Cooper vs DLaw-if you can keep 1?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good luck with that......seriously doubt any team is willing to trade to Coop w/o restructuring his deal at $20M year. That leaves three options for the Cowboys.....trade him to a team of his choice, release him or keep him. In other words, Coop has some leverage where he's traded.....
Cooper is from Florida - he might welcome the trade

RS12

Reaction score
I dont want either at their current rate of pay. Both spend way too much time with the trainer and under performimg when they arent.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to a podcast yesterday, Broaddus was discussing all cap scenarios, management might have to decide to keep either Cooper or DLaw to be able to retain the in-house free agents:

Cooper saves 16 million, 20 million as a post june 1st release. However, they can create 12.5 million if they restructure his deal.

DLaw saves 8 million, 19 as a post june 1st release. They can also restructure his deal again, sign him to extension or even ask him to take a pay cut. He is on the books as a 27 million cap charge this yr and 29 million the following.

It's also very possible that they find a way to keep both.

If you had to make the decision, who would you rather keep?

Neither was with that much money last year. But DLAW needs to go. He hasn't been worth that contract since the day he signed it. At least with Cooper, you can make the argument that he makes Dak better. But, he's not worth 20M per.

Sydla

Reaction score
Oh, I agree 100% but my point is Coop still has to agree. In other words, I don't see him restructuring for a trade to Jags vs forcing the Cowboys to keep or release him.

A restructure would involve converting part of his base to a bonus. The moment the Cowboys do that, they have to pay him and therefore have to then account for the cap hit. So they would want to trade him now without even touching his contract.

The goal of trading him would be for cap savings and maybe some draft comp. But if they restructure him before trading him, they are now on the hook for even more dead money if they then trade him.

So they won't restructure unless they are keeping him.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Oh, I agree 100% but my point is Coop still has to agree. In other words, I don't see him restructuring for a trade to Jags vs forcing the Cowboys to keep or release him.

Refusing to restructure with the Jags would be biting off his nose to spite his face. You trade him and let the Jags deal with him on the contract. It will always be in his interest to restructure, whether he wants to be with the Jags or not, because it converts non-guaranteed money into guaranteed money and gets him paid upfront (increasing the time value of the money).

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
DLaw easy. He just games out of control every time he's out on the field. Cooper runs hot and cold.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Isn’t D-Law dead cap 19 million this year and 11 next year. After that it’s minimal..

quickccc

Reaction score
I continue to wonder if it’s a reason why Cowboys chose not to restructure either Cooper or Dlaw.

- Several other key core members such as Dak, Zeke, Collins, Martin, Tyron have already been approached and requested to restructure, .. but yet those two …?

- Frankly I would want more out of those two and tired of the excuses as to why they are not bigger impact players as they are paid and counted on to be.

- Dlaw hasn’t been able to stay healthy since he re-signed for that big deal.
He hasn’t had double digit sack season since he re-signed that big deal

- And like it or not, Sacks are the “ lead” denominator for edge rusher production awards- whether DPOY, pro bowl and re-signed big dollar contracts
Then comes the rest of the other elements of their game fall into place, ala hurries, run defense, double team, leadership, etc.

quickccc

Reaction score
I continue to wonder if it’s a reason why Cowboys chose not to restructure either Cooper or Dlaw.

- Several other key core members such as Dak, Zeke, Collins, Martin, Tyron have already been approached and requested to restructure, .. but yet those two …?

- Frankly I would want more out of those two and tired of the excuses as to why they are not bigger impact players as they are paid and counted on to be.

- And like it or not, Sacks are the “ lead” denominator for edge rusher production awards- whether DPOY, pro bowl and re-signed big dollar contracts
Then comes the rest of the other elements of their game fall into place, ala hurries, run defense, double team, leadership, etc.

Every year it seems like DLaw is gonna go thru something with hampering, limiting injuries,
I’ll hear from sympathizing fans as “ we’re a better team with Dlaw .. (or Cooper) than without “

- But that doesn’t warrant injury prone, underachieving seasons for that kind of cap problem pricing contracts.

- These are not dominant takeover alpha male players. They are Beta’s not Alpha’s.
Is it just the market tendencies and nature to be to overpay for B-tier, Beta players ?

glimmerman

Reaction score

Its always something with D-Law and he misses alot of games. Cooper just disappears. Then wants the ball. I don’t know if he is doubled or covered or open and Dak isn’t looking..

quickccc

Reaction score
To Answer the Question at hand.

I'd keep DLaw over Cooper as some have already mentioned, it's harder to come by pass rushers as it is WRs
If i get back my other two experienced WRs to add with my first round pick CeeDee Lamb and the way we spread ball around (pre-slump)

Plus Cooper is not an elite WR that is gonna beat the elite better press coverage CBs.
i think we can get enuff WR production, ..the pass rush (or lack thereof) was more noticeable with Dlaw and Gregory out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to a podcast yesterday, Broaddus was discussing all cap scenarios, management might have to decide to keep either Cooper or DLaw to be able to retain the in-house free agents:

Cooper saves 16 million, 20 million as a post june 1st release. However, they can create 12.5 million if they restructure his deal.

DLaw saves 8 million, 19 as a post june 1st release. They can also restructure his deal again, sign him to extension or even ask him to take a pay cut. He is on the books as a 27 million cap charge this yr and 29 million the following.

Good conversation starter.
:thumbup:

If I have to pick one, I'm going with Cooper. While both are overpaid, he's coming closer to earning his contract than Lawrence is.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score

Coopers a top 3 or 4 player on this team. He’s essential.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
To Answer the Question at hand.

I'd keep DLaw over Cooper as some have already mentioned, it's harder to come by pass rushers as it is WRs
If i get back my other two experienced WRs to add with my first round pick CeeDee Lamb and the way we spread ball around (pre-slump)

Plus Cooper is not an elite WR that is gonna beat the elite better press coverage CBs.
i think we can get enuff WR production, ..the pass rush (or lack thereof) was more noticeable with Dlaw and Gregory out.
All false. Gallup got exposed a few times. R Bing cooper means skinny 4.5 lamb has to face the top corner every game AND press coverage.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Like someone said, we did not miss Dlaw when he was gone. He had a couple good games with fresh legs and dissappeared. It would be the worst idea ever to restructure him! Cooper saves you money and he is done with Dak. Might as well just let him go because it could get ugly. Just resign Wilson and try to get Gallup on the cheap but I would not pay big bucks for him. Just invest in the lines, no reason to give Dak weapons that he is incapable of using!