Cooper vs DLaw-if you can keep 1?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree 100% with CeeDee. Question. Can you explain to me how Kellen can make sure Zeke (knee injury) gets his touches but CeeDee and Cooper can’t get 7 touches combined in the Wildcard game. Someone has got some explaining to do with that one.
It's time for MM to step in and work with Moore to fix the offense.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Fans here seem to forget that the only reason we did “great” without DLaw is because we lucked into Parsons becoming a superstar pass rusher, and Gregory (nutcase and all) on the other side helped.

Also, you can never have enough fresh pass rushers. Those dudes get tired, believe it or not.

WRs are much easier to replace, and I think we can live with the core of Lamb, Gallup (hopefully we can retain for cheap), and Wilson. Draft or sign (Free Agency) a shifty/speedy guy as your 4th and that’s good enough. If we draft OL in round 1, guarantee we don’t “miss” Amari because our run game will take the load off our passing game (which opens up throwing lanes).

fivetwos

Reaction score
With regards to Lawrence (who would be my choice to keep of the two)....

Long term expensive contracts are often done with the understanding that those back end high salary years won't be seen.

Often the team opts to move on, but in this case, he probably wants to stay and the team needs to keep him.

He also has to realize that he isnt a 27 million dollar player so he should be up for a complete new contract....or a total restructure....however it's actually done. Beyond the typical coming year salary paid as a bonus is what I mean.

I feel like that's what ends up happening.

Good info in creating 12.5 m with a Cooper restructure. That's probably how it goes.

Jerry doesn't like breaking up his out of tune band if he can help it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tough one but you have options at WR if you let Cooper go. You can sign Gallup and Wilson and with Lamb still have a good trio at WR.

If you get rid of Lawrence, you have two DEs on the roster - Basham and Golston, who are both total JAGs. Even if you were to bring back Gregory and Armstrong, a rotation of Basham, Golston, Gregory and Armstrong is weak.

Sydla

Reaction score
Keeping and restructure D Law

Try to trade Cooper to JAX if possible for their rd 2 pick if possible. They will take OT at 1 and need a number 1 WR

Yeah, if they choose to move on from Cooper, working a trade would be great.

Grabbing a high #2 pick would give us three nice picks to try to fix the OL and DL, or even go LB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast yesterday, Broaddus was discussing all cap scenarios, management might have to decide to keep either Cooper or DLaw to be able to retain the in-house free agents:

Cooper saves 16 million, 20 million as a post june 1st release. However, they can create 12.5 million if they restructure his deal.

DLaw saves 8 million, 19 as a post june 1st release. They can also restructure his deal again, sign him to extension or even ask him to take a pay cut. He is on the books as a 27 million cap charge this yr and 29 million the following.

It's also very possible that they find a way to keep both.

If you had to make the decision, who would you rather keep?
I would keep cooper. at least he is producing at a higher level releative to his contract. Lawrence is not producing anything close and we showed we can play at high level without him.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Neither. Lawrence has a $27 million cap hit for 2022, & Dallas can’t keep him on the books at that number. Given the fact that Lawrence is getting older & his sack numbers are not rebounding.

As for Coop, unlike most big money contracts, Dallas would save more money by an outright, pre-June 1 release, than they would by restructuring his deal. That makes Coop a prime target for release.

If the Cowboys restructured Coop’s deal they could free up as much as $12.5 million in savings. If they released him before June 1 they would save $16 million, & they could get as much as $20 million in savings if they designated him as a post-June 1 release.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Keeping and restructure D Law

Try to trade Cooper to JAX if possible for their rd 2 pick if possible. They will take OT at 1 and need a number 1 WR

Good luck with that......seriously doubt any team is willing to trade to Coop w/o restructuring his deal at $20M year. That leaves three options for the Cowboys.....trade him to a team of his choice, release him or keep him. In other words, Coop has some leverage where he's traded.....

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I'd keep Coop over D-Law. Especially since Micah Parsons can fill in some of the void.

Coop is not a problem. He is just underutilized. We need a better scheme. This is why I was hoping and wishing for Sean Payton.

Sydla

Reaction score
Good luck with that......seriously doubt any team is willing to trade to Coop w/o restructuring his deal at $20M year. That leaves three options for the Cowboys.....trade him to a team of his choice, release him or keep him. In other words, Coop has some leverage where he's traded.....

It wouldn't be that hard to restructure him for a team acquiring him.

Sandyf

Reaction score
DE is harder to come by but I would keep both. The only way I let Cooper or Lawrence go is by trade and doubt you have any takers due to salary. Cooper would be the easiest to trade but afraid you wouldn't get near the value it deserves. We most likely restructure one or both along with restructures of Martin. I wouldn't bet against them trading Brown and Lewis though.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It wouldn't be that hard to restructure him for a team acquiring him.

Oh, I agree 100% but my point is Coop still has to agree. In other words, I don't see him restructuring for a trade to Jags vs forcing the Cowboys to keep or release him.

My3Sons

Reaction score
I would put them both on the trade block and field any potential offers. Then, pull them both in and offer half their salary to stay.

Lots of options, but you free up 24 million to move on from both.

There are some nice FA options on OL and DL. Build the trenches and draft BPA

quickccc

Reaction score
Remember, Gallowday was injured most the yr with the Lions and still got a huge contract with the Giants. I wouldn't assume Gallup isn't going to get big offers.

i think you mean Kenny Golladay, .. but what was Golladay's injury ?
Was he coming off an ACL injury ?.. Achilles Tendon Heel ?

And those type of serious injuries does matter because you never know how or if that player will rehab and recover as quickly as expected.
Ditto with LB Jabril Cox.

Players may vary and different.- Trysten Hill missed half of the season in recovering from ACL injury while Conner Williams was back by training camp with his own ACL recovery.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'd keep Coop over D-Law. Especially since Micah Parsons can fill in some of the void.

Coop is not a problem. He is just underutilized. We need a better scheme. This is why I was hoping and wishing for Sean Payton.
We need Parsons at linebacker, especially on early downs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i think you mean Kenny Golladay, .. but what was Golladay's injury ?
Was he coming off an ACL injury ?.. Achilles Tendon Heel ?

And those type of serious injuries does matter because you never know how or if that player will rehab and recover as quickly as expected.
Ditto with LB Jabril Cox.

Players may vary and different.- Trysten Hill missed half of the season in recovering from ACL injury while Conner Williams was back by training camp with his own ACL recovery.
I believe Golladay had issues with his hip, he did miss several games this yr with the Giants.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would keep cooper. at least he is producing at a higher level releative to his contract. Lawrence is not producing anything close and we showed we can play at high level without him.
DLaw was real good last season in the games he played in.