Convince me Payton is that much better than McCarthy

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anytime you are the coach of a HOF QB for 10 years or so and only have 1 SB appearance I can't honestly say your better than Garrett.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The problem for McCarthy was that as the talent drained, he failed to innovate. His scheme went stale and he didn't adapt. As one personnel man puts it, McCarthy "got full off his own juice." He believed his system—not the Packers' absurd amount of talent—was the foundation for the offensive success. But raw rookies cannot bust free one-on-one like, say, Jennings or Nelson or Jones.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay.amp.html
He admitted that he went away from motions, shifts and different personnel groupings and with time off has learned from it

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
All you have to know is that McCarthy was a JOKE in his final 2 years. 11-16-1 record. Terrible offense despite having Aaron Rodgers.

Aaron Jones has been a flat-out stud since his rookie year in 2017. McCarthy stupidly refused to let Jones carry the load in 2017-18.

Aaron Rodgers isn’t what he used to be. Aaron Jones is NOW carrying the load.... and that’s why Green Bay went 13-3 with their rookie head coach.

I think this is why he's using part of his interview to convince GMs/owners he's changed. It appears he got lazy and complacent his last 2-3 years in GB but he still has a strong resume. If he hired I'd certainly either Kitna or Moore retained as a buffer for Dak.

It wasn’t rocket science. I was born in Wisconsin, and every Packers fan I know (a lot of them) has been SCREAMING for more Aaron Jones since 2017.

But McCarthy “knew better”. He’s garbage.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
He's conditioning us for this. He's not a far cry from Mickey.

Machota is a Lions fan and really is nothing like Mickey if anything is giving the former Packers coach some props because they were beating the stuffing out of his Lions for years.

khiladi

Reaction score
You can’t. Payton’s SB is over a decade ago, he’s had a generational qb, although Brees worries more about stats than wins.

maybe the Saints can get another rule change next year to help them out

That rule change didn’t help them. That was the most useless rule change in the league.

and the reason the rule change happened was because the Saints got robbed like we got robbed against GB.

khiladi

Reaction score
Let’s be real to with Brees. He is SHORT, so if one can get some pressure up the middle, he struggles, despite all his numbers. This happens a lot in the play-offs.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t. Payton’s SB is over a decade ago, he’s had a generational qb, although Brees worries more about stats than wins.

maybe the Saints can get another rule change next year to help them out
That’s odd to say about a QB who has won as much as he has, and who has willingly accepted throwing less as Kamara, Ingram and Murray have taken bigger roles in the offense.

khiladi

Reaction score
i can’t personally, but one thing i will say maybe in defense of payton is that drew brees is overrated and a playoff choker that no one ever talks about.

I wouldn’t say he’s a choker. Again, he’s short and struggles when a good defense can get a little bit of push up the middle. What makes Brees a legend is that despite this, he’s put up these numbers.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Payton was on the verge of being run out of town after three straight 7-9 seasons before Loomis drafted Thomas and Kamara in back-to-back years. And now that he has them, he can't get out of the wild card round?
payton is a good coach. i just don't think he's a great one. overall i just don't get the infatuation some have over him.

khiladi

Reaction score
I bring up McCarthy's failure at the end of his GB tenure alot. However that doesn't necessarily have to be a negative either. Could wind up a positive depending in what he learned from it.

Billicheck tried the duel HC/DC role in Cleveland and it failed. He succeeded in NE when he turned it over to Crennell and took more of a CEO role to

Wrong..

BB in pre-modern free agency improved his team each year, up to 11-5 with no QB, meaning Jimmy Johnson, Dallas level pace of team turn around. Then he started off 3-1 and the “rumors” started that the Browns were leaving and the state of the personnel and franchise was left in uncertainty and then the rumor was officially confirmed. The owner was doing everything in his power to justify the move back to Baltimore.

Once the season was over, BB was fired.

khiladi

Reaction score
Also, to point out about Brees versus Rodgers, particularly as it relates to being short and Brees gets into trouble when the interior faces issues, Brees has thrown 237 INTs while Rodgers has thrown 84 INTs.

The TD-INT ratings for Brees is LESS than 3:1 while for Rodgers, it’s well OVER 4:1 though their careers.

and TOs are a killer in the play-offs.

Last edited:

Johnny23

Reaction score
Anytime you are the coach of a HOF QB for 10 years or so and only have 1 SB appearance I can't honestly say your better than Garrett.
So Don Shula isn't better than Garrett? C'mon man.

That's just absurd.

I think Payton's slightly overrated and McCarthy has his issues but I would take them over Garrett. I prefer coaches with skin in the NFL game.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I would be very happy with Mike McCarthy. He is a proven winner & would command respect of the locker-room. I think Cowboys have a very solid core group of players. This is not a rebuild team. They just need a leader that knows what he is doing.

khiladi

Reaction score
And winning SBs is no easy anyways. The most you can ask for is to be highly competitive year in and year our, particularly come play-off time.

Pete Carroll also has one SB. The only HC to have more than 1 is Bill Bellichek. That man has six. Oh yeah and Harbaugh, who has 2. He’s the guy the Ravens messed up with when they didn’t get Garrett. Whose laughing now Ravens fans?

khiladi

Reaction score
You're stupid then. Romo makes a SB with an elite coach so can Prescott.

I guess Tomlin and Carroll are barely better than Garrett? One couldn't reign in his QB from having a SB collapse and the other didn't run it on the goal line. Garrett is a trash coach...bottom 5 status. :lmao2:

Garrett has rarely been competitive and the only reason we were ever competitive is because Jerry effectively relegated the bum to a walk around HC position.

He is NOTHING like the above mentioned coaches.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're stupid then. Romo makes a SB with an elite coach so can Prescott.

I guess Tomlin and Carroll are barely better than Garrett? One couldn't reign in his QB from having a SB collapse and the other didn't run it on the goal line. Garrett is a trash coach...bottom 5 status. :lmao2:

Tomlin is over rated. Hof QB, wr, RB and like the rest of them he gets lucky once. He also came into a good situation. You can hate Garrett all you want but there's not much difference between alot of these coaches including Garrett. It takes more than the HC, you need a good staff and our staff sucks because Jerry hires friends not the best coaches. We have rarely had a good to great defense and a good QB. And dont even compare Dak to Brees, Rodgers etc.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So Don Shula isn't better than Garrett? C'mon man.

That's just absurd.

I think Payton's slightly overrated and McCarthy has his issues but I would take them over Garrett. I prefer coaches with skin in the NFL game.

No they aren't necessarily better. Peyton has a ton more control than Garrett with a HOF QB and won a SB many years ago. Problem is many people assume Peyton or whomever would have that same authority here but Jerry has proven they will not.

Heck mcCarthy is hired and he must keep Moore as OC.