News: Cooper: "I love the play calls"

renny

Reaction score
And this is what scares me...Can Prescott handle this??? I have my doubts w/ his Mississippi State background. It's not like he graduated from Stanford. Throw in his inaccuracy...I'd wait on that extention to make sure he is the right guy for this offense. Like it or not....Kellen Moore is here ot stay. Too many people are already endorsing him as the savior this team needs. Question is..Is Prescott the right guy to pull the trigger?:rolleyes:
Since you have your "DOUBTS" who do you want them to sign? What does him playing for Mississippi State and not Stanford has to do with anything. By the way I don't see many Sanford QB's in the league, that's a personal attack on Prescott.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Did anyone think Kellen Moore being the new OC was going to drastically change the offense?

As bad as it's been, we can always hope.
Nevertheless, I'm still skeptical about whether JG will allow Moore to drastically change Garrett's style of mediocrity.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“It’s not a whole lot different. Its just small variations,” Cooper said of the new system. “We’re really running the same plays, but we’re disguising them. We’re running it basically out of different formations – different shifts and motions to confuse some people. That allows me to do my best when you motion and shift. It kind of confuses the defense and gets them off balance. The more you can confuse that defense, obviously the better it is for the offense. And then, the better it is for me."
Different formations? Shifts? Motions? Confuse the defense?

Doesn't sound like the same offense to me.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As bad as it's been, we can always hope.
Nevertheless, I'm still skeptical about whether JG will allow Moore to drastically change Garrett's style of mediocrity.

This is an utter shame. It has taken us how long under Garrett to realize that we need to add more variety to our offense?
He has basically wasted the talent of this team. Why he still has a job, I don't understand.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Different formations? Shifts? Motions? Confuse the defense?

Doesn't sound like the same offense to me.

The Rams proved you can be basic and still have defenses on their heels with the things you posted above.

As much as i'm against giving Dak a big contract I do think we are better at QB then the Rams.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure where fans get the notion other teams are running a plethora of plays that are utterly unique and high imaginative relative to the Cowboys. As if a post pattern or slant or out is somehow a completely different route for other teams. Disguising plays with motion, running them from different formations, and not being predictable in when they are called is the key. That’s not to say there can’t be wrinkles, and I’m sure there will be, but the reality is the majority of underlying plays are similar in most playbooks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure where fans get the notion other teams are running a plethora of plays that are utterly unique and high imaginative relative to the Cowboys. As if a post pattern or slant or out is somehow a completely different route for other teams. Disguising plays and not being predictable in when they are called is the key. That’s not to say there can’t be wrinkles, and I’m sure there will be, but the reality is the majority of underlying plays are similar in most playbooks.

Pointing out that we score at a higher rate than most, and have for the most part for years under Garrett always goes over like a wet fart in church. This offense limits possessions by design. But when we do have the ball, we score effectively. Last year was a bit of a dip because of the known red zone problems. Not because 'the plays were predictable but only inside the 20.' Nobody wants to hear it, though, because it's more fun to pretend the issue is clock management or play calling or predictability.

Really, you had a QB who can't throw a decent fade, you lacked a quality red zone receiver, and your probowl Center who made running plays at least an option because he can get upfield and cut the field in half at the 2nd level was on IR. You also had more variability in your FG game than you'd had for years under Bailey. It cost us some points.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Once teams figure out the "disguises" theyll notice we just run the same dang plays. Theres only so many ways to disguise the same offense.
If they use a certain set for games 1,2,5,and 9, then a different set for games 3, 4, and 7, and yet another set....well, you see where I'm going with this. They can run the same plays, but if they change the way they disguise them frequently enough, it'll make it very difficult to defend against.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I’m not sure where fans get the notion other teams are running a plethora of plays that are utterly unique and high imaginative relative to the Cowboys. As if a post pattern or slant or out is somehow a completely different route for other teams.
Disguising plays with motion, running them from different formations, and not being predictable in when they are called is the key.
That’s not to say there can’t be wrinkles, and I’m sure there will be, but the reality is the majority of underlying plays are similar in most playbooks.

That's all I'm asking for, disguising plays better and stop being so Garrett-like predictable.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Once teams figure out the "disguises" theyll notice we just run the same dang plays. Theres only so many ways to disguise the same offense.

Of course they will, if you run the same plays or disguises the same way in the same situations all the time! You don't have to be as predictable as Garrett / Linehan.
Hopefully Moore will have the freedom to mix things up for a change.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team has their own dang plays they run, and the majority of them are plays all teams run. A slant or post pattern is no different for the Patriots or Rams than it is for the Cowboys. Disguising and not calling the same plays in the same situations all the time is what teams do to deal with that.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Did anyone think Kellen Moore being the new OC was going to drastically change the offense?
It doesn't have to change but our mentality of "we dont care if you know what's coming" needs to stop.

Taking advantage of alignments and motions can only help, we have to stop being the easiest team to scout.