and the cat going up yearly I'm not worried about it they'll sign who they think needs to be signed and you're forgetting Deron bland now gonna wanna get in the mix and we just paid some of our safeties and Trayvon diggs so yeah we got some big contracts coming up

as far as Prescott he played this good pretty much every year I I don't know what people's problem are with saying now he's playing his best ball he had 37 touchdowns only 10 interceptions in like 4800 yards in 2021... Last year when he came back from the broken hand did he not have our team playing just like this for about six or seven games in a row we were tops and scoring red zone scoring third down percentage 36ppg?? How is this any different people wanna call Prescott bad because this summer the interceptions last year but he also had 25 touchdowns in that same shortened season and played really well against Tampa Bay in the playoffs this is just more who Prescott always been it's not his fault you can't win in the playoffs when your offensive line your run game and some other things don't fall into place like having your offensive line have 11 penalties in the game, literally not on him.. I know he hasn't looked his best in the playoffs but neither has the rest of the team that's the problem everyone needs a good team around them ask Brock Purdy when he lost a few of his players ask the Philadelphia Eagles when they lose some of their key players hell I've seen hurts look like a completely different guy without their right tackle in there you know their Hall of Fame right tackle missing one guy how it affects the team well this is what we've been going through in the playoffs..
But but again I don't see much difference in Prescott now this year or last year or the year before he was playing this great in 2020 before he broke his ankle didn't have a defense but do you remember the yards and points that he was putting up in 2020 prior to his ankle getting broke?? didn't really have a defense in 2021 either, I mean at times our defense is looking sketchy right now look at the time of possession and some of these long drives people going for it in Carolina and Washington like just putting up yards it looks like rod marinelli's defense now that just gets more turnovers they're boom or bust...​
So like many other quarterbacks on many other good teams you have to have a team play their best as well in order for you to show your best it's kind of hard without a run game and an offensive line and that is why we've been losing these playoff games..​
I guess my shorter point is Prescott's been up due for another contract and it's not just the way he's playing this year it's the way he's always played... No quarterbacks perfect no one's going to have every game where you're on point and playing at this level but he's had a stretch of games like this every single year in his career for the most part... I mean when you win 11 games in a row as a rookie and win rookie of the year and play very good against the Packers in the playoff game how is that not some of his best football ever??​
There are gonna be people that say Prescott doesn't deserve this contract but when you look at Daniel Jones deal and then all these guys you talk about that got paid what have they done in the playoffs outside of Patrick mahomes the five new contracts that's happened in the last two years what have they really done in the playoffs or have they won a Super Bowl or are they staying healthy I mean exactly how does that really come into the debate that should not be part of the debate is do you want to keep Prescott is he the best bet for us or do you want to start over and be bad because that's probably the outlook if you get rid of Prescott...​
That is the only question should be is Prescott our best option going forward or does this team ready to rebuild on offense?? window staying open for few more years, than keep him but if this looks liek the best we can do and not make a NFCCG again. Who knows? only the Jonses know and they will decide...​
If I'm deck why not just go to another team? The disrespect he gets around the fan base it's in it's insane underappreciated top ten quarterback that just gets hated on constantly he would instantly be an upgrade to 16 other teams in this league if not more that need a quarterback anyway... Yeah, he would instantly get a job in an hour.... And the teams that can afford it probably will pay him the market money to get him for a few years...​

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
This is what’s wrong with the salary cap. Good drafting teams should not be handcuffed like this. Only a percentage of any new contracts for a player that you drafted should count towards the cap. Teams should have a slight advantage to resign their own talent vs. a poor drafting team.

conner01

Reaction score
They don’t.

Cap is always going up and you always kick the can down the line.

Saints have been over for years. Browns are 84 million over next year already.
And you stagger the big hit. It won’t cost you the elite guys but I can cost you good players who are big contributors. The key is keep drafting well so you can over come the guys you lose

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is what’s wrong with the salary cap. Good drafting teams should not be handcuffed like this. Only a percentage of any new contracts for a player that you drafted should count towards the cap. Teams should have a slight advantage to resign their own talent vs. a poor drafting team.
Well that's what a hard cap means,

I mean you got the NBA that's got a moving liability type soft cap where you can pay if you go over your cap with luxury tax stuff at least that's how I understand it, they do allow you to pay more for your players though than other teams can offer which makes that player want to stay versus leave because you can offer them more money to stay versus other teams can steal you away... I'm not sure the NFL is ready for a cap like that I mean they like having a hard cap...

There are teams in cap hill right now that still signing players I mean it's not like the Eagles and the Rams and all those teams are being hindered much and if you really want to and you structure the contracts properly you can put yourself into cap hell and still function as a team and even be competitive.. I know the Rams had to take a step back but the Eagles seem to know how to do it I don't think our owner wants to put himself in that kind of ram situation, but I believe he might have to because how can you let some of these players leave ie Bland, cd, parsons, and redoing dak possibly.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don't think he is going to get something quite that large. he still has two more years on the contract, so its an extension. perhaps that average, but a way for us to get out of it in 3,4 years.
From what I saw, his deal is over after the 24 season.... next year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I get your Dak concern but to maximize his contract he will have to win in the playoffs. If the Cowboys go out early again, it won’t even matter.
even if they do exit in the divisional rd, if Dak finishes like hes playing now, that is gonna be a 5 year 275+ million dollar deal.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

No worries !!!!
We have professionals running our front office, so all is well....
Move along, nothing to see here.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
.​
If I'm deck why not just go to another team? The disrespect he gets around the fan base it's in it's insane underappreciated top ten quarterback that just gets hated on constantly he would instantly be an upgrade to 16 other teams in this league if not more that need a quarterback anyway... Yeah, he would instantly get a job in an hour.... And the teams that can afford it probably will pay him the market money to get him for a few years...​
Because Dak gets it. He understands what it means to be the qb with the star on the helmet. Dak isnt and NEVER has been disrespected inside the star.... quite the opposite actually. Dak lives in the Dallas area, hes been here his entire career.... he is going nowhere. This isnt a thread to bash his salary, as his current 160 million dollar 4 year deal is a BARGAIN. Do we start over if we exit early? Not a chance in hell. Nobody wants to play the QB lottery when you already have a qb playing as Dak has been playing.

Bland is a 5th rd pick. So I am assuming his deal is a 4 year rookie contract. He is in year 2. They wont look to extend him until after next season....... the same time you will need to be doing Parsons.
Tyron may have just worked himself into another deal as he is playing LIGHTS OUT again.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
actually it runs through 2026, but I think the last two years are voidable. it was designed for him to get a redo next year, since his cap hit is 59M
he has money running through 26, but his deal deos not.

The 2024 season marks the end of Prescott's four-year, $160 million contract he signed in the 2021 offseason. That deal came together after nearly two years of negotiating and a franchise tag for the former fourth-round pick.1 day ago

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Cap is a myth
no it isnt... you can always push money down the road, but make no mistake, those decisions to push money down the road means you get rid of other players youd like to keep.... just like the Iggles did this off season losing how many starters from last year?

You think the Vhiefs let T Hill walk because the cap is a myth or his salary would crush their cap along with Mahomes deal????