Convince me Payton is that much better than McCarthy

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Has there ever been a HC win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams? Just based on that history, I don't want either of them

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Ill tell you what the difference is or was. McCarthy's scheme went stale and he never adjusted. Ultimately he failed in GB. That hasnt happened with Payton.

However that also doesnt mean that McCarthy hasnt grown from that. Alot has been said about changes he has made in his year off.

As far as accomplishments, you really cant argue that his accomplishments arent comparable.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I am really starting to believe McCarthy will be the next HC. Meyer is not going to coach in the NFL if his health is still a concern, Riley and Rhule will stay where they are. There are some intriguing coordinators, but Jerry is likely not seeing enough splash from hiring any of those guys.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s not. Payton is careless and over rated. If he were the coach of the Cowboys and made half the reckless calls he does as the coach of the Saints he would be torched by the fans and media (rightfully so). Anyone see him get bailed out by the false start flag while calling an unnecessary fake punt on his own 35 today?

Agreed.

Payton gets too much "love" on this board.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
McCarthy lost his team and his HOF QB’s respect. AFAIK Payton and Brees are still good with each other. I would also say the Saints play in a tougher division over the time frame. Also, as good as Brees is he’s not Aaron Rodgers. Winning one SB with Brees is excusable. Not doing more with Rodgers is not IMO. But as far as records go, yeah they are essentially the same.

loublue22

Reaction score
The Brees/Payton combo is seen more as a collaborative effort while the perception is more that Rodgers made McCarthy. This is due to Rodgers overwhelming physical talent, while Brees is barely 6 feet with an average arm.

Nav22

Reaction score
All you have to know is that McCarthy was a JOKE in his final 2 years. 11-16-1 record. Terrible offense despite having Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Jones has been a flat-out stud since his rookie year in 2017. McCarthy stupidly refused to let Jones carry the load in 2017-18.

Aaron Rodgers isn’t what he used to be. Aaron Jones is NOW carrying the load.... and that’s why Green Bay went 13-3 with their rookie head coach.

It wasn’t rocket science. I was born in Wisconsin, and every Packers fan I know (a lot of them) has been SCREAMING for more Aaron Jones since 2017.

But McCarthy “knew better”. He’s garbage.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
All you have to know is that McCarthy was a JOKE in his final 2 years. 11-16-1 record. Terrible offense despite having Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Jones has been a flat-out stud since his rookie year in 2017. McCarthy stupidly refused to let Jones carry the load in 2017-18.

Aaron Rodgers isn’t what he used to be. Aaron Jones is NOW carrying the load.... and that’s why Green Bay went 13-3 with their rookie head coach.

It wasn’t rocket science. I was born in Wisconsin, and every Packers fan I know (a lot of them) has been SCREAMING for more Aaron Jones since 2017.

But McCarthy “knew better”. He’s garbage.
1 year out of 13 makes him garbage?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
McCarthy lost his team and his HOF QB’s respect. AFAIK Payton and Brees are still good with each other. I would also say the Saints play in a tougher division over the time frame. Also, as good as Brees is he’s not Aaron Rodgers. Winning one SB with Brees is excusable. Not doing more with Rodgers is not IMO. But as far as records go, yeah they are essentially the same.
I disagree

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
....Rodgers is about as much of a choker. Brees has, at the very least, beat winning teams while trailing. Rodgers record there is terrible.

McCarthy is getting way too much crap on this board and most of it is baseless. If you want Dak to take the next step, you bring in McCarthy.
I bring up McCarthy's failure at the end of his GB tenure alot. However that doesn't necessarily have to be a negative either. Could wind up a positive depending in what he learned from it.

Billicheck tried the duel HC/DC role in Cleveland and it failed. He succeeded in NE when he turned it over to Crennell and took more of a CEO role to

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If a person would give up a 1st to take Payton over just taking McCarthy they are likely not very bright.

Payton has been above average to good and once great. So was McCarthy.
I'd probably prefer Payton if both were free agents but Payton is not and won't be.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've always been in the minority in thinking Payton isn't all that. I still think the onside kick in the super bowl they won was stupid.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Brees/Payton combo is seen more as a collaborative effort while the perception is more that Rodgers made McCarthy. This is due to Rodgers overwhelming physical talent, while Brees is barely 6 feet with an average arm.

Brees may not be the most physically imposing quarterback. But he has always been a stud. He was a stud at Purdue. Probably the best Big 10 QB ever.

Brees was the first pick of the second round and only fell that far because of his height.

The point is. It’s not like Brees became a success out of nowhere. He was an amazing college QB, and a high draft pick. He wasn’t some diamond in the rough.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The primary difference is that Payton is more likely to keep Jerry from influencing football decisions. He kept Benson and his kids out of the football operations.

McCarthy gave up play calling at the insistence of the GM...
Jerry isn't giving Payton operational control. Not based off 1 SB win a decade ago.
He might give him more leeway in selecting his staff and such but again it doesn't really matter because Stephen is the guy who will call the shots longer term.

The McClay as GM, Stephen as Team President stuff isn't optional to any Coach not even Belichek.
Jerry isn't handing over control outside the "family".