Cooper Rush as a quality backup QB?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seeing Chiefs' backup QB Matt Moore subbing and delivering points in place of injured Mahomes, he's proving he can be a very reliable backup QB

If Dak Prescott himself were to be injured, and had to sidelined for just a few games (per concussion, bad ankle sprain, hamstring or bruised shoulder) and we needed backup Cooper Rush to sub and manage 3 games for wins – how confident are you in Cooper Rush that he could deliver us enough few wins to help us stay in playoff race, until Dak returns ?

Rush would be OK and better than any backups that played in 2015.

kskboys

Reaction score
Rush would be OK and better than any backups that played in 2015.
For us? Maybe, I guess. Though you must take into account that Weeden appeared to be a viable backup elsewhere. And Rush has not proven he can play at an NFL level, and Cassell has. So, I'd have to disagree w/ you on that.

kskboys

Reaction score
On another far gone Forum,I remember people saying this about Romo when he was riding the pine behind Bledsoe. I cant comment for sure on the small sample preseason games we have seen him in. Unless he was to grow a mustache like Minshew,.....
Whomever was saying it obviously had no backup for their statement. I do.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is a cliche that feels right, but honest question: why is it that we say of college QBs “you can’t teach arm strength” but we also say of promising college trench players “not strong enough yet but give him a year in NFL conditioning program...”?
Arm strength is not about actual arm strength, it's strictly about how hard you can throw.

Being strong enough in the trenches is about actual strength, w/ leverage definitely also being a factor.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
No way to tell until it happens Danny White was a punter until his number was called at QB ya never know till it is show time

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Seeing Chiefs' backup QB Matt Moore subbing and delivering points in place of injured Mahomes, he's proving he can be a very reliable backup QB

If Dak Prescott himself were to be injured, and had to sidelined for just a few games (per concussion, bad ankle sprain, hamstring or bruised shoulder) and we needed backup Cooper Rush to sub and manage 3 games for wins – how confident are you in Cooper Rush that he could deliver us enough few wins to help us stay in playoff race, until Dak returns ?

Yes, Cooper Rush is a quality QB. I would definitely have confidence in him.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Seeing Chiefs' backup QB Matt Moore subbing and delivering points in place of injured Mahomes, he's proving he can be a very reliable backup QB If Dak Prescott himself were to be injured, and had to sidelined for just a few games (per concussion, bad ankle sprain, hamstring or bruised shoulder) and we needed backup Cooper Rush to sub and manage 3 games for wins – how confident are you in Cooper Rush that he could deliver us enough few wins to help us stay in playoff race, until Dak returns ?
The bold words shouldn't even be in the same sentence. The Cowboys have no backup period!

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It is impossible to know if he is a legit backup yet, but the limited evidence so far indicates that he is not. And my magic 8 ball says “Not likely”.
What exactly did you get out of the limited evidence of 3 NFL passes to come to this conclusion?

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
He is? Based on what?

Set aside any scouting reports. You can bring them up if you would like. But I don't make QB judgements until year 3 and beyond. He's in mid 3rd year.

Most everyone has a small sample size on him right now.

He has great pocket presence. Good decision making. He has the accuracy and zip on his throws/ He is aware on the field. He SEEMS to be able to read a defense pre-snap. Please note I have said SEEMS TO. Good footwork. I have seen him step up in the pocket (doesn't get jitter-feet). And he gets rid of the ball quickly. In addition, I have seen him place the ball where it needs to be. Where only the WR has a chance at it. And he is a very smart QB. He's not exactly a noodle-arm QB like some think. He can get it down the field. More of a pocket passer but can get out of the pocket if needed.

This is just my personal assessment. In, obviously no particular order. If given the chance this kid can succeed.

Syron

Reaction score
Set aside any scouting reports. You can bring them up if you would like. But I don't make QB judgements until year 3 and beyond. He's in mid 3rd year.

Most everyone has a small sample size on him right now.

He has great pocket presence. Good decision making. He has the accuracy and zip on his throws/ He is aware on the field. He SEEMS to be able to read a defense pre-snap. Please note I have said SEEMS TO. Good footwork. I have seen him step up in the pocket (doesn't get jitter-feet). And he gets rid of the ball quickly. In addition, I have seen him place the ball where it needs to be. Where only the WR has a chance at it. And he is a very smart QB. He's not exactly a noodle-arm QB like some think. He can get it down the field. More of a pocket passer but can get out of the pocket if needed.

This is just my personal assessment. In, obviously no particular order. If given the chance this kid can succeed.
Sure would be nice if we could put away one or two teams early enough in the games to give him some late game time play.