News: Cooper and Byron Jones probably gone

kskboys

Reaction score
We hear constantly about how this team and that team and this other team and some other team that they can't sign so and so for big money because then they can't sign support players. How this team or that team is way over the cap and will lose tons of good players.

And on and on.

But how often does it ever happen? There are myriads of ways to handle the cap, you can't just take a players total salary and divide it by the number of years in the contract and divide that into the cap. Just doesn't work that way, there are bonuses that can be spread out over several years, outs after a couple of years, and on and on. Seems every year the Patriots are "cap strapped" and yet they continue to win Super Bowls.

The "cap casualty" is a myth in many cases, all the hand wringing and dire warnings of teams with one or two or three really high paid players and the rest of the team a bunch of scrubs is not reality...
It's not a myth at all. Happens all the time.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's not a myth at all. Happens all the time.

Every year some teams are over the cap, yet they somehow magically re-do some contracts and millions of dollars appear.

The Cowboys have money to sign whoever they want, within reason of course. If they don't give a player big money it's due to age, "team chemistry" or whatever.

Whatever they say, cap space is seldom the real reason players aren't signed....

kskboys

Reaction score
Every year some teams are over the cap, yet they somehow magically re-do some contracts and millions of dollars appear.

The Cowboys have money to sign whoever they want, within reason of course. If they don't give a player big money it's due to age, "team chemistry" or whatever.

Whatever they say, cap space is seldom the real reason players aren't signed....
Yeah, but that's not what you said. You claimed salary cap casualties were a myth. They're not!!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This is about leverage.

Coop/BJones both have it. Dallas..not so much.

Show me the money Jerry.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Should have locked up Cooper before Zeke. Could have waited on Zeke’s contract. Not too worried about losing Byron because they can’t sign everyone.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Patriots dumpster dive for wrs. They aren't giving Amari a 4-5 year 80-100 million dollar contract, particularly with Brady year to year in regard to retirement.
I don't think they'll have to. Gut feeling tells me he wants to play for a champion and isn't too worried about the money. He wants to get paid of course, but I don't think he is looking to compete with the Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, and Odell Beckham group.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I completely agree. I also think that one of the things the Patriots do well is not fall in love with their talent. We as fans don't want to see our favorite players go, but New England often lets them walk before they have to pay them (see Trey Flowers and Trent Brown from last year). I'm pretty sure the fans here would be outraged if they had traded Jaylon, Tank, or Byron away before signing them.

I love Cooper with the Cowboys, but I do think it is worth mentioning he was in no one's top 5 WRs before the trade.
Syron--- me has to agree

khiladi

Reaction score
Should have locked up Cooper before Zeke. Could have waited on Zeke’s contract. Not too worried about losing Byron because they can’t sign everyone.

Zeke was sitting out. How exactly would that work if did Cooper’s contract with Zeke sitting out and it’s the RG getting all the favorable matchups on the outside for our WRs?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think they'll have to. Gut feeling tells me he wants to play for a champion and isn't too worried about the money. He wants to get paid of course, but I don't think he is looking to compete with the Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, and Odell Beckham group.

Your gut is baseless. All signs point to Amari being the highest paid WR in the NFL. It just won't be in Dallas.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That is not how it should have worked. You make Oakland extend him or get permission from Oakland to talk to the player. There is no reason Oakland wouldn't have worked with us given a first round pick on the line.

So now we have no leverage at all, and Amari's agent is well aware of it. We have to overpay Amari or the trade looks foolish.

:huh:Franchise tag???????

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Your gut is baseless. All signs point to Amari being the highest paid WR in the NFL. It just won't be in Dallas.

I think there is a pretty good chance Cooper stays here, because Jerry will lose so much face if in the end he gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental.

And really, it will still be a better deal than the Zeke deal.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I think there is a pretty good chance Cooper stays here, because Jerry will lose so much face if in the end he gave up a 1st for a year and a half rental.

They have to hurry up and get Dak's deal done, so they can franchise Cooper. I can't believe they're not negotiating. Using a 1st round pick on a 25 game rental? On top of that, I don't think Michael Gallup is ready to be a number one receiver.

This team......:banghead:

stinkface

Reaction score
Geez, wonder how much different our record would be if we had gone with Pollard instead of Zeke and signed Cooper and Dak to a long term deal. PS. Guessing it would be about 500. BINGO. !

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think its all going to get lost in the fog of a big name coaching hire. Jerry can't start off a new coaching regime in cap hell. It will limit his hiring options. Any coach looking at this job will be thinking "how is this team deficient, and who do I need to add to change it?" If the team is cap strapped, it might make the job less appealing.

The Zeke deal is water under the bridge and Cooper and/or Byron Jones will be the casualty. It was stupid and I was against giving into his hold out from day 1. Zeke is not a generational talent. He is a good rb. If he played in Tampa, nobody would care.

Doomsay

Reaction score
That was the thinking by Dallas, now whether or not things worked out like they thought is another matter all together. Immediately after he got here it looked like an excellent move, and it still could be.

I've criticized Dallas for roster moves many times, but saying now it was a mistake, if it turns out to be one, is classic 20-20 hindsight...
They were trying to save Dak & Garrett for one more season ticket pre-sale