News: Cooper and Byron Jones probably gone

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-amari-cooper-and-byron-jones-in-free-agency/

Looks like Amari's agent has refused to negotiate and is heck bent on hitting the open market. Same with Byron Jones. Its also looking more and more likely the cowboys will use the franchise tag on Dak.
we lose Amari and we in big trouble...we can lose Jones and not be in near the trouble as losing Cooper....we gave big bucks to Tank and Zeke and some to Smith and Collins....how is that working out?...i posted a thing a few months ago that proves like everytime you pay elite money the people are not ever worth it after that...its a trap ...other than your QB I would be careful who i pay...look patriots...hardly anyone gets big bucks there....draft real good and trade well and pick up decent free agents.....and pay your QB....now we are locked into Tank and Zeke...tank has 5 sacks with 4 games left...Zeke has not broken a 1000 and we are on game 13...Dak has done a lot better overall..but after we pay him big bucks he will go into toilet ....Goff and Wentz got the big bucks and they are playing like crap....the monster DE the bears paid for from Raiders only has 4.5 sacks and he got mega bucks...not worth it to me

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hard to care at this point honestly..

We aren’t very good with them and they’re cheap now.

ultron

Reaction score
If we get in the playoffs - which is probably 70% likely to happen now that the Dolphins embarrassed the Eagles & they seem mentally checked out of this season and have a worse coaching staff than ours. If our players can just play up to their potential and play like they played against the Eagles when Doofus Doug Pederson pissed them off by saying they're coming down to Dallas and winning the game, I believe this team can get hot and be very dangerous.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
a
There are many teams that aren't perfect. But they are running the way they want it to be and are in a much better position than this organization will ever be. To be frank, they are not in the same boat as the Cowboys. The Cowboys having been sinking for the last 10 years under this coach and I can't think of any team in the same position as us.

Just last season the 49ers and Ravens were struggling to win games. Now people are saying they are SB favorites. This is football. No team except one knows what the hell they are doing.

clff15701

Reaction score
I don't the the writer of this article has though this through. The cowboys aren't going to let Coop become a free agent. The will overpay Dak to keep that from happening. Not only that Dak knows Coop is his guy. He will sign before he lets anyone grab Coop. We may overpay Dak but Coop will be franchised if he isn't signed. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but I think the NFL allows you to use both a transitional tag and Franchise tag this offseason.

Last edited:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Patience, people. The negotiations on Cooper's deal aren't even going to begin until January. Nothing has happened in talks between the two camps between August and now, so a Dec 1st article on something that hasn't happened and won't begin for another six weeks is premature and kind of needless.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Just last season the 49ers and Ravens were struggling to win games. Now people are saying they are SB favorites. This is football. No team except one knows what the hell they are doing.

49ers and Ravens had some growing pains. Took about 3 years to get to where they are now.

While the Ravens had a rookie QB who started the entire year. Yet the whole coaching staff changed the entire offense to fit Lamar's skills. Notice just about every pass is a play action, bootleg or and RPO. We should run our offense just like the Raven's. But no, Garrett has to do it his way or the highway.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Relax.

Just because they're testing the market doesn't mean they are automatically gone. We have 90 million in cap space next year. We could still resign them.

ghst187

Reaction score
Cooper owes us a bit....he was not headed for the kind of pay day he is now had he stayed with the raiders...

sideon

Reaction score
One is always hurt, drops critical passes, and is only good at home, and the other one has zero ball skills and questionable tackling ability.
Cooper owes us a bit....he was not headed for the kind of pay day he is now had he stayed with the raiders...
Players don't owe organizations anything.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Looks like Amari's agent has refused to negotiate and is heck bent on hitting the open market.

Amari has all the leverage. Jerry will look like a fool if he doesn't sign Amari after giving up a 1st for him. Of course his agent is going to turn the screws. Amari should sue him for malpractice if he doesn't.

The best case scenario was always signing Amari to a way overpriced contract. Worst case, we gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental.

If Jerry didn't want to get gouged for Amari, he shouldn't have traded a pick for a year and a half of contract. Getting gouged was the best case from day one.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

"Owes"

Bwahaha!

I'm sure Cooper's agent will have Cooper give Jerry his heartfelt thanks when he signs for megabucks elsewhere.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Players don't owe organizations anything.

Maybe sometimes.

But guys coming off their rookie deals, traded like horses between teams, owe it to themselves and their families to cash in big once they hit free agency.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Do you all know who the writer of the article is? Jason La canfora, is a notorious Cowboys hater. The team has allocated money for Cooper and Dak. They will get signed. Plus the Cowboys have the franchise and transition tags. The Cowboys will and always will be the talk of the NFL.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amari has all the leverage. Jerry will look like a fool if he doesn't sign Amari after giving up a 1st for him. Of course his agent is going to turn the screws. Amari should sue him for malpractice if he doesn't.

The best case scenario was always signing Amari to a way overpriced contract. Worst case, we gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental.

If Jerry didn't want to get gouged for Amari, he shouldn't have traded a pick for a year and a half of contract. Getting gouged was the best case from day one.

This is where not having a smart GM really kills us. Any decent GM would have had an extension wrapped up prior to making that trade.

John813

Reaction score
Those reports of Mark Davis not wanting to work with Segal seem reasonable now.

Segal wanted top dollar for Mack, which caused Davis to want Gruden/GM to ship him and Cooper off.

Segal is probably telling Cooper that he can get Michael Thomas money if he just holds out till FA.

Jipper

Reaction score
Even if we let cooper go we still will have gotten more out of him than we did from taco who was also a 1st rounder

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If we get in the playoffs - which is probably 70% likely to happen now that the Dolphins embarrassed the Eagles & they seem mentally checked out of this season and have a worse coaching staff than ours. If our players can just play up to their potential and play like they played against the Eagles when Doofus Doug Pederson pissed them off by saying they're coming down to Dallas and winning the game, I believe this team can get hot and be very dangerous.

I think this team ends up 8-8 or 9-7, which is middling. I don’t think we are as talented as we like to think, and that reality coupled with chronically poor coaching has chartered the course of our season and likely underwhelming outcome.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
49ers and Ravens had some growing pains. Took about 3 years to get to where they are now.

While the Ravens had a rookie QB who started the entire year. Yet the whole coaching staff changed the entire offense to fit Lamar's skills. Notice just about every pass is a play action, bootleg or and RPO. We should run our offense just like the Raven's. But no, Garrett has to do it his way or the highway.

Funny you talk about growing pains. They played each other in a super bowl in 2013, completely rebuilt, and are now both contenders again. It's amazing.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Coop will end up a Patriot. Quiet guy that just shows up to work and does his job (very well) without wanting a spotlight? Belichick will be all over him. Yeah, no wonder he wants out of this clownshow.