Cooper vs DLaw-if you can keep 1?

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'd like to keep both but forced to pick...i go with dlaw.

plasticman

Reaction score
For what they are currently being paid? Neither.

For that much money I expected to see 1500 yards from Cooper and double digit sacks from Lawrence. I get that they were hurt but neither set the world on fire when they were healthy enough and they both disappeared for long stretches of time including the playoffs.

Players get that much money for what they contribute in the playoffs.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
For what they are currently being paid? Neither.

For that much money I expected to see 1500 yards from Cooper and double digit sacks from Lawrence. I get that they were hurt but neither set the world on fire when they were healthy enough and they both disappeared for long stretches of time including the playoffs.

Players get that much money for what they contribute in the playoffs.
My biggest problem with the NFL. Teams are destroyed when their franchise players either don't play up to expectations or are injured. Salary cap keeps them from getting others.
I think the NFL should change all their contract setups to base salary plus incentives. This way when a young player overachieves they get paid, and when an older one is hurt or doesn't perform, they don't get paid. It would allow the team to have salary cap money to get someone if a player were injured -- player still getting paid some money, but not getting star money for not performing. People on IR get base salary, but it doesn't count against cap and they must be on IR for XX games.

The players union could work to get the % paid to players, and books open. Owners make X, Coaches make Y, players make Z, operations gets W.

The winning team gets to use XXX when they win and only YYY when they lose. Everyone shares in the profit or loss but $$$$ losses would be fewer and farther away.
Players couldn't complain about their $$$ as perform better, and get paid better.
Coaches wouldn't need to jump ship all the time.
Owners wouldn't have to deal with all the $$$$ losses as it would go to everyone, and owners also wouldn't make the mass majority of the profit at times.

All excess money to be sent to the league to be shared equally among the teams to pay players on IR, but sending team gets X % as bonus for doing so well marketing, etc. Owners wouldn't have to raise ticket prices screwing fans every time they have a winning season because they wouldn't get the big payoff, it would end up going back to the league.

Everyone would have an incentive to win --- which is all the fans want anyway. More winning, more $$$.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
D Law. Time to cut Coop loose. No need to have an abundance of high assets at the WR position when the philosophy should move toward running the ball.

Gorgon

Reaction score
Why keep a 7 when you can go back out and find a 10.

Honestly both have been good players but neither is worth their salary, not to say they aren't good players but value isn't there.

I'd be fine trading either honestly, this team needs to shake stuff up

Agree with this. Cooper is probably our best route runner, but in terms of breakaway, obviously Lamb and Gallup are a little better.

Lawrence has been inconsistent. There was no huge gain when he returned to the lineup. Now, it's entirely possible that Quinn, despite the improvement in the D, never did
really figure out how to use Lawrence, Parsons, and Gregory together to their utmost. Still, with Parsons and Gregory, DE is less a pressing issue as a pass rushing position than is OL.

plasticman

Reaction score
My biggest problem with the NFL. Teams are destroyed when their franchise players either don't play up to expectations or are injured. Salary cap keeps them from getting others.
I think the NFL should change all their contract setups to base salary plus incentives. This way when a young player overachieves they get paid, and when an older one is hurt or doesn't perform, they don't get paid. It would allow the team to have salary cap money to get someone if a player were injured -- player still getting paid some money, but not getting star money for not performing. People on IR get base salary, but it doesn't count against cap and they must be on IR for XX games.

The players union could work to get the % paid to players, and books open. Owners make X, Coaches make Y, players make Z, operations gets W.

The winning team gets to use XXX when they win and only YYY when they lose. Everyone shares in the profit or loss but $$$$ losses would be fewer and farther away.
Players couldn't complain about their $$$ as perform better, and get paid better.
Coaches wouldn't need to jump ship all the time.
Owners wouldn't have to deal with all the $$$$ losses as it would go to everyone, and owners also wouldn't make the mass majority of the profit at times.

All excess money to be sent to the league to be shared equally among the teams to pay players on IR, but sending team gets X % as bonus for doing so well marketing, etc. Owners wouldn't have to raise ticket prices screwing fans every time they have a winning season because they wouldn't get the big payoff, it would end up going back to the league.

Everyone would have an incentive to win --- which is all the fans want anyway. More winning, more $$$.
That's exactly what I have been thinking about.

All owners put their salary cap in a pool that is shared by all teams depending on the performance of the players. Each player starts off with a base salary depending on starts, position, and years in the league..

I would make the final payouts a combination of team and individual player achievements. A player gets paid more for achieving certain statistical goals and for the won/loss record of their teams as well as each victory in the playoffs. The higher the playoff level, the higher the bonus.

Also they would receive bonuses for awards like MVP,, ROY,, etc.

Your exactly right about creating an incentive for teamwork.

Of course the NFL would never adopt such a sensible policy. that would eliminate player agents, holdouts, and cap manipulation.

Cowfan75

Reaction score

Honestly both have been good players but neither is worth their salary, not to say they aren't good players but value isn't there.

Yup. Dak ain't going anywhere, so Cooper will continue to be unhappy. D-Law isn't very good. We're closer to a rebuild than a win-now, so let them both go.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well, I like coop like I said. But I am also a believer of keeping the team younger. I'd rather have both Lamb and a healed Gallup here because of youth. Receivers are not a problem here in Dallas.
Yeah we used to have good LB depth. Now I think we need another good one..

Einstein

Reaction score
We got Coop because he creates the most separation from DB in the NFL, and that is what Dak needed at the time. He continues to do that, but just isn't targeted for whatever reason. I honestly hope we can figure out a way to reduce both of their salaries and keep both of them... coin toss if I had to pick which one to let go as they both have strengths and weaknesses

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast yesterday, Broaddus was discussing all cap scenarios, management might have to decide to keep either Cooper or DLaw to be able to retain the in-house free agents:

Cooper saves 16 million, 20 million as a post june 1st release. However, they can create 12.5 million if they restructure his deal.

DLaw saves 8 million, 19 as a post june 1st release. They can also restructure his deal again, sign him to extension or even ask him to take a pay cut. He is on the books as a 27 million cap charge this yr and 29 million the following.

It's also very possible that they find a way to keep both.

If you had to make the decision, who would you rather keep?
Blah ,
Let both go !

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depends. If you promise me I’m getting Payton next year he’ll actually know how to use Cooper. If not might as well let him go.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Cooper is better at what he does. A rookie came in and surpassed Lawrence. Lamb scans but and stil is t better than cooper.

Xeven

Reaction score
Neither, draft rookies and use CD and Gallop. Draft young hoss DE. Parson can fill in till rookie gets up to speed.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Exactly!
Both these guys are replaceable the way they are playing now.